How do I play GTA2 multiplayer online or on LAN?
The easiest way to play online is with GTA2 Game Hunter. If you want to do it the manual way or play on LAN then follow the instructions below:
- Find a GTA2 player with broadband
- Tell your friend your IP address [show_ip]. If you are playing on LAN then you could get your IP internal by running cmd.exe and typing IPCONFIG or just leave it blank.
- Start GTA2 Manager.exe
- Click Network, select TCP/IP and leave protocol connection blank
- Click Start Network Game
- Enter a name for your player and click create
- Select the map and other game settings
- Tell your friend to join your game and then wait.
- Get the host IP address and copy it to the clipboard.
- Start GTA2 Manager.
- Click Network, select TCP/IP and put the host IP address in the protocol connection box (on LAN you can leave it blank or put the LAN IP).
- Click Start Network Game.
- If you see your friends game then click Join.
- Close anything that is using bandwidth or any app that could popup a window and wait for the host to start.
If this doesn’t work then make sure you have the right IP address and check if you are behind a router or a firewall is in the way. Remove it if you can and try for a direct connection or if you are smart and you know how to setup your firewall/router then you can forward these ports:
2300-2400 TCP/UDP ( forward the whole range, 100 ports )
GTA2 router setup info – It used to be more detailed but now it just links to portforward.com since they have screenshots for hundreds of routers.
If it doesn’t work then read the GTA2 multiplayer FAQ. On a LAN, UPnP and firewalls can still be a problem, so try and disable both of those.