Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (only Zone Editor currently)

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:Can you add a way to refresh map.mis file without reloading the map?
Hmm, good idea yeah, i should add some buttons to reload files you want. That will not be done in long time though. added to my long todo list :)
Sektor wrote:Shift+D to duplicate selected zone is a strange hotkey. I'm used to ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste. It's not going to clipboard though, so maybe not using copy/paste hotkeys is fine. I can get used to anything.
The shift+d hotkey is from Blender ;) and i think it fits, since you dont need to put it in clipboard at all...
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

If it's used by blender then that makes sense.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Yeah, at first it felt weird for me too in Blender, but then i realised: why the fuck i need to put it to clipboard at all? :lol: just makes things faster when it instantly copies/places it there.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Lots of things changed in this release, also it wont load the map at startup anymore, more info:

------------------------------------
0.5.20 Beta (21.02.2010)
------------------------------------
- Added menu and status bar: some command line functions are in the menu now. Note: the checkboxes in the menu arent working yet: they only declare which of the settings are default at this moment. Statusbar will now display short info about the functions in the menu.

- Intense CPU usage fixed. Will now give more FPS on bad computers.

- Editor will not load a map on startup anymore.

- Added .mmp file list on startup. Use mouse wheel to scroll the list if theres too many maps.

- Blurred terrain fixed when looking terrain with oblique angle. (not supported on all cards). Unfortunately the terrain looks uglier at farthest areas with oblique angle, switch it off if you are taking screenshots where you see this texture bleeding. (Options -> Rendering settings -> Use anisotropic filtering). Create file "noanisotropy.txt" if you dont want to use this by default.

- Camera will now automatically find where the map area is on the 256x256 square and then center the camera in middle of the found area.

- Editor will now remember your window size.

- New key: F11 now hides/shows the menu and status bar.

- New key: CTRL+F1 to display quick open file list.

- Mousewheel zoom direction reverted.

- Enabling the zone editor will now change the rendering mode to 2d automatically. (and back to 3d when zone editor is off).

- Zone editor cannot be used with free camera mode anymore.

- You can now use JPG, TGA, and BMP images for skyboxes.

- Added command "CHEATS" to disable/enable cheats when testing map. (Options -> GTA2).

- Added command "SNAPCAMERAMOV" to make camera movement use one block precision, just like in old GTA2 map editor. (Options -> Camera settings).

- Added error messages when style or GMP files were not found.

- Fixed rotation keys (Q/E) to work properly, and made them to have the same rotation/speed ratio, so your rotation direction doesnt change when you change speed (shift/control/neither).

- Added setting to switch randomized water tiles off, so you will see the map as it was made at the first place. (Options -> Rendering settings).

- Fixed duplicate maps being in the map list when some GMP/STY filenames had different case for the string letters.

- Added some history in the end of this changelog file.

- Added "thanks to" in the readme.txt, if you should be there, let me know, i might have missed someone.

----

New rendering method gives better quality:
Old rendering method used at left. Notice how the roof is not blurred at all at the right part of the image! (the roof at left side of the right part of the image :D )
Last edited by T.M. on 21 Feb 2010, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It works great for me. More than 100 FPS. It's starting to become user friendly, sort of :)
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Updated my graphics drivers from a 2004 release to the most recent, 2006 release. It's made a world of difference! I guess OpenGL support improved a lot during those 2 years. 8-)
  • I'm consistently getting 10-20 FPS.
  • The yellow performance text is now showing. (I turned off skybox so you can see it more easily.)
  • In top-down view, the second number is usually over 200 and sometimes over 300.
  • The colours, the big tile selector, the distant views...with DMA Editing controls this will be epic for making levels!
  • I love the level selector! It's just how I imagine Game Hunter should be, although that would also have a "number of players" control.
The menus look really promising. I'll give feedback on naming, arranging and shortcuts at some point. Maybe after they do stuff. ;)
Attachments
Vedic Temple in "free camera mode" with FPS details.
Vedic Temple in "free camera mode" with FPS details.
Viewing the whole peninsular after hiding the sidebar.
Viewing the whole peninsular after hiding the sidebar.
FPS: 016 / 305 in Top Down view! Player start positions are shown. All the textures look amazing.
FPS: 016 / 305 in Top Down view! Player start positions are shown. All the textures look amazing.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

nice! so it was the opengl problem.

btw you can get more FPS when you disable debug text (F) for me its really slow. i need to find out better font rendering :/

also try disabling anisotropic filtering to get more FPS, options -> rendering settings

also try F1 and smaller window size, map grids off too (ctrl+x) , to see if you can reach 60 fps ;)

Edit: also when you are in free camera mode, press F5 and number 2 to set the view rectangle size smaller, then you get more fps and you may be able to fly decently ;)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

i strted to creating 3d models in sketchup to your editor (like powerups, weapons). But i found out that there is no extension except sketchup`s
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Razor wrote:But i found out that there is no extension except sketchup`s
You could try Anim8or, it exports in .an8 format and in some other 3d formats also. and its free
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Razor wrote:Image

i strted to creating 3d models in sketchup to your editor (like powerups, weapons). But i found out that there is no extension except sketchup`s
Nice! You dont need to animate them, its just simple rotation animation anyways, really easy to do in opengl. Just dont make too high poly models ;)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

One tiny little comment, the program does not have an icon when running (like in task-bar or left top corner). :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

My editor you mean? hmm... youre right, i dont know how to add it there though.

Edit: i figured it out, now it has icon there too 8-)
Last edited by T.M. on 24 Feb 2010, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

here you have sketchup model http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 9ae9b9b837

how do you want to extract it from sketchup?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Hmm... i dont know about the formats, but if you know some format that is simple to read (like .raw) that has vertex data and color data (you dont use textures there right?) then its good for me :roll:

Edit: maybe its best if i download this "sketchup" program myself and try to open your model there and then export to something else.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

no txt and you can open it in Collada whahtever it is
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

yeah, seems like Blender can open it, i just need to install one more program before i can do that :roll:
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

try it and tell me if that work
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I got it open now, and i cant really use this... it has lots of useless polygons inside the model etc, you should just use Blender instead and optimize the model with it.

Edit: 2384 faces with your model, 928 faces after optimizing it with blender :roll: saved: 1456 faces
Last edited by T.M. on 24 Feb 2010, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The 2D object sprites would be fine for me and they would change when the user changes the STY file. Just being able to place objects into the mis file by clicking instead of typing would be really nice (I know you planned it already).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Just tried out the minimap export, using File > Save > Minimap. Works great! I'm now using the image from your tool to promote MultiSlayer.

Might save a JPEG version and include that as slayer.jpg so GH 1.5 picks it up.

(EDIT) Can you render Dusk mode? :P
Attachments
Minimap of MultiSlayer City exported from TM's editor.
Minimap of MultiSlayer City exported from TM's editor.