I decided to release now, because i have failed to get the motivation to finish the script editor, thus it will probably just take forever; you'll get what i've done so far.
0.6.0 Beta (14.02.2011)
Editor, general new features:
- Added Script editor! Currently supports the following script objects:
MAP_ZONE, SET_GANG_INFO, SET_STATION_INFO, SET_AMBIENT_LEVEL,
LOWER_LEVEL, CHANGE_BLOCK (LID, SIDE, TYPE),
CHAR_DATA, CREATE_CHAR, ADD_PATROL_POINT, PLAYER_PED,
CONVEYOR, CRANE_DATA, CRUSHER, DESTRUCTOR, CREATE_DESTRUCTOR,
DOOR_DATA, DECLARE_DOOR_INFO, LIGHT, CREATE_LIGHT, RADIO_STATION, SOUND,
EXPLODE, EXPLODE_SMALL, EXPLODE_NO_RING, EXPLODE_LARGE, EXPLODE_WALL,
GENERATOR, SWITCH_GENERATOR, OBJ_DATA, CREATE_OBJ, DECLARE_CRANE_POWERUP,
PARKED_CAR_DATA, CAR_DATA, CREATE_CAR, CREATE_GANG_CAR, MINI_CAR, PUT_CAR_ON_TRAILER, SET_DIR_OF_TV_VANS, SET_CAR_NUMBER_GRAPHIC, (and car trailers),
DO_PHONE_TEMPLATE, DO_EASY_PHONE_TEMPLATE, LAUNCH_MISSION.
Huh! Read the "Readme Script Editor.txt" for more info.
- Added remap support for cars! Epicly epic!
- Added possibility to quickly change the .mis file if you are using DO_PHONE_TEMPLATE, DO_EASY_PHONE_TEMPLATE, LAUNCH_MISSION functions to launch a mission in your script. Note that if the .mmp file has script "test.scr", and your "test.mis" has "LAUNCH_MISSION(mission1.mis)" it will search for "gta2/data/test/mission1.mis", and if that file doesnt exist, it wont get listed in that list. Go to "Scripts" menu (under minimap, when script editor is enabled) to see the list of script files in your base script.
- Added script preview feature: displays a range of lines from the script file, starting at that line which object you have selected. Also its possible to click a line to go to that position in the map where that object is placed at. Mousewheel can be used to scroll the script lines up/down. Use "§½" (OEM_5) button to enable/disable (varies on keyboards, mostly at left side of number 1 button, or/and above TAB). Or go to menu: "Display -> Script preview". Preview style can be adjusted at: "Options -> Editor settings -> Script preview style", in case you get slow FPS from the transparent layer drawn under the text: use solid mode, or disable the background layer. The height can be adjusted in the same menu.
- Added syntax highlighting for the script preview! Syntax colors and keywords can be edited at "data/mis.stx", there is also extra param "bold" to use, for example: "#defaultcolor=FFFFFF,bold". It is possible to add infinite amount of colors for different keywords, but there are few predefined names which cannot be changed: "DefaultColor", "Variables", "Floats", "Integers", "Comments", etc.
- Added map light editor (numpad6) and light renderer (you can see the map in night mode, options -> rendering settings -> lighting). Note: light editor not yet working
(coming in next release!).
- Added GMP file optimizer: removes chunks "UMAP", "CMAP", "MOBJ", "PSXM". Also, it leaves UMAP alone if DMAP not found. (otherwise there wouldnt be a map left anymore
). Tools -> GMP Optimizer.
- Added map compression functionality. Compresses the map tighter than DMA editor! (and after 7zipping its even more tighter than DMA version!) Also its 500 times faster than DMA editor too! (on bil.gmp).
- Added support for "MapArea" and "PlayArea" .MMP file tags: MapArea defines the visible region for your map, only this area will be rendered/editable/saveable in the editor! PlayArea defines the "big map image" screenshot area. Both PlayArea and MapArea have the following syntax: "MapArea = x1 y1 x2 y2" Note: Only 1 space between those coordinates or it wont be read correctly.
- Also added functionality to repeat the map area edges by using MapArea to tell where the repeatable edges are, this will fill the whole map edges repeated like in GTA2 into the full 256x256 map. This is useful if you are too lazy to clean the crap off from the outside of your map. Also now when the map saving works in compressed format, you can save these repeated map edges directly on your map. NOTE: the saving is only beta, theres no guarantee it will not have errors, but i've tested it in many maps and so far no errors. Still, you should always take backup from your original maps before saving over the original with this editor!
- Added possibility to use the editor with really low GFX card memory, create file "lowmem.txt" at editor folder, this will fix texture problems on some users. Also added back the "nomipmap.txt" to disable mipmapping if you still have problems with textures or want to see higher quality textures if you have gfx card memory/texture issues.
- Added some graphical settings automatically saved in settings.cfg, once you change them, it will remember them next time you start the editor (not all settings).
- Added recent actions list with keycode info. Can be disabled at menu: options -> editor settings -> recent actions.
- You can now set Windows to open .GMP and .STY filetypes by using this editor; it will give file open pop-up window to choose STY file if you doubleclicked GMP, and vice versa. It will allow you to add more files if needed (for example .mis file).
- V-sync disabled by default, this because the v-sync caused many users to experience huge performance drop and cpu usage got insane high. Now the cpu usage is 0-2% (can pop higher if rendering is getting slower). Also fixed the FPS limiter to be more precise, now it supports 60fps exactly (if you want to avoid tearing, use v-sync (SHIFT+V)). Also the default FPS rate is automatically retrieved from the user display settings now.
- Space button now displays map collision edges.
- Changed render mode shortkey (numpad0) behaviour to only switch between two render modes: 3d and 2d, the default 2d render mode can be changed to 2d minimap mode from "options -> rendering settings -> render mode -> default 2d render mode -> minimap (for slow computers)". Default 2d render mode is tiled mode. Also added this in settings.cfg, with setting name "default_2d_render_mode" that takes values MINIMAP or TILES, or any number between 0 and 2. (0 = 3d, 1 = 2d tiles, 2 = 2d minimap).
- New shortkey: CTRL+F renders flats on/off.
- The camera will now move a bit slower when its closer to the ground. (when using ASDW keys).
- Added new font rendering (for the smaller font only, it was using really awful rendering method).
- Improved rendering speed a bit, (mostly in free camera mode when looking at the horizon).
- Default texture sharpness is zero now, caused some rendering slow down on bad cards. You can still change the sharpness from menu.
- Again, Edited "settings.cfg", you may get errors if you use the old settings file!
- Added menu option to change lighting mode in GTA2 when you play it. (Options -> GTA2 -> Lighting). No need to twiddle with GTA2manager that much anymore...
- Added SCR filename visible at the statusbar area. Note that if MIS file is found, the SCR filename wont be displayed since only thing that would differ is the extension.
- Renamed "generate padded tiles" into "reduce texture bleeding". And some other menu option name fixes and rearrangement.
- Screenshots uses map name in the filename now. (still adds random string there).
- Changed default JPG quality to '80' for screenshots/other saved images by the user. (settings.cfg: jpg_image_quality = 80).
- Disabled "output_maplist.txt" by default, as it is almost useless. It can be enabled from settings.cfg: 'save_output_maplist'.
- The editor console ('Enter' to enable) can now be shut off by 'Esc' button, and 'Delete' button clears the command that was written there.
- Notices about reloading map will now give option to click map reload directly on the messagebox.
- Added exclamation icons in some of the messageboxes.
- Added confirmation for map change/exit if you have edited MIS/Zone etc. data.
- Default loading format is compressed map now. Before it loaded uncompressed always if it was found.
- Added file "bitdepth.txt" to set color depth value manually, might increase FPS on some machines. Put only the bit depth number (16, 24 or 32) in the file contents. If file doesnt exist, using default bit depth (32).
- Removed "lod_bias" setting from "settings.cfg", made it use wrong lod bias if anisotropic filter was on. (the lod_bias setting can still be used though).
- Added new "possible crashes" possibility and new question/answer in the FAQ in the readme.txt file.
- Removed triangle counter as it was buggy and useless and wasted RAM.
- Pressing Enter at the recent maps screen will launch the editor to the most recent map if no map was loaded yet. Also prevented re-loading the currently open map if clicked from recent maps list, (will now switch the maplist off when clicked currently open map).
- Cleaned up a lot of code again (= possible new bugs can come and eat your brains!).
- Improved map loading speed.
- Rewrote compressed/uncompressed map readers.
- Added cancel button when it asks "add more files?" (at "Open..." menu), cancel button will prevent the map from loading.
- Camera starting position will be placed at the first declared player position in the .mis file if it exists. Otherwise using the calculated middle position of the map.
- Added warning on first run, so the users knows to blame themselves if something goes wrong.
- Added warning on the first script saving, same reason as above.
- Changing only a single file (sty, gmp, mis) will not make editor load everything again anymore! Note: if you change sty file, some transparent tiles might mess up and become solid, you can fix this by reloading gmp file.
- Added possibility to reload STY and GMP files separately, "file -> reload".
- Added invulnerability to the list of cheats used when toggled cheats on via this editor for map testing. Also added debug options (aka "powerpatch") in the gta2manager.exe, every time gta2 is launched for map testing via this editor.
- Changed map render button (z) to work with ctrl+z now, and infinite water uses shift+z now.
- Changed zone editor zone copy buttons from SHIFT+D to CTRL+C/CTRL+V. Also changed v-sync button from 'V' to SHIFT+V.
- Removed rotate button (R) from zone editor, as it was quite useless and confusing with script editor buttons. Also disabled camera rotation keys (Q/E) from zone editor.
- You cant resize train zones anymore, except the train station platform zone. (you can resize only if the zone size was set larger than 1x1 beforehand, but if you resize it to 1x1 the resize stops working). This because any other than 1x1 shouldnt be used in GTA2.
- Added currently selected zone visible on the minimap (all zones with that name).
- Changed coordinate picker coordinate precision to 1 decimal by default.
- Renamed "coordinate picker" into "Script editor". (display -> script editor).
- Improved script editor render speed.
- Modified .mis file reading to cover whole script; you can now see all objects inside the while loops too.
- Every object after WHILE or WHILE_EXEC loop are now displayed only 50% transparent without shadows. You can change this setting from "options -> script objects -> while loop transparency" Or settings.cfg: "while_loop_obj_opacity" any value between 0.0 and 1.0
- Generators which havent been turned on before the WHILE or WHILE_EXEC loop, will be displayed 60% transparent with shadow. Note that this check isnt perfect yet: if you have switch_generator inside a function or etc, before WHILE or WHILE_EXEC loop, then it will still read that command.
- Added default ammo values visible for weapon/carshop objects if no ammo was set.
- Added gang phones: YELLOW, GREEN and RED visible + with correct remaps! Also added skid marks with correct remaps.
- Added automatic reload confirmation message if you edited the script file by external application.
- Added possibility to toggle invisible objects visible in the map. (default on). Also i made the CAR_SHOP objects have visible collision box (transparent square under the carshop sprites).
- Button numpad7 will now toggle invisible objects on/off.
- Cars selection rectangle now uses their real hitboxes from GTA2, useful to avoid crashes (you cannot make cars overlap each other or the GTA2 might crash!).
- Removed wireframe cube from Script editor. Press "G" to see map grids if thats essential.
- Sound objects uses two colors in rendering now: red coloring if the "Mode" is PLAY_INSTANT and normal coloring if the mode is PLAY_FOREVER
- All letter collectibles have shadows now.
- Added white dot in middle of a selected object.
- Added option to display startpositions as ped animations. "Options -> Script objects -> Display players as peds" or settings.cfg: "player_icons_as_peds"
- 2d script placement finished and working! When switching to 2d mode (by 'numpad 0'), every object you move will be dropped down from the sky to the first block it collides in the 3d space. Also added button to set selected object(s) drop down as if they used 2d coordinates ('B' button).
- Space button now displays cranes picking range as a cylinder from lowest ground level to the crane level.
- Player startpositions icons now have the correct color according to the remap they have.
- Carshops have the color under it according to the remap value used.
- Replaced Spray car shop icon with icon designed by Shrooblord.
- Fixed some slopes (49-52) collision with script objects when using 2d coordinates.
- Added support for SET_DIR_OF_TV_VANS: you can now see in editor where the TV vans will point their antenna in GTA2. (the only difference is that in GTA2 you have to start the car engine before the antenna turns).
- Added gang decals visible (SET_GANG_INFO command defines which cars will be gang cars).
- Added number to show how many objects are under mouse cursor. Visible at bottom of the object info if theres more than 1 objects under mouse.
- Added yet another changelog entry that nobody will read.
- Added support for GRENADE object, and fixed BRIEFCASE object from having shadow in some cases.
- Right click+drag now has multiselection functionality in the script editor. Yes, it makes inverted colors on the selection, not a bug!
- Added trains visible! Appears at the railway station stop zone.
- Removed support for INVISIBLE_DEAD since GTA2 doesnt have support for it either!
- Added visible animations to some objects that actually animate in GTA2, just to make the difference clear. Note that ANIMATING_OIL and ANIMATING_RUBBISH should be used only when you WANT to see an animation, not when you simply just want to have oil on the ground! Otherwise it will look confusing in the editor.
- Fixed pop-up messagebox from losing focus if misclicked out of the box: now it stays focus on the messagebox always, also now it doesnt create new window at taskbar for the messagebox anymore.
- Fixed default water detection if only the palet or palet index was changed.
- Fixed randomized/colored water tiles: Now works the same way as blue water setting. Also now it will randomize every possible water tiles properly. (before it used hardcoded water tile ID's).
- Fixed possible crash on maps that missed .sty file but which had .mis file loaded.
- Fixed incorrect parsing on .mis files; now it should parse every object no matter how it was formatted. Also fixed possible crash on those .mis files which had objects outside the map edges.
- Fixed inability to open style files in other programs if they were loaded in this map editor.
- Fixed possible crash on file open/save dialogs. Also killed some bugs on map file load. Now this editor should be a lot more stabler and faster on loading since all memory errors should be fixed now.
- Fixed script object shadows blending incorrectly on the nearby objects in some cases.
- Fixed Sound objects from being forced to drop down to ground level, since i noticed theres a possibility for "3d sounds".
- Fixed MMP file loading from other folders than GTA2/data folder.
- Fixed awful 2 years old bug... (took a lot of time to fix).
- Fixed the old texture problem with mipmapping, no need to disable mipmapping to use editor for some users.
- Fixed cars/chars from being under ground if placed inside a slope.
- Fixed small minimap being at incorrect position; clicking it moved camera at slightly wrong coordinates.
- Fixed maplist showing some map names incorrectly.
- Fixed almost all slope types sides rendered differently than in GTA2, thanks to Gustavob for finding this out! Unfortunately GTA2 doesnt support rotation for the sides of most slopes that arent squares. Flip still works. So i had to disable rotation support for almost all slope types sides. Sucks!
- Fixed slope types 9-40 to disable rendering one side of 4 sides (not visible in GTA2!). The opposite side from the hidden side renders in GTA2 but its a bit bugged, so i left it visible in my editor too (renders better in my editor...).
- Fixed again some other slope types rendering incorrectly in my editor (again, GTA2 fails rendering, need to make it like GTA2).
- Fixed bug that caused "Open..." to use the first map files if they werent chosen from the "Open..." menu.
- Fixed script editor mouse pointer (the yellow X) from appearing very big on screen on some cases.
- Fixed possible minimap hash error, now it takes hash only from the GMP and STY file paths!
- Fixed TOWER and TUNNEL_BLOCKER objects from moving above ground if they were placed inside the sloped block.
- Fixed object selection on empty map area to be possible!