Splitscreen/local multiplayer

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 that isn't covered by the other forums
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Splitscreen/local multiplayer

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:v11.39 is out.

- GTA2 can be run multiple times. You can host and join your own network games on a single PC without using any virtual machines. It's great for testing. If someone can figure out how to control GTA2 when the window isn't active then you could play a split screen game (both GTA2 instances would need to be running in window mode).
I found this topic about Borderlands: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2455302

It's almost the same problem, they use DXwnd and Auto Window Manager. I tried it myself, but I can't get it to work for GTA2. Maybe Vike can find the secret recipe and put it in the gta2 executable. I think the program Dxwnd has open code.

--edit--
In case the topic goes down, this is the text:
This is a simple guide for getting split-screen to work for the PC version of Borderlands. This was originally supposed to be posted elsewhere but the guide was rejected. Nevertheless, I figured a lot of people would probably want to be able to do splitscreen on the PC version of Borderlands, so the instructions for doing so are below. Enjoy.

---

System and software requirements for splitscreen

So you want to do splitscreen in Borderlands for PC? Well, you're going to need a few tools and a decent PC. About as low as you can go is maybe an Intel Core 2, 2ghz CPU, 2GB of RAM and maybe an Nvidia 8800GTX or an ATI x1600. You'll need a full copy of Borderlands installed (with or without the DLC, it's your choice) and you'll also need at least one dual-analog gamepad, however this guide will be focused on using two Xbox 360 controllers (if you don't have an Xbox 360 controller you'll have to follow Gr9AgWguide from the Zetaboards if you want to use a controller plus keyboard combination) Alternatively, if you're using Logitech or PlayStation controllers you'll need the Xbox 360 controller emulator. You'll also need the following programs:

DXwnd
Auto Window Manager
Xbox360ce (if you're using controllers that aren't Xbox 360 controllers)
A modified WillowInput configuration

What is DXwnd and Auto Window Manager?

The program dxwnd is an easy to use task program, you'll simply want to add Borderlands into the program list by locating the game's exe file. If you don't know where it is or how to find it, simply use your computer's search function and find Borderlands.exe. Copy and paste the location into dxwnd and leave the program open, you'll need it for later.

Auto Window Manager is like the blood vessels that tie this whole thing together. This program is essential for getting the game to work in tandem for splitscreen support. Simply install the program and open it up (links for dxwnd and Auto Window Manager can be found in the supporting links section below).

Making Borderlands support splitscreen

All right, first up can either download a modified version of the WillowInput from MegaUpload or copy the text below. Next up, unzip the contents and copy the information from WillowInput.ini located in the '1' directory in the rar file. Alternatively you can just copy and paste the text below into your WillowInput.ini. It should look like the following:

[WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]
AdvancedButtonTapInterval=0.350000
AdvancedButtonRetapDelay=0.500000
bAlwaysPlayForceFeedback=false
RunWalkTransitionThreshold=0.750000
MoveForwardSpeed=1200.000000
MoveStrafeSpeed=1200.000000
LookRightScale=300.000000
LookUpScale=-250.000000
Bindings=(Name="Fire",Command="Button bFire | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Left Trigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False ,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="AltFire",Command="StartAltFire | OnRelease StopAltFire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,L eftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=Fa lse,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Lef tTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=Fals e,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigg er=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgn oreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-200.0 AbsoluteAxis=100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=Fa lse,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCt rl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+200.0 AbsoluteAxis=100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=Fa lse,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCt rl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigg er=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgn oreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Le ftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=Fal se,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

----

Next, you'll need to copy and paste the above code into the WillowInput configuration file located in your Borderlands document directory. The file you're looking for is located here:

C:\Users\(User Name)\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config

Find the line with the contents: WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput

Then paste the above code into/over that section. Save the file and then you're done with that part. You shouldn't have to mess with this section again.

Playing 2 - 4 player splitscreen

Next up, open up DXwnd and click on 'Execute' for the Borderlands. Make sure you also have Auto Window Manager open and the appropriate amount of Xbox 360 controllers plugged into your computer.

Now, the first Borderlands you opened will be attached to the Xbox 360 controller that's lit up as player 1. Get to the options menu and go to the LAN option and begin to host a game. Once you get to the LAN hosting lobby wait there.

Next, use DXwnd to open yet another Borderlands...this will be player 2. Use Auto Window Manager to designate the alignment of the screen and make sure that the graphics settings are turned all the way down in both windows.

Player 2 should be controlled by the Xbox 360 controller that's lit up as player 2. Use player 2 to join a LAN game...the game you just created with player 1 should show up in the menu, whether you're online or offline.

If you plan to play four-player splitscreen you'll need two additional Xbox 360 controllers. Repeat the step of using DXwnd to open Borderlands and then use Auto Window Manager to align the windows where you want them, and then simply have player 3 and player 4 join player 1's LAN game. It's pretty easy.

Controllers not responding? Game windows not working?

The first time you try this it may not work. In fact, the first couple of times I tried it this method did not work. However, a lot of it boils down to timing and settings.

If each of the controllers were attached to the appropriate screens when you had all four Borderlands windows open then it means they're attached to the appropriate windows and there won't be interference. That's a good thing.

If the windows aren't responding appropriately, simply exit all the Borderlands respectively and then re-launch each one in sequence using DXwnd. Click on Auto Window Manager while all the Borderlands windows are open and then right click on any of the Borderlands in the Auto Window Manager list and then hover the mouse over the "Stay On Top" option within the window. You'll have to wait about five seconds with the mouse hovering over this option to enable all Borderlands windows to become active and the controls to respond correctly.
This will make each Borderlands window "vie" for DirectInput recognition and should enable each of the controllers to work in correspondence to their respective windows. In other words, if you have four Xbox 360 controllers, each one will work with a separate Borderlands window that you have open, thus enabling four-player split-screen.

If you have a multi-monitor setup simply move the appropriate screen over to the designated monitor area by dragging it with the mouse and you can use the in-game menu to resize the game viewing area, or by manually resizing the screen with the mouse.

If Gearbox doesn't mess around too much with the controller input or system requirements, this method should also work for Borderlands 2.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by elypter »

You can probably do the same by changing the controls before each launch.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Splitscreen/local multiplayer

Post by Sektor »

I tried using DXWnd to get inactive GTA2 windows to accept controls but it didn't work for me, it might be incompatible or I did it wrong. I think you'd have to write a trainer/memory hack to get this working or use a virtual machine.

Some weird type of local multiplayer will be possible in the next GTA2 version but it will require a custom SCR.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:I tried using DXWnd to get inactive GTA2 windows to accept controls but it didn't work for me, it might be incompatible or I did it wrong. I think you'd have to write a trainer/memory hack to get this working or use a virtual machine.

Some weird type of local multiplayer will be possible in the next GTA2 version
Please elaborate.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Thanks to peek/poke function, scripts will be able to react to more keyboard keys and you can move peds in whatever direction you want based on the keys pushed. There are still things I need to figure out but it's definitely possible just with peek/poke commands.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

i cant wait to play a 2 on 2 zooka match with actually only 2 players
yur sa'nok ngeyä
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: robotanarchy

Post by robotanarchy »

I've made a different approach, that works without customizing maps (if you have any feedback to that mod, please post it in the linked thread).
GTA2 Hacker's Remix ...also check out my blog!