Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Register your nick

Post by Salamander »

edit: This is done automatically by GH v1.531 and newer

If you are a frequent GameHunter user, you can gain certain important benefits by registering your nick.

First of all, you will be able to increase the likelihood and so 'prove' to other gamers that you are who you say you are by using a nickname that only you know the password to. A common example: If I write with a certain Sally today, and I see that Sally is using a registered nick that she identified with ( /whois sally ), and then I see Sally again next week, I can be sure that this is the same Sally because she has identified her nick with nickserv (a GTAnet service responsible for handling nick related issues). If anyone else tries to use the nick Sally, that person will not be able to 'identify' that he or she is the real owner of the nick unless they know the password. Trying to use that nick without a password will result in their nick getting changed to something else, e.g. Sally123, within 60 seconds. Sally123 is not Sally. Sally has nice tits, Sally123 has AIDS. Don't confuse the two.

Secondly, you will be able to play for the !crown or !cup (if you are good enough). Hopefully soon people without registered nicks will not be able to hold the cup nor crown.

To register your nick, make sure that you have been using it for at least 60 seconds, then type:

Code: Select all

/ns register password email
Replace password and email with a secure password you just made up and with your email adress. e.g.

/ns register wRatr4Chu7Aj dirtysally@home.com
Now go to Tools > Settings and paste that password into the password field, so that you can identify with this nickname (this is done automatically when logging in to GameHunter).

To check whether a nick has identified with nickserv, just right-click on the person's nick in the nick list, or write this:

/wi nick
e.g. If you want to check Sally,

/wi sally

Technical addendum, you do not need to read this:
Notice that typically on IRC you should type the nick twice, because if the person you are checking connected using a different server than you did (GTAnet has many servers, you are connect to a random one when logging in to GameHunter) then you will not see that person's idle time if you type the nick only once. Typing the nick once queries the server you are on, typing it twice queries the server that person is on. However you don't need to write the person's nick twice in GameHunter because it already duplicates the nick internally, it does it for you. Although this has nothing to do with checking whether that person has identified, it is useful to know their idle time so that you can tell whether they are sitting at their computer or have fallen asleep an hour ago. Probably with Sally123, the one with AIDS.
Last edited by Salamander on 03 Aug 2010, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Re: Register your nick

Post by B-$hep »

How to restore GH psw?
I registered my nick: B-$hep long time ago but forgot the password.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Your can't use $ symbol in your name. IRC networks limit what characters are allowed for names.

Registered names expire after about 2 weeks if no one signs in using the password. If it was registered, you have to ask a GTANet IRC server operator to send your password to your email address.

Here's an old list of staff: http://gtaconnection.net/page/network/staff/

You can find active staff by connecting to irc.gtanet.com and typing /j #callcentre
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

This should be sticky (even though GH does it automatically).