GTA Anywhere City Stories - Beta 1.0 - Palmont DEMO!

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Re: GTA Anywhere City Stories - Alpha v0.6

Post by Pyro »

From that, remap 13 is a Yakuza remap? Not sure if you've seen it, but I have a tutorial on characters if you need to and has a list of remaps.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: AssainGuy

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pyro
i dunno, but i think that one is yakuza.
(look behind you its a spy)

edit: and i mostly use cerbera fer scripts and stuff great explainations youve got there
i come here sometimes
Software Development / Audio Engineering
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Glad you find the tutorials useful :-)

If you're on Game Hunter we can chat if you like.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pyro
I'm on GH but my ports arent forwarded, and game doesnt start if i launch it like that.
Feel free to help me =)
I've got D-Link DI-524 (invitel hungary)
i come here sometimes
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Small and Dense
AG, building more detail in a smaller space will make the level play better. Check out Tiny³ Town Arena to see just how far that can be taken. Play the original Tiny Town afterwards - it will feel huge, empty and repetitive!

Levels Evolve to be Smaller
Of course, that's a huge change but you already made a start. It's something which gets better over time so don't worry about making the entire city details straight away.

But at the same time, don't expand the city - you'll just have to cut it back and build those bits again later on.

Airports are a decent way to use up some space and provide an open area for driving and stunting. But they actually must be a lot smaller than a real airport would be. An international airport wouldn't fit in a 2x2 grid of GTA2 maps, in fact.

Small City Example
For example, the full island mode in MultiSlayer City has had so many major changes that it's technically MultiSlayer 6.0. The first version was started in July 2003. That was 9 years ago.

It doesn't even have single-player missions. It does have 5 arenas inside it, a co-operative free roam mode, an experimental cops-and-robbers mode as well as a fully fenced street circuit version.

Gameplay. It's all about gameplay. Testing it with 257 players, playing hundreds of hours, to see what they do and what they like. Adjusting the level. Adjusting the weapons. Adjusting the respawn points. Testing again. And again. And again. Sometimes it's better. Sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes you keep trying an idea for months and have to give up because it just doesn't play well in GTA2. Then you have a better idea and players love it, so you're a legendary modder again. Or you just cut that bit out and players love the level again because it's faster to drive to the action. :lol:

Tutorials
Thanks for complimenting those tutorials. That makes it feel worthwhile! Especially nice to know that the time we spent re-writing them has made great explanations. Phew!
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@BenMillard
Thanks for your review! ;)
Well, i'll keep expanding the city, because its very small, and i can see it now too. I've got great ideas for that. To not make the map soooooooo empty in most of the places. And a random airport in the forest is stupid i think :|. It needs a city area around it

But in the meantime, i'm on to make more more and even more shiny design into this place. But why i'm still expanding the city, is that:
-i want to make it larger, its small righ now
-more places to hide secrets
-more place to drive around
-and if i'll design the city fully right now, i'll have to make this afterwards, what will be a big work again. better start with a simple design, then make it ALL shiny in one.

please.. anyone has any ideas for a special building/place/stuff/whatever?

also, status:
i'll make this area MOAR shiny, so dont blame ;)!
notice the reachable roofs

PS: I started playing Far Cry 2, its awesome (and laggy) as HELL!
i come here sometimes
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

EI, CHECK DIS OUT!
(if audioswap didnt work, there will be EAR RAPE!!!)
i come here sometimes
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

Alpha 0.6.5 (NOT RELEASED YET.)
-Expanded the city to the east.
-Finished the airport. (+ ALOT OF STUNTS, a plane, what is actually just a model, parking area, secrets)
-Made the race track a bit more challanging and enjoyable
-Map bug fixing

Screenies:
The whole new area:

Closer look at the city:

The airport:

The plane <3:

Race track update:

I didn't put this into the main post, because its not released. Its just for ppl who are actually following this mod.
Peace, playa :3

-Assa
i come here sometimes
Pyro
Immortal

Re: GTA Anywhere City Stories - Alpha v0.6 [ONLINE NEXT VERS

Post by Pyro »

Some observations from new pictures:
  • Road markings are still too close together!
  • There are no stop lines at junctions.
  • Seems all the roads are single-lane each way, what about making double or triple width roads for the highways?
  • The road inside corner tile and the outer corner don't have a road line in the middle but you've placed a line in the next block, making the line look thin and out of place.
  • No sign of pedestrian crossings.
  • Traffic lights in future?
  • Most of the buildings still suffer a severe case of the 'blocky'.
  • Airport buildings look a little bland - the design is nice but the textures do not fit it.
  • The plane is interesting, but maybe choose a different texture(s) for it.
  • Plane needs to be about 2 blocks longer in front and behind the wings.
  • The tail fin on plane is massive!
  • The 'steps' up to the plane seem to be made out of brick, which makes it look like a permanent feature. Try changing to metal?
  • Should be some sort of car park at the airport. Also a good place for bus station(s) and train station nearby since its a big location.
  • Maybe try and theme the areas of the map better? Like houses in one side blending in to commercial stuff and industrial stuff elsewhere.
Don't take it negatively, these are just what I've seen from your pictures. Once you have a 0.7 release with just the essential files I'll have a good look at it (not the ~42mb version!). 8-)
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pyro
1: I know. But it will be only fixed when i finish the map. Its too much work.
2: That's what I'm making right now.
3: Will be done at new places.
4: WIll be fixed.
5: Detail. Working on right now.
6: Planned, but haven't done yet.
7: Ouch.
8: Then suggest a better one, please. It uses wil.sty.
9: Same as 8.
10: Will be fixed.
11: Will be fixed.
12: Will be fixed.
13: The new area isn't scripted yet. Before that it was all about "grab and place", but there aren't much items now, so i have to add them by myself. I planned to make the scripts when i finish that area.
14: Detail. lud911 is working on the good looking ads. (suggestions?)

Thank you for the bug/deatail/whatever reporting :)!
(Wanna test it online?. We could test it with Gustavob, but it was epicly laggy and unenjoyable. PM me here or at GH and i'll send you the map files. I have forwarded my ports, and fixed the slow network window ploblem.)

Peace, playa =)
i come here sometimes
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

yur sa'nok ngeyä
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@elypter
thanks! imma get a deep look into those buildings
i come here sometimes
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Ely, where are the interesting buildings in Blast City - First Blood? I didn't see any. Industrial level has equal or better ones - good place to look, AG.

At the bottom of my original texture guides, I list interesting buildings in Downtown and well-made Residential areas.

We both agree that Aztecatl - Nextlaualli has awesome potential. I think it needs better access to make it fun in deathmatch.

Try looking at most maps by Lantyz (you'll have to search). Heri made some good stuff but it's sometimes more about the mission scripting in his levels.

Race Adventures (you'll have to search) shows how a race map can cover a large area and stay interesting. It changes between several themes but also shows good detail and layout. make sure you don't get Race Adventures 2 (RA2) because that sucks, in comparison.

Capital City is a full-sized landscape with many interesting things. Some really innovative uses of rotated textures in places as well as an ancient Greek temple set on a lake. It also has an airport with terminals, runways, planes and a hangar, which might give you inspiration. (The towers in your airport should be 1/4 of their current thickness, I think.)

(EDIT) Oh, the one called Illspirit's Map (you'll have to search) shows how ste.sty can be used to make intricate, refined buildings in a realistic style. It's probably the hardest style to work with because there are 5-6 building sets that are all the same, just a different colour! Doesn't leave much variety.

(EDIT2) The geometery and size of Zooka Arena have made it a classic for deathmatch. It is often used for tournaments. The only weak point is some really bad respawn points; you are very exposed to spawnkilling.

(EDIT3) The landscape is pretty bad but Ga Spar Edited by Razor (you'll have to search) is a successful 4-player team game. It has an objective, the teams alternate and there are anti-cheating measures.

(EDIT4) Also worth mentioning Bootcamp Capture The Van (CTV) by Pyro (you'll have to search). It shows how good you can make 'off-road' areas look. The railway along the North side has a particularly nice use of 1/4 walls.
Last edited by BenMillard on 12 Feb 2012, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

this again?

@AssainGuy
sorry that i was afk earlier this day
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Airport Control Tower Example
Airport Control Tower Example
gta2-airtower.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 54345 times
An example of an airport control tower that I made in about 10 minutes. It's only a quick example and can be easily improved upon but here's what you can see:
  1. It uses shadows (pick a direction and stick with it in the map).
  2. While it is rectangular, it's not a massive cube. This is a good example of appropriate scale.
  3. Use of interesting block angles. The roof is sloped and the walkway uses the thin cube option - great if no one is walking up there anyway.
  4. Surrounding detail - things like the power generator with cable attached to building. Little things like this really help!
Try looking at the three official maps for some ideas too, especially roof design. The second city especially has very interesting roof designs and styles on it. You'd be surprised what you can make by adding a few slopes in or using thin walls (great for balconies)!

Using wil.sty you get a nice range of building tiles to play with, from general shops, houses and industrial sets. Try making a factory with the red brick tiles and using various slopes and chimney stacks or even a building construction site (easier to do in bil.sty than wil.sty but can be done). Lots to try! 8-)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

it looks nice. but have you tested it in gta2? those slopes usually do not render one of the sites in the game.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

Wow thats an epicly designed building lol.
Now im making a small multi map to test out my designing abilities. I am also scripting the new areas in acs .
i come here sometimes
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

NEWS SO FAR:

Alpha 0.7 release is very close!!! I just have to script the whole stuff and add some more buildings and scenery (about 6-8 buildings), and it will be ready!

I am currently working on the HILLS district what will be renamed to something else, because it will be based of Need for Speed: Carbon!
(yeah sorry haters).

And the map plans:

ANYONE who loved Palmont City and wants some expansion, just write!

AssainGuy
i come here sometimes
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

SOME HILLS PROGRESS:

Overall North and West Canyon:

The Village and surrounding area: