10 seconds was only possible in 1vs2 games if both defenders made bad mistakes and the attacker got lucky with holding the position after they respawned. It was quite nice in 2v2 so I hope the balance is now too hard for defenders when there are more players.
I can tune the balance for different numbers of players and keep it as a single .scr. Just do a health check on each player to increment the same counter and I have the number of players. Maybe this will be ideal:
- 5 seconds. (Same as car bombs and no defender to wait for.)
- 10 seconds. (Single defender gets a chance to respawn and defuse the bomb.)
- 5 seconds. (Attacker must kill both defenders; shouldn't have to kill them both again!)
- 10 seconds? (2 attackers can defend against 2 defenders twice?)
- 5 seconds? (3 defenders in a tiny area.)
- 5 seconds? (Even with 3 attackers, denying the area from 3 defenders with at least some respawning would be impossible?)
ZOMG these are so damn annoying. Even when you are using separate counter and timer objects, the game mixes them up. A ticking countdown integrated with the stage indicator removes the stage indicator when the time completes. Re-creating the stage timer adds it to the upward timer. Huh?
Creating the upward timer before the stage indicator should solve that, as it seems the commands just add onto the bottom pager thingy. But no. Instead this becomes an integrated ticking timer, even though the upward timer has a different object name and even a different object type!
So after quite a lot of swearing I gave up and used DISPLAY_BRIEF_NOW to show a countdown.
A ticking sound at the bomb location should be possible... or do I recall problems with removing PLAY_FOREVER sounds?