Vedic Pirates (NEW) with Assault & Temple

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Vedic Pirates (NEW) with Assault & Temple

Post by BenMillard »

Over the weekend I created an Army Base game mode for Vedic Temple. You start on a boat and must achieve a set of objectives to breach their defensive walls. Like the spearhead to an invasion fleet. A couple of weeks later I created a pair of galleons and created a deathmatch arena from them.

Download it from the Vedic Temple for GTA2 page.

Screenshots
These are from TM's viewer.
Image Image Image Image

First one is a wide view, as if you were on the approaching attack boat. Others have a slight "fish-eye" effect to give a sense of peripheral vision, like FPS games sometimes use. I also have some gameplay shots with Elypter, who has helped a lot with testing and a little scripting.
Last edited by BenMillard on 02 Jun 2011, 22:30, edited 4 times in total.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Re: Vedic Assualt (NEW) with Vedic Temple

Post by Gustavob »

Sounds nice, will try it later

BTW there's a typo on the topic title:

:arrow: Vedic Assualt
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Vedic Assault (NEW) with Vedic Temple

Post by BenMillard »

Thanks for the feedback. Changes in the newly uploaded version:
  • Boat now has a covered area, near the helm towards the rear.
  • Added 3 molotov guards to some towers.
  • Only 1 of those guards is in a really good position.
  • Might use an electrogun guard to protect high tower.
  • Added 2 flamer guards who protect a couple of key objectives.
  • Breaking the box on the high tower opens a corridor in North East, near Double Damage.
  • Anchored another boat off the East coast. You can get to it from this corridor.
New Game Mode Idea
After completing the 'spearhead' part, maybe you would support a full invasion?
  • Each boat could spawn 5 more soldiers.
  • Soldiers try to fight their way to the ruined wall and make it through.
  • Soldiers would respawn under the covered part of the boat if killed.
  • Once 25 soldiers have gotten through the wall you complete the level?
  • Maybe award $100,000 per soldier? Then you could choose how many are needed using a Points Game limit.
The gameplay for this would be a bit like Lemmings! :D That's another game DMA Design created.
Last edited by BenMillard on 10 May 2011, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Ben, I'm glad to say I fixed your arrow issue by inverting the logic. I'm not going to attach it because I had edited the previous script version, so I'm just pasting the code:

Code: Select all

IF (stage = 3)
  IF ( NOT ( CHECK_CAR_HAS_DRIVER ( bus1 ) ) )
    POINT_ARROW_AT (arrow0, bus1)
  ENDIF
  IF ( CHECK_CAR_HAS_DRIVER ( bus1 ) )
    POINT_ARROW_AT (arrow0, 113.0, 111.5, 4.0)
    IF ( IS_CARBOMB_ACTIVE ( bus1 ) )
      SET stage = 4
    ENDIF
  ENDIF
ENDIF
I tested it and it points the arrow to the coordinates above when player is on the bus, and it points the arrow back to the bus when you leave it

You might add a "remove arrow and respawn bus when its destroyed" code inside that aswell as its not already implemented
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Awesome, it works! Anyone know why? Might be a bug that players are detected like this at all. :roll:

New version is uploaded. I added a few red soldiers on both boats but they get scared by players. Huh? The example scripts for bil.mis don't seem to do anything special with characters to stop this. Maybe I have to create a Russian gang and add these chars to it so they don't act like total chickens?

Pyro wrote some "helper bots" in Jailbreak but they always attacked other players. If more than one player can see a soldier, maybe I could set it to do nothing? If only one player can see a solider, it would follow that player. Hmm...much to ponder.

Krishna elite guards are positioned and armed pretty nice now. In fact a couple are pure evil, keep catching me out. That's a good thing! A couple are a bit lame, so more tweaks will follow for the spearhead part of the level.

Oh, still haven't transplanted the respawning vehicle code for the bus!
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

BenMillard wrote:I added a few red soldiers on both boats but they get scared by players. Huh? The example scripts for bil.mis don't seem to do anything special with characters to stop this.
Give them a nice occupation (like psycho, stand_still_bloke etc) and/or objective (eg guard_spot) and then set their threat reaction to NO_REACTION or REACT_AS_NORMAL and that might solve it. I have a few characters that used to got scared by player but then I set their occupation to STAND_STILL_BLOKE and threat reaction to NO_REACTION and now they just don't get scared
You just lost the game.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Looks interesting, I'll try and test it when I can and if you are around sometime for it.

Looks like Gustavob answered your question about characters running away. They need a threat search of NO_THREATS as well as a reaction of NO_REACTION if they are just guards who don't shoot. This way you can give them any occupation.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

D'oh! I just forgot to use GOSUB soldiers: after the LEVELSTART. :roll: New version uploaded.

It includes a Stage 6, where the soldiers on your boats will find their way through the breached wall. Need to create some gang zones to make the groups hate each other. Pyro's work for Jailbreak found that characters always shoot players before they shoot other AI characters. So I might need to disarm the soldiers if a non-leading player is on screen.

Anyway, here's what I had for soldier1 and worked:

CHAR_DATA soldier1 = (131.3,124.3,1.0) 10 270 STAND_STILL_BLOKE  
LEVELSTART
 SET_CHAR_THREAT_SEARCH (soldier1, LINE_OF_SIGHT)
 SET_CHAR_THREAT_REACTION (soldier1, NO_REACTION)
 SET_CHAR_OBJECTIVE (soldier1, WAIT_ON_FOOT)
Turns out all I needed was this:

CHAR_DATA soldier1 = (131.3,124.3,1.0) 10 270 STAND_STILL_BLOKE  
LEVELSTART
 SET_CHAR_THREAT_REACTION (soldier1, NO_REACTION)
Just as you'd expect.

The bil.mis scripts use a bunch of commands to do things in advance. This is from bil_ke1.mis:

k_e_1_locksmith = CREATE_CHAR ( 210.0 , 81.5 , 6.0 ) 9 180 stand_still_bloke END
SET_CHAR_THREAT_SEARCH ( k_e_1_locksmith , line_of_sight )
SET_CHAR_THREAT_REACTION ( k_e_1_locksmith , no_reaction )
GIVE_WEAPON ( k_e_1_locksmith , molotov )
ADD_GROUP_TO_CHARACTER ( k_e_1_locksmith , 0 )
Seems weird but they switch this later using MAKE_NEW_LEADER_OF_GANG so the character follows the player. The weapon is given long before the character uses it, too.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Vedic Pirates (NEW) with Assault & Temple

Post by BenMillard »

Ahoy there, mateys! Here be a very early test version of Vedic Pirates. Avast ye gaze upon yonder first message...yargh!

Image Image

(EDIT) Added a couple more screenshots. The level is stable and the gameplay is pretty frantic! There are a couple more ideas I'd like to try out, so it will keep changing for a month or so.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Vedic Pirates (NEW) with Assault & Temple

Post by BenMillard »

The bus now respawns in Vedic Assault. Even though it is everything-proof, entering it while you are on fire would destroy it. Driving it into the water would also destroy it.

Vedic Assault now gives all players $300,000 when you explode the bus in the correct location. It ends automatically a couple of seconds later, like Army Base.