vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by elypter »

i'd add it to my guide if i found a backup of the database file of the freehoster who deleted the account that had the forum
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Hippox77
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Hippox77 »

Hallo, I have an issue and a request.

The request, please consider to include a fully compatible DirectDraw wrapper (ddraw.dll) into the next build to fix the extremely low performance on W8+W10 (because of Microsoft's broken DDraw emulation since W8). Currently, the latest build is not truly W8+10 compatible because of this. However, I've found such a dll at the link below, so take a look:

https://github.com/ThirteenAG/Widescree ... s/tag/gta2

This dll fixes the extremely low performance in W8+W10, but it sadly isn't compatible with 'manager.exe', so multiplayer is not possible! The source code is up for download, so it should be fixable, if somebody here has the skills to adapt it to Vike's build.

My issue is this (using Windows 7): When I switch game speed in manager.exe to set up a selfhosted multiplayer over LAN then the framerate will always be the same. So, low = 25 FPS, medium = 25 FPS, fast = 25 FPS. Game simply ignores the speed setting. How can I fix this? I just want 30 FPS over LAN.

Edit: I just tried on another Windows 7 PC of mine and the frame rate in selfhosted multiplayer over LAN is always '30', no matter the game speed setting. Both PC's runs single-player at 30 FPS if the framerate limiter on.

Edit2:

Found out something interesting, if I have my browser open and there's flash content on it (likely the case, at least) then GTA 2 will run at 30 FPS in MP. If I close my browser then the game will run at 25 FPS. What gives?
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

On Windows 10 64-bit, I get 21 FPS in a solo multiplayer game with nothing else open and 30 FPS when any canvas/webgl site is open in chrome.

Same problem in singleplayer but at least I can disable frame rate limiter and then use bandicam to limit the frame rate to anything that I like.

Others have this 21 FPS problem in Windows 10 -->FPS problem.

I'll keep testing and asking vike to fix it.

The widescreen fix also gives 30 FPS for me in singleplayer but no effect in mp.
Hippox77
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Hippox77 »

It would nice if Vike had time to took a look at it.

Anyhow, I've found a temporally method that'll give you 30 FPS in MP using W8.1 (probably also true for W10). If you want the original 25 FPS in W8.1 then you'll have to limit the FPS, unlike in W7.

Here's how:

1: Download the 'Grand Theft Auto 2 Widescreen Fix' from the link I posted above.
2: Copy only 'ddraw.dll' and 'wndmode.ini' to your root directory of GTA II. 'GTA2_widescreen_fix.asi' is incompatible with 'manager.exe'. Set widescreen if wanted through the reg instead.
3: Use a browser to 'trick' the game into running 30 FPS. I use Firefox. (btw, anybody knows a link that'll provide a consistent result?) Edit: Go to YouTube and start a video. You can just pause it - or even close the video as Flash seems to keep on running (however it might time out at some point). You just have to make sure 'Adobe Flash Player' is running in the taskmanager then you know the 'trick' is working ;)

Troubleshooting:

Import this reg if the above doesn't work:

http://gtamp.com/GTA2/gta2framerate.reg

Note: I've only done limited testing so far, but it seems to work. :-) The browser 'trick' is super annoying to have to use, though.

Edit: So it seems that this mentioned ddraw.dll actually fixes the performance by making GTA II run in borderless fullscreen window mode. This however means that you only have two options of resolutions if don't want a small window. One, use your native resolution, fx. 1920x1080. The game will be vert- (chopped). Option two, run the game at your native 4:3 resolution. Fx. for 1920x1080 that's 1440x1080. Then use the 'black3' program to make it look fullscreen. Confusing? Well, sorry about that. :ugeek:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Window ... 534076028/
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Hippox can you please try this:

0. Temporarily undo your ddraw.dll fix
1. Install Zeckensack's Glide wrapper
2. regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> DMA Design -> Screen:
set "rendername" (a String/REG_SZ) to "3dfx.dll"
set "videoname" (a String/REG_SZ) to "dmaglide.dll"
3. Launch GTA2 directly, i.e. no manager because it overwrites those registry keys

I'm interested to see if that fixes either of your issues.

(that makes it use OpenGL instead of DirectX)
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Also what is your video card and what version of your graphics drivers are you using?
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Also anyone else using Windows 8-10 experiencing this or anyone else it works fine for?
Hippox77
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Hippox77 »

Vike the Hube wrote:Hippox can you please try this:

0. Temporarily undo your ddraw.dll fix
1. Install Zeckensack's Glide wrapper
2. regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> DMA Design -> Screen:
set "rendername" (a String/REG_SZ) to "3dfx.dll"
set "videoname" (a String/REG_SZ) to "dmaglide.dll"
3. Launch GTA2 directly, i.e. no manager because it overwrites those registry keys

I'm interested to see if that fixes either of your issues.

(that makes it use OpenGL instead of DirectX)
Hi, I was a bit busy today, but I have tired it out now, and I'm getting 30 FPS in W8.1 by using the 3DFX wrapper. So, it does fix the performance issue in SP, at least. However, it seems you cannot set a custom resolution with Zeckensack's Glide wrapper? I know you can do it with nGlide, though, but I haven't tested it with GTA II yet. But too bad it isn't compatible with manager.exe (yet at least).
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Some good tips on here for compatibility problems: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_2
Helegad
Ped
Ped
GH nick: Helegad

Re: vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Post by Helegad »

Loving the patch so far, it's great that I can finally use ThirteenAG's widescreen fix. However, kill frenzies are not immediately resetting after failure. Is this a known problem/change?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It's not a bug, that's just how Rockstar designed it. I also think it would be better if you could retry kill frenzies, just like you can retry missions but it would have to be optional since it changes the original design.

That widescreen fix still has some problems. It cuts off the heads that are normally to the left of the subtitles, it makes gta2manager crash on launch, it cuts off multiplayer chat and it puts the multiplayer names in the wrong position.
Helegad
Ped
Ped
GH nick: Helegad

Post by Helegad »

Huh, this is the first time I've ever heard of non-retryable kill frenzies in GTA 2. Every version I've played has respawned the coin as soon as you've failed the frenzy.

Or maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I know for a fact that the coin respawned as soon as the frenzy failed before I installed this patch. (Rockstar Classics version)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

You are remembering wrong or you loaded a save game from before you started the kill frenzy.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I experienced an extreme bug that totally corrupted my GTA2.exe file, luckily I have 20. But I accidentally hit a few debug buttons on the numbad which caused me(the camera) to shoot extremely high in the air, creating a hall of mirrors/recursion effect, before everything went all black except text. I could still teleport around the map but I couldn't see anything other than my money count & weapons. When I moved the arrow keys a very tiny red blip could be seen in the center of the screen, which would disappear when I let off the directional keys. Upon force quitting GTA2 (that or it may have crashed as I exited) when I went back to play the game again, I could only open up the initial load screen, pushing enter to open the player profile selection freezes the game. I don't know what caused this but I figured I should report the bug.
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop »

Yea, I had that bug before. My fix was, before it crashes or freezes, hold the camera zoom-in button on the debug keys quickly to reset the camera.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

It's a common bug but I've never seen it actually corrupt gta2.exe on disk. Did you actually have to copy gta2.exe from one of your backups for it to work again? If so, could you try and reproduce it, and make a copy of the corrupted gta2.exe? I'm interested to see if it actually modifies the file on disk, or instead, maybe replacing the file forces Windows to reload the ram copy (or something [invis] )
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I really doubt gta2.exe was changed. I have seen saved games crash on load but most of those crashes were fixed already (like trailer kill frenzy crash). Some debug options will cause a crash when you try to start a level, so go into debug tab and untick everything.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I haven't gotten around to confirming if it is in fact the .exe that's corrupted. I wanted to ask however, if you're still working on this, if in the next release you could make DESTRUCTORS & CONVEYORS deletable with DELETE_ITEM, or make it so they can be turned on or off. There's a lot you can do with those two things, but being unable to control them makes some of the more particular things I'm trying to do in my scripts more difficult.

EDIT: Two other game breaking bugs to report;
1: If you run off of a platform backwards & hit a wall, you can pass through the wall & become trapped in the block, necessitating a restart. This could very well break the level design of some of the MP maps I'm working on, but I figure I'll work around it by putting hidden electrified tiles inside blocks near platforms.
2: If you get killed by a Secret Agent, then teleport so that you respawn in proximity to him, & pull him from his car (or his car was already destroyed)- A) I don't think you get a wanted level for pulling him from his car, & B) if you commit a crime in front of a Secret Agent walking around on foot & you have no wanted level, the agent seeing you crashes the game. I have not tested this with military guys.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Interesting glitch;
Pull a special agent out of his car when the doors are locked/ he's not responding to you(you can pull cops from locked cars if you keep trying).
His lackey will get out the passenger side. Run over the driver before he stands up, maybe keep the car on his body.
His lackey should spawn back inside the car as the driver. When this happened to me the second time I used the teleport debug keys because he was trying to drive off a field but the brakes were locked. Once we were on the main road he wasn't driving, & I couldn't move the vehicle.
I teleported the car with us inside it in front of a Special Agent road block. They did not attack me until I actually got out of the car. Once they killed me I teleported my respawn body atop my corpse so that I could still be around the agents.
I get back into the car with the bugged second hand man who was forced to be driver. I do not pull him out though. The game crashes. I'm not sure if this works with normal police. Interesting bug, I'm gonna try to duplicate it.

EDIT:
Wasn't able to replicate it yet, but this time I didn't even get a wanted level & now the second hand man is speed walking in reverse wildly (moving at a pace inbetween walking/running speed)
Attachments
speedwalk.png
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The wall glitch is known and even used as a feature in water slow race. The other ones I didn't know about but wouldnt happen without teleport.