Spit some ideas out

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Dont_have_yet

Spit some ideas out

Post by Shazdeh »

here, I'm going to spit out some ideas for maps, so hopefully someone will create it.

First one is called Death Pit, it's multiplayer where every player is in car and he should destroy other ones, by weapons he got to be the last one standing. This is fun.
Second one is, Death Road. Remember the old game (I think it was on Atari 2600) that a frog was trying to cross the street and if it hit a car, you lose. We can make a map of it. The player should cross the street but instead of cars (which in GTA AI, they stop if you walk on the street) we use Trains. The goal is to be on the other side of the road. It can be a multiplayer though, who will do it first, and punch other players so they faint in the middle of the road and lose the game.
Third one is not a map, but a script. Let's call this Death Car: the player is in a car that is locked and he should keep the car in the specific minimum speed or else the car will be destroyed. Hey, driving fast in a crazy city is not that easy.

Let's see whos man enogh to make these!
Everybody else is welcome to share any idea.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Spit some ideas out

Post by Sektor »

Death Pit sounds a bit like Pyro's Deathstruction Derby. That map has some normal weapons too. I'm not sure how fun a map with just car weapons would be but maybe it's worth a try.

I have actually thought about making a Frogger/Freeway map before. It would be funny if it used the classic graphics too. It would just be a novelty since you couldn't really make it as fun as the originals.

You can't lock a player in a car but you could kill them if they exit or just make them remote control a car.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yup, Death Pit does sound very similar to my Deathstruction Derby map I did many years ago, Sektor linked it so have a look at it if you like :)

As Sektor said, you can't lock a person once they are inside a car (only lock from people trying to get IN the car) and using a remote control sounds like a good idea (check my tutorial of it here), but there is also a command that once you are inside a vehicle the accelerator pedal gets "stuck" on, so possibly be able to combine both remote control and constant acceleration?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Perhaps SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS may work on this case
You just lost the game.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

Now who will do these maps? ;)
I have two more ideas.
First, is to create a puzzle-like map. the player has to go through the city to get to the exit way. This is easy to create.
And the second, let's talk about it later!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

You can generate mazes on many websites, save as bmp and then convert it to a GTA2 map using cmp2gmp.

SET_ALL_CONTROLS_STATUS causes sync problems in multiplayer, I assume SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS does too but I haven't tested it.

How many trains can you have and how fast can you make them loop a small frogger/freeway type map?
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

According to WikiGTA GTA2 trains tutorial, you cant have more than 12 stations, therefore you cant make more than 12 trains in 3 tracks. And Heri said he've tried SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS already and it desyncs multiplayer, but that map can be made for singleplayer only, then.
You just lost the game.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

Cool :D I made test map :>
maze.rar
(26.11 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
cool.PNG
Attachments
maze.PNG
maze.PNG (4.05 KiB) Viewed 13175 times
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

How on Earth I have missed that tool?
Really cool! I have created one too!

Gustavob, don't need all that trains. If we make a square map that trains could turn around it and they just keep their highest speed, :ugeek:
Attachments
maze.zip
(55.16 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Shazdeh wrote:Gustavob, don't need all that trains. If we make a square map that trains could turn around it and they just keep their highest speed, :ugeek:
Yup, I know all such trains wont be needed, but I was just answering Sektor's question about how many trains can be there. Perhaps 4 trains in 2 tracks may be enough on a frogger-like map.

Also, I solved both mazes above. Ill sent Razor and Shazdeh the link for the images with the solved maze minimap, please check if its right!
You just lost the game.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

From what I remember, GTA2 trains have a very tight turning circle. So long as the track has 1 empty cube around it it can effectively turn inside a 3x3 grid (an 'L' shaped turn that is covered with scenery), so I'm guessing a 6x3 grid to make a 'U' turn would suffice. It's been far too long since I've done this stuff, but read my guide on it here over at Cerbera's website for more information (especially under the 'Landscape Setup' section).

As for multiple trains on one track, you'll need at least 2 stations otherwise none of them will move. Don't forget that if you blow one up the other train will either become "stuck" at the other station or if it is moving, ram in to the back of the wrecked train, also destroying it in the process! I also remember there is a maximum length for the train and carriages, and I think it was up to 9 (check above link under 'Code Setup'). So, hopefully 2 trains at maximum length might help you in what you want to achieve :)

And one final thing - after much experimenting before I never managed to get a way of detecting if the player was on the train (I think), and making gang-members in your group jump aboard (they enter any normal vehicle except trains for some reason).

I should really fill in the gaps for my GTA2 Scripting Tutorials as I still have bits I never added to it :D