Feature request: Making GTA2 speed detached from FPS.

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
GTA2 is the funniest
Ped
Ped
GH nick: GTA2 is the funniest

Feature request: Making GTA2 speed detached from FPS.

Post by GTA2 is the funniest »

Hello everyone. I´m not sure I´m allowed to make feature requests here, but here it goes anyway.

I know the speed at which the game runs is somehow linked with the number of frames per second it draws (linearly apparently).

A long time ago I had this CRT monitor which could do 100Hz at some resolutions and I remember I once disabled the frame rate in the game and enabled Vsync in the drivers control panel, so the game would run at 100fps synced.

It felt incredibly smooth, everything ran so much better, but, obviously too fast. I remember I would drive around just because it was cool to see things flow smoothly, even though I couldn´t play any missions because of how fast it got.

So, I kindly ask the developer of this modified GTA2 exec we see at this forum to introduce this change. I think it would be awesome to see this game run at high fps (and therefore smoother) with normal speed.

Hopefully this can be done without the source code.

Thanks for reading.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Feature request: Making GTA2 speed detached from FPS.

Post by BenMillard »

Might be feasible for single player? In multiplayer, GTA2 links FPS to Internet connection speed to ensure everyone sees exactly the same action for every frame. That's why split-second timing of shooting and dodging is so essential to victory in GTA2.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Re: Feature request: Making GTA2 speed detached from FPS.

Post by Vike the Hube »

I know what you mean, and if I ever did a game engine, I'd make it so that all actions and game states were continuous so it simply wouldn't be an issue. But for gta2 it would probably be an epic amount of work. Interesting idea though. I might make a note of it anyway because I might be poking around in that code sometime.