Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger
GH nick: Shrooblord

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.0) Beta

Post by Shrooblord »

Cool to see you're still working on this thing! It looks even better than before!

I had one suggestion though: you know how there's police and hospital zones in the original Level Editor? Why have these options been omitted in your newer Editor?

For the rest, keep it up! It looks amazing.
Shrooblord is here and ready to mod, map and go mad with GTA2!
I applaud TradeMark for the GTA2 Map Editor!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Shrooblord wrote:Cool to see you're still working on this thing! It looks even better than before!

I had one suggestion though: you know how there's police and hospital zones in the original Level Editor? Why have these options been omitted in your newer Editor?

For the rest, keep it up! It looks amazing.
Thanks! nice to see you here, i thought you're never coming back :D

The zones: People told me those zones have no functionality in GTA2 so i removed them from the list.

I could add them back though, via options, but as i said, theyre not used for anything, so i ask you, where do you need them?

Edit: its already supported, go to settings.cfg and set "show_all_zone_types = yes"
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

the next version will have during production time the (internal) codename 'penguin'. :P
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Shrooblord »

T.M. wrote:Thanks! nice to see you here, i thought you're never coming back :D

The zones: People told me those zones have no functionality in GTA2 so i removed them from the list.

I could add them back though, via options, but as i said, theyre not used for anything, so i ask you, where do you need them?

Edit: its already supported, go to settings.cfg and set "show_all_zone_types = yes"
Haha - if I disappear, I come back sooner or later. I will almost never completely abandon something, unless people there annoy me so much that I just don't care anymore or if the place has died and hasn't shown activity for let's say 3 months.

Well, the Editor said they were zones in which Police cars and Firetrucks and Hospital cars would appear more frequently, so I was planning to use that. However, now you've told me that they have no functionality, I will discard that idea. Do you know how to add this same effect though?

Ah, ok - I'll look through options next time. It's just that I didn't bother looking, because every time I check something in the options dropdown menus, they are unchecked again as soon as I want to see if what I did worked. Also, the effect they're supposed to have never appears, so I thought the menu was some kind of eyecandy or feature only enabled for your own version of the program (which did sound strange to me, yes, but I couldn't think of another explanation other than "it's bugged" and I didn't want to assume that immediately).
So if it IS a realy menu, you might want to look into that. I use Windows XP SP3, if that helps you locate the problem.

PS
This is rather off-topic, but I've never seen this icon in-game before: [remote]
Is it a real icon or is it fan-made? If it's real, what does it do? It looks like a robot-head or something... does it summon an army of elite robot minions?! :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Shrooblord wrote:Is it a real icon or is it fan-made? If it's real, what does it do? It looks like a robot-head or something... does it summon an army of elite robot minions?!
It's a real icon, not fan made. It's a remote control. edit: It's used in at least one of remote control car missions. It doesn't actually do anything other than let the player know that you can control a car from that place but you still have to add the the location check and remote control code.
T.M. wrote:Does anyone actually use the TAB feature in my map editor?
You mean the minimap displayed when pushing tab key? I don't use it.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Sektor wrote:intended for the remote control car missions but I don't think it was ever used officially.
It is used in the [scientist] SRS mission Taxi Traitor Test!:
You just lost the game.
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Shrooblord »

Gustavob wrote: It is used in the [scientist] SRS mission Taxi Traitor Test!:
Oh that's just awesome. So, you can put that object in any map, also multiplayer, and then you get your own remote controlled car?! Terrific!
Hey, in that video, aroun 2:58, the car smashes a police car - however, the police does not start chasing him. Does this mean you have police invulnerability in a remote car?

--
Back on-topic, were you planning on adding an 'add block' mode to the editor, TradeMark? If I didn't have to switch between the official editor for map editing and yours for all the other awesome stuff, it would be a lot less time-consuming to make maps.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Shrooblord wrote:So, you can put that object in any map, also multiplayer, and then you get your own remote controlled car?! Terrific!
You can place it in any map, but it won't automatically give you a remote controlled car, you must script the area check (locate character on foot) then TAKE_REMOTE_CONTROL_OF_CAR ( playername, carname ).
Shrooblord wrote:Hey, in that video, aroun 2:58, the car smashes a police car - however, the police does not start chasing him. Does this mean you have police invulnerability in a remote car?
Police just doesn't figure out its you who is controlling the RC car. You're not inside the car so there's no way they can figure it out :P. Although a weird thing is that if you find a pedestrian cop while you're controlling the RC vehicle, they'll just go crazy screaming "freeze freeze hold it hold it freeze hold it freeze!" near you
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Shrooblord wrote:Well, the Editor said they were zones in which Police cars and Firetrucks and Hospital cars would appear more frequently, so I was planning to use that. However, now you've told me that they have no functionality, I will discard that idea. Do you know how to add this same effect though?
I dont know how to add this functionality, not that i know why would you want them to appear more frequently? (they wont appear unless you kill people, if you were hoping to see them on normal traffic).
Shrooblord wrote:Ah, ok - I'll look through options next time. It's just that I didn't bother looking, because every time I check something in the options dropdown menus, they are unchecked again as soon as I want to see if what I did worked. Also, the effect they're supposed to have never appears, so I thought the menu was some kind of eyecandy or feature only enabled for your own version of the program (which did sound strange to me, yes, but I couldn't think of another explanation other than "it's bugged" and I didn't want to assume that immediately).
So if it IS a realy menu, you might want to look into that. I use Windows XP SP3, if that helps you locate the problem.
What menu option are you talking about? the fix to use the hidden zones were for the settings.cfg file only, there is no menu option for that in this release (i added it in next release directly to the place where you select zonetype).

And if you wonder why the menu options never stay selected, its a "bug" that i havent fixed, but it doesnt mean the options doesnt work, i dont think there is any options which doesnt have functions in the menu.
Shrooblord wrote:Back on-topic, were you planning on adding an 'add block' mode to the editor, TradeMark? If I didn't have to switch between the official editor for map editing and yours for all the other awesome stuff, it would be a lot less time-consuming to make maps.
Yes, that is on my plans, its been for long time. I dont know when i am going to implement it, it requires complete rewrite of my rendering system so its time consuming and it requires lots of planning to make it good.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Who wants simcity? :mrgreen: (click to see larger)

Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Big picture is big... of course it can't be Sim City because there is no coal power station next to residential areas :twisted: Everyone loves that pollution!

On a slightly more serious note - is this multiple pictures stitched together or something?

If you say this is a new feature I will laugh - a lot. =P
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:On a slightly more serious note - is this multiple pictures stitched together or something?
yeah, but i will make it automated like the big map image generator is atm.
Pyro wrote:If you say this is a new feature I will laugh - a lot. =P
yes... it is a new feature, whats so funny with that ? :shock:
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

that isometric view is awesome.
now we just need a simcity to gta2 converter
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

T.M. wrote:yes... it is a new feature, whats so funny with that ? :shock:
Just that the most common pictures are the top-down views (useful for GH map previews) and various other pictures at different angles for promo shots. A picture this size is completely unnecessary tbh. Not sure why you put these strange things in when it still lacks even a basic block editor? :roll: Things like your map viewer, zone editor, script viewer/editor etc are very useful, but things like this will probably be used once and never again (useful vs gimmick - this feature is the latter).
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:Just that the most common pictures are the top-down views (useful for GH map previews) and various other pictures at different angles for promo shots. A picture this size is completely unnecessary tbh.
yeah i just made it big to show the capabilities and for some lulz. you can make this useful if you adjust the angle so you can see behind buildings but still see some height difference, for example:
example
example
isometryvsflat2.gif (568.48 KiB) Viewed 23275 times
Pyro wrote:Not sure why you put these strange things in when it still lacks even a basic block editor? :roll: Things like your map viewer, zone editor, script viewer/editor etc are very useful, but things like this will probably be used once and never again (useful vs gimmick - this feature is the latter).
Well, would you use the map block editor if i made it ? and would you stop complaining about the small (fun, yet useless, to you) things i add once in a while to keep this project up and running ?
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

T.M. wrote:Well, would you use the map block editor if i made it ?
I thought that was the point of your entire project - to make a replacement for the DMA Editor, block editor and all. So yes, of course I would use it. I use the tools in it currently while swapping back and forth from the DMA Editor, so I'd be glad (and every other mapper for that matter!) to use a proper block editor and would be extremely grateful if you could make this a reality. Right now it's kinda like an awesome car but without an engine!
T.M. wrote:and would you stop complaining about the small (fun, yet useless, to you) things i add once in a while to keep this project up and running ?
Again, you seem to take my comments as an overall complaint - it's not. If you want to put something like this in, sure, carry on, but it is more of a niche thing to use and your time could possibly be used elsewhere for greater effect/gain. I'm no programmer and I admire what you can do for what is basically something you do in your free time, though we've been through all this before so won't put it here again (see earlier posts). Stuff like this would be nice to see after some rudimentary block editor is in place and working rather than before!

[respect]
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The main problem with the DMA Editor was the tile viewer and since that's been worked around, there's less of a need for a better map editor.

I'd just like to be able to add new objects and then you can rewrite the whole thing and turn it into a top down game engine :)

Adding some simple physics and a car to drive around would actually be less code than the block editor but also less useful unless it got extended to multiplayer.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Perhaps you can combine replay files of all the players in a multiplayer game and so people can see the complete battle in your editor. People can than record the action in different angles. Haha, just like MW2 were it follows the grenade, but now people can follow the rocket. :-)

If you are not gonna make a block editor, perhaps improve the switching between the two programs. Like auto-switching between your editor en the block editor.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

Sektor wrote:Adding some simple physics and a car to drive around would actually be less code than the block editor but also less useful unless it got extended to multiplayer.
One should join forces with BlackPhoenix and make some game finally.
Too bad that BP doesn't work on OpenGTA2 anymore.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:your time could possibly be used elsewhere for greater effect/gain. I'm no programmer and I admire what you can do for what is basically something you do in your free time
well, yeah, i could use all my time for only "useful" stuff, but i dont feel like it... i guess its something you would understand only if you were a programmer who is doing programming on his free time, for free. its not that simple as just telling myself to do something... i need to want it myself too.
Sektor wrote:The main problem with the DMA Editor was the tile viewer and since that's been worked around, there's less of a need for a better map editor.

I'd just like to be able to add new objects and then you can rewrite the whole thing and turn it into a top down game engine :)

Adding some simple physics and a car to drive around would actually be less code than the block editor but also less useful unless it got extended to multiplayer.
exactly my thoughts. in fact im am planning to add some sort of multiplayer mode there atm, as i am playing with winsocks now.
Cuban-Pete wrote:Perhaps you can combine replay files of all the players in a multiplayer game and so people can see the complete battle in your editor. People can than record the action in different angles. Haha, just like MW2 were it follows the grenade, but now people can follow the rocket. :-)

If you are not gonna make a block editor, perhaps improve the switching between the two programs. Like auto-switching between your editor en the block editor.
i think we've talked about this few times, and, sadly, i think this will never be possible, unless someone makes some sort of program that records the GTA2 memory and stores the players positions at each frame... that will be hard though, and i dont think anyone would do it.

i will make the block editor, in time. ;-)