Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (0.5.28) (Only zone editor a

Post by BenMillard »

The feature I'm interested in is automatically using original .sty files from the gta2\data folder. Normal result of the code would be simple:
  • Found GH key for GTA2 path.
  • Folder exists.
  • Found file gta2.exe inside it.
  • Found folder data\ inside it.
  • Found missing file *.sty.
  • No need to pester the user at any point before, during or after these steps.
If you want to provide a version selector to launch the currently selected level in different versions and installs of GTA2, that's OK. But that isn't the feature I'm talking about. 8-)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Oh well, i guess i could just use the GH regkey for opening the MMP files :D
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The other exe files aren't meant to be used for launching the game (Old versions of GH overwrote gta2.exe depending on what version game you tried to join but now it just expects you to have the latest version). GTA2 needs its exe named gta2.exe because it's hardcoded to do a checksum and read the version number from gta2.exe.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

tiny bug report: when enabling stereogram the text in the menu doesn't change to disable

btw: this editor is awesome
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Yeah all those "ticks" in the menu arent working, yet! I will make them work at some day :roll:

I think you are the first one who tried the stereogram mode :o
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Great news guys; the script object selector was easier than i thought: i will make the script objects movable soon! Now you can click the object and copy the code to clipboard. Also you can see the object name and type when your mouse is over the object.

Also added cropping tool for big map images!

------------------------------------
0.5.32 Beta (16.07.2010)
------------------------------------
- Added cropping tool for big map images, you can now safely take largest tilesize map images without using 1GB of memory to it! (unless you crop it to render the whole map...). Use numpad2 to enable/disable, or: 'File -> Save image -> map image -> select area'. Or: 'Display -> Map image cropping tool'. Also the saved image default name doesnt have "BIG_" at beginning anymore, and it has the image resolution inside brackets.

- Added possibility to see objects variablenames/types by moving mouse on them.

- Added possibility to copy the selected script object code line into clipboard by clicking the object, note: you have to enable cursor coordinates first (Display -> Cursor coordinates / Object selector), (or press numpad1). Note: It still copies the cursor coordinate if you dont point any script objects. Note: sprites can be selected through visible walls.

- Image saving from menu will now be handled by Windows save dialogs; you can choose filename and location yourself. Note: if you type the filetype yourself, the image will be saved with that file format, (it doesnt force the selected filetype from the list if you typed for example ".bmp" in the end of the file name). Note: F12 for screenshots still works without need to use dialogs.

- Added menu option to reload "settings.cfg" (all 3 of them). (File -> Reload -> Setting files).

- Added commandline option to generate minimap image from mmp file or sty+gmp files, example of .bat file contents: "mapeditor.exe -saveminimap -mmp "C:\GTA 2\data\mymap.mmp" -out "J:\minimap.jpg" -size 512 -jpg_quality 10 -bluewater 1" (without starting and ending quotemarks). Use "-sty" and "-gmp" to define style and map file paths (if you dont want to use "-mmp"), "-mmp" for the multiplayer map file (.mmp), "-out" defines the output image file path, allowed filetypes: BMP, TGA, JPG. Note: All files must be FULL PATHS to the file (like in the examples). Notice!: Always use quotemarks around file paths (if you have spaces in the paths, it will break without quotemarks). Preferred to always use quotemarks on file paths. "-size" defines output image width and height, accepts values: 256, 512, 1024 and 2048. "-jpg_quality" defines the compression ratio, 1 = best, 100 = worst. "-bluewater" 1 or 0, will render blue water if the sty file is using default GTA2 water tiles. Extra params: "-benchmark 1" writes program processing time in seconds into file "benchmark.txt" in the editor folder. "-debug 1" can be used to see what went wrong on image saving (will give popup message).

- Changed some setting names in the setting files, means you cant use the old setting files anymore! Also made it more clearer which settings are boolean, int or float values; bool values use yes/no, floats always have dot in them, int values doesnt have dots. Note: you can still use 1/0 or true/false in the boolean values. Also float values still accept numbers without dot etc.

- Water color will not be dependent on the style file names anymore; all maps that use the default GTA2 water tiles will be converted into blue water color by default. (It only checks first 4 pixels from each 12 water tiles, so there is a possibility for error (unlikely)).

- Fixed whining about GTA2 path when opening MMP files; now it uses GH regkey to get the path to seek missing gmp/sty files (if you didnt set the GTA2 path in editor yet).

- Fixed possible crash on map load.

- Fixed multiple crashes on invalid style files (some gta1 maps converted to gta2 format had invalid data in them).

- Cleaned up a lot of code again, may cause more unexpected crashes, please report all crashes/bugs you get!

- Default filetype in 'File -> Open...' is now GMP instead of MMP.

- Switching anisotropic texture filter on/off doesnt require map reload anymore.

- Improved zone editor zone rendering speed a bit; now renders only those zones that you can see.

- Added menu option to set default layout for visible script objects (as it is at startup). (Options -> Script objects -> Default layout).

- Added possibility to save/load camera position/angle. (Options -> Camera settings -> Camera position / rotation).

- Added settings to change camera movement and rotation speed multipliers: rot_speed_ratio (relative to cam_movespeed's), cam_movespeed_slow, cam_movespeed_normal, cam_movespeed_fast. (in "settings.cfg").

- Fixed editor popping on if you pressed ESC in some other program. Also now the ESC button works only if you have launched GTA2.exe from the map editor.

- Removed block selector from cursor coordinate picker.

- Changed coordinate picker mouse position cube into a cross.

- Added possibility to change the coordinate picker clipboard output string format, use coord_pattern variable in"settings.cfg", example to output only 1 decimal precision: %.1f, %.1f, %.1f (note that the white space is stripped out at end and at beginning the of the string). WARNING: if you dont use exactly 3 float values (%f) in the format: the editor may crash! Note: the values are always rounded down.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (0.5.32) (Only zone editor a

Post by Sektor »

Very cool!
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Hey, nice updates. Looking forward to moveable script objects 8-) Now, more comments!
  • The clicking for co-ordinates is quite useful although as I've mentioned before they don't need to be at two decimal places, one decimal place will suffice!
  • When clicking an object for the first time so it shows the outline box around it it automatically copies the details to clipboard, surely it should be click first to highlight and then click again for details? Not essential really but a minor point.
  • Like above, that feature isn't actually that useful if you think about it. I need to code the object/vehicle/whatever first for it to appear, then I click on it only to tell me its co-ordinates and other details which I already know because I coded it 10 seconds ago! ;)
  • Not all object types seem to be rendered, example would be a briefcase. Not sure if there are more but I remember you added a few more before.
  • Showing characters is rather cool, I like it! Since you use a proper model, perhaps you could maybe update the icon for a player's starting position from the big white stick man to something else? The default remap for a player (in single player anyway) is 25. This leads on to next point...
  • Any news on the renderer showing true colours of cars (and now characters!) rather than the default remap (the ugly brown for cars)? More for aesthetics than anything else but would be very nice! If I remember, Delfi's STY editor showed the various remaps for peds, gang chars and law enforcement. If you want some details feel free to check out my character list. Just so you know, the game will show a character completely different depending on remap type (either DUMMY_GRAPHIC, EMERG_GRAPHIC or GANG_GRAPHIC) even with the same number! An example would be showing 2 characters with a blue police uniform will look different between GANG_GRAPHIC (which is actually the default for ALL scripted characters unless specified later) and an EMERG_GRAPHIC.
  • Again for aesthetic purposes, would it be possible to show scripted characters patrol routes, marked by an arrow? Perhaps link this to the clicking and dragging/moving bit (click and drag arrow head?) so it will update the script for certain character and co-ordinates? Maybe the arrow when mousing over it will say who the patrol point belongs to and highlight the character in question as well?
That's about it for now, only did a quick test but it's coming along nicely, keep up the good fight 8-)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:The clicking for co-ordinates is quite useful although as I've mentioned before they don't need to be at two decimal places, one decimal place will suffice!
You can change the output in "settings.cfg", search for "coord_pattern". %.1f makes it 1 decimal (as i wrote in the changelog...).
Pyro wrote:When clicking an object for the first time so it shows the outline box around it it automatically copies the details to clipboard, surely it should be click first to highlight and then click again for details? Not essential really but a minor point.
What do you mean with details, the variable name / object type? Or the code line that gets copied to clipboard? IT highlights it by pointing with mouse and clicking (yellow when clicking, white when pointing).
Pyro wrote:Like above, that feature isn't actually that useful if you think about it. I need to code the object/vehicle/whatever first for it to appear, then I click on it only to tell me its co-ordinates and other details which I already know because I coded it 10 seconds ago! ;)
I think its useful when you look others maps, and you want to copy some objects, or if you forgot how to write some object you just click and it copies it for you. Combined with the coordinate copy feature, you can easily click new location for the object you previously copied ;)
Pyro wrote:Not all object types seem to be rendered, example would be a briefcase. Not sure if there are more but I remember you added a few more before.
Hmm, mind giving the script code line to me that doesnt show up? Since i've tested, and briefcase is visible in the editor :?
Pyro wrote:Showing characters is rather cool, I like it!
The editor has showed characters since the first time i made the objects visible ;)
Pyro wrote:perhaps you could maybe update the icon for a player's starting position from the big white stick man to something else?
You can edit the player start position image in the "data/gfx/" folder. But it is 32 bit TGA, which no known program supports (i had to make own program for saving that :? ) But you can make the image in two parts: graphic, and opacity map (grayscale image) And send them separately to me, and i'll look if i will include them in the editor by default 8-) The player start positions are big as hell on purpose so you can find them easily on the map.
Pyro wrote:Any news on the renderer showing true colours of cars (and now characters!) rather than the default remap (the ugly brown for cars)?
Havent focused on this yet, but it will be done some day!
Pyro wrote:Again for aesthetic purposes, would it be possible to show scripted characters patrol routes, marked by an arrow? Perhaps link this to the clicking and dragging/moving bit (click and drag arrow head?) so it will update the script for certain character and co-ordinates? Maybe the arrow when mousing over it will say who the patrol point belongs to and highlight the character in question as well?
Oh, i didnt know GTA2 supported patrolling for chars. It can be possible, but not atm, because i still need to rewrite the script parser for any advanced features (like put_car_on_trailer etc).
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Just a quick comment. Why don't you use Blender? You can even make it into a game if you got everything in Blender. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Just a quick comment. Why don't you use Blender? You can even make it into a game if you got everything in Blender. :)
I dont know how to program in python, Nor how to use blender even 20% :?

And i rather learn how to make games myself, than use something that gives everything done to me 8-) Also i am not restricted to any limits when i dont use blender... (probably has some limits here and there).

Edit: Not to mention that moving ~30k c++ code lines into blender compatible format might be a pain in the ass :roll:
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Almost nobody downloaded the newest version so i decided to make quick fix:
- Fixed crash on invalid style files (again...)

I hope thats all the crashes for now. Although, i hope you find more crashes :twisted:
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I just use it to take screenshots and get a sense of balance for my newer levels. It's great at that!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Oh, i forgot to tell ya i made the commandline version now, lite version with only commandline can be downloaded here:
http://gtamp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=331
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

TradeMark wrote:Oh, i forgot to tell ya i made the commandline version now, lite version with only commandline can be downloaded here:
http://gtamp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=331
That's awesome, especially for this: http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I know ^^ Been lurking the forums :twisted:
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Forgot to fix the commandline version too:
http://gtamp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=334

Changelog:
- fixed "bluewater" command.
- fixed crash on invalid style files.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Woot :shock:

Now it supports 3 resolutions for object placement: 1-2 decimal precision and in the center of each block. Also rotation supports 3 resolutions: 1, 5 and 45 degrees steps, so far looks good, just that im still finding good buttons for the rotation / movement... now it changes precision for movement and rotation when you hold CTRL or SHIFT, so if you move and rotate at same time, you have to use same precision for move and rotate, so you get slightly annoyed for the position changing when you hold CTRL or SHIFT :roll:

The script data is saved directly on the .mis file as it was written: it remembers your object precision from the mis file, and saves each object with the precision you placed them on the map, plus it also remains the line comments! only down side is that it formats the script code line perfectly so you lose all your extra padding there.

I will add copy button, but not sure how it should work, for example if you copy an object that has variable declaration elsewhere, i would have to create new variable for the copied object, at the same place where the original object had the variable declaration. Plus i need to add some number in the variable name... dunno how should i do it, maybe add "_1", "_2" etc in end of copied variable?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

:o :D :D

Great! I love the image you created, perfect use of an object placement tool. I eagerly await the release.

Adding a number to the variable/object name when duplicating it sounds fine.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Haven't posted here for a while, so I thought it would be nice to drop by to say I'm still checking this topic regularly for new releases.
The object selector looks very promising. I think it is a very important new feature, as it encourages modders to carefully position objects when the result is immediately visible. Can't wait to swap objects all over the place with your editor!
I'm also looking forward to see maps in dusk mode in your editor. Any news on this?