New game: Top down city!

Talk about any other games here
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: RedShirt

Re: New game: Top down city!

Post by JernejL »

Ok, i've fixed it this time - you can just download the same file again (https://gtamp.com/tdc/tdc_demo.7z), (again clear browser cache).
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

Sorry, nope. Exactly the same error.
Maybe it' my laptop, WIN10 is old and needs refreshing.
I mean from 0. Restore the fresh windows from the recovery partition and install updates and maybe then your game starts to work.
Maybe your system is newer than mine and my system doesn't have all the necessary stuff "fixed".
I dont have any XP or WIN7 machines near me. Just this lap.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Ok, can you post the log file again here? this is really weird, this should been fixed unless you downloaded file too fast before my upload was complete and got a old file? (the file has completed uploading now, upload was going really slow)
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

Oh i see, downloaded again, works now.
Thanks so much for all this help and sorry for the trouble.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Btw - sadly logofero's mods will not work in this build because the file formats have changed, but map editor is now capable of text export / import so a map converter could be made from other games.

File formats are not going to change going from this version - all file records are changed in such way, that they will be backwards compatible from now on.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

I've added automatic see-thru effect when going underground or thru buildings :)

agent_TACO
Ped
Ped

Post by agent_TACO »

Haven't had any issues getting the game to launch but notice the game crashed when driving a bulldozer or firetruck:

Also had a moment when I fell into water where the game failed to respawn me:

Noticed on this part of the map if press car enter option I would run around the object in a clockwise circle:

Also when changing resolution the menu box would become invisible with only some text visible. If I tried to click around to "grab", it would become visible

Overall game looks great and looking forward to future builds! Underground effect is perfect!
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Deleted. Not relevant.
Last edited by Logofero on 08 Oct 2020, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Looking forward to your review, i'm sure this is now much more complete, but that issues will still show up.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

nice. this is a really good solution for underground walking
yur sa'nok ngeyä
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Thanks Agent_Taco - the water crash was fixed and is patched up already.
The enter key is a hilarious bug - any object can have doors, as objects and cars are all same to the game.
2 of those objects there actually had a door on them and player was trying to enter.. but never reaching the door as it was not accesible (it was in center of object) - i also made sure that this cannot repeat again.

I'll check the screen resolution bug also - but it is likely that i fixe that already aswell - i will upload another build soon.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

New release - should have all those issues fixed:

https://gtamp.com/tdc/tdc_demo_2020_feb.7z
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

I'm working on upgrading scripting mechanisms, i added support for pickups again (this time it works) and made some tests with that.
I also added additional weapons - landmines and oil slick, video of this will be posted possibly next week.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Got a update! The game is growing!
A lot of reworking in the map renderer, now supports more than 1 quad per block face, various optimizations, tweaks, simplifications and corrections, as consequences more complex map cube shapes were added such as rounded and additional other irregular pieces
Added feature: jumping over objects and cars (except the big ones)
Additional debug view mode in map editor (see-thru topmost tiles to see errors)
AI Threat tracking now supports multiple targets and picks one based on health (in future based on some priority.. )
Audio sources on actors are now bound there, so that doppler works properly on footsteps
Avoiding / running away brave sir robin scared logic
Cars: support tyre oiling, this makes oil slicks work
Fixed actors sinking occasional crash
Fixed additional issue with touching objects
Fixed findfriendlyZ and related actor traffic generation bugs
Fixed graphical look when actors sink
Fixed networking particles crash
Fixed nonsense jump bugs hurting you when touching cars / objects
Fixed the stuck-falling bug when going around objects
Fixed traffic for singleplayer games
Improved AI for wandering, fixed issues with traffic & pedestrians generation
Improved audio: fixed audio lost crash bugs and improved audio effect gain levels for crash sounds
Improved info boxes - corrected buttons
Improved vehicle snap logic on longer vehicles, looks better, feels better and is a better approach (uses vehicle length and max velocity to know when snapping is appropriate)
Improvements to ground detection functions for actors
Improvements to handle landmine / ground placed particles, support for active and passive breaking of particles based on proximity
IsUnderGround improvement: diagonals and irregular blocks are now properly checked so it no longer triggers underground mode when near building edges
Map editor got some fixes aswell, plus a big upgrade to block shapes editor
Maps now support version formats and editor will correctly open older maps from now on
Particles now support collide sound
Removed self-inflicted damage calling police on you
Reworked map surface parameters, now it's a distinct parameter for where pedestrians spawn, and the surface type is determined per tile option as set in editor
Some audio fixes and improvements
Sorted out walking on slopes under angles (more or less)
Triggers are again support in scripting
Underground view improvements, fadein+fadeout effect

Map editor got some fixes aswell, plus a big upgrade to block shapes editor:

All sort of complex blocks can be made and added - map format supports more than 8000 custom blocks that you can use and all can be edited per map.

Link to download: http://gtamp.com/tdc/tdc_demo.7z (clear browser cache! )

Let me know how it works for you all!
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Deleted. Not relevant.
Last edited by Logofero on 08 Oct 2020, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Thanks for the testing and feedback, here are some answers
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 From the bugs I noticed:
1. Problems with the cursor. When the game starts, an additional cursor appears. This can be a download icon or a double arrow that closes the view.
This i am not sure what it is, a picture will help me out figure this out.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 2. The game really began to work more stable. There are no crashes when changing the resolution - it pleases. However, this did not completely correct the fall. Perhaps this is also affected by the weak parameters of my PC. So on my discrete, GT720M from Nvideo the game hung up 5 minutes after the client started. But by restarting the game I was able to play without crashes. And on Intel's integrated HD Graphics, the game slows down.

It is probably that this was not caused by gpu, but something hanged in the game.
Integrated graphics are usually not strong enough to play this, maybe intel iris graphics is capable enough, but intel extreme graphics is too weak.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:353. Problems with shells (this disease was in the Demo from 2018). The fired shells from the tank fly along its movement, and not ahead of its vector, as it should.
This is not actually what the problem is, initially every particle is launched at vehicle velocity, this is something that gta1 and gta2 didn't do properly, this is why the tank rockets took some special aim to get them to hit while moving, the effect that you see is lack of additional acceleration once the rocket is launched (rockets should be fast) - this is what i need to implement, then it will look good.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 4. We have already noted this problem. The center of the flash on the gun barrel is offset.
On which weapons does this happen? I went and centered all shoot offsets, the flash and bullet appear at correct place, only the bullet trail has a bit of glitch when shot initially - see picture:

Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 5. Throwing a grenade has become somehow complicated and not convenient. I like the cast from Demo 2018.
This is more similar to how gta2 had it, there's even a aim target graphics for some throwables that help you throw it at correct space.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 6. A stain of oil behaves strangely. Auto spins very much. It would be better if the car turned off the road.
It needs to be tweaked properly in my opinion too, it's not a finished effect - it needs more work, but i wanted to have prototype of that working at least and improve later.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 It's great that you JernejL made a tank as I suggested earlier. So I like him more. I see added mines and oil, cool.
I need to add mechanism for dropping mines and oil from cars, that'll look much better in the end.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 From the suggestions:
1. It would be nice to be able to ram (push) with a bucket/hook on a bulldozer, but at the same time that the tracks are like a tank (to drive along the roofs).
This would turn it into a complex articulated vehicle, i know it would be neat, but won't make this currently because it would be a lot of work for just this, it can be done in the future.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 2. Make the tank turret rotational speed adjustable. Now she is very fast.
It actually has acceleration and max acceleration which i did not yet make configurable. But you can use mouse aim for this (hold right mouse to aim to cursor) in vehicles too, so you can just use that.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35 3. This is not necessary, but I have been thinking about it for a long time. It would be interesting to be able to turn the tracked vehicles 360 degrees.
I've tried to make this already (tracked vehicles do drive slightly different), but it requires a completely new tracked vehicle dynamics model, it is planned, but low on priority, i know it will look great tho.
Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:354. When the surfaces are translucent, the boundaries of the circle will look better with blurry edges. In the center there is a clearer clearance, and less at the edges.
I plan to do something like this - a transparency overlay will be used in the future, similar to this:

Logofero wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:35
Yet. Due to the decrease in players' interest in modifications, my transfer of DLC to the new version of the engine is frozen until an indefinite time.
For full adaptation, the transfer of resources to a new engine will require a lot of free time and personal motivation. Since my DLCs are non-profitable, it’s hard and pointless to do this now without personal motivation.

If suddenly I have time, and most importantly desire and opportunity, then maybe an update will appear, if someone does not do this before. Therefore, I allow independent authors to use all resources from the TDC GTA1 DLC and TDC GTA2 DLC in their mods, including continuing to update the mod for the new version of the engine and become the author of this update. The only conditions: Your mod must be non-commercial and distributed under the same conditions with the preservation of previous authors.

I also want to wish JernejL success to your project, not to abandon it, continue to update. And as far as I know, how long have you been making the game. The cherished ideas must live, and dreams come true, despite all the difficulties of being.

I am happy that you was able to test it, and that progress shows, i hope to make more jumps in quality like this.

We are a niche community here, more people will join at later time when the game will be more interactive and playable and mods will have more success.

i will persevere to get this game finished. I can show some progress - here are now world-correct map shadows :)

Next step is getting night lighting done.
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Deleted. Not relevant.
Last edited by Logofero on 08 Oct 2020, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Updated demo with the new shadows system, i'm interested in how well this works for you, if it glitches, if it's slow and if it works at all:

https://gtamp.com/tdc/tdc_demo.7z (again clear browser cache)
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Deleted. Not relevant.
Last edited by Logofero on 08 Oct 2020, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman

Post by JernejL »

Thanks, i got your private message log too - there is a flaw in the shaders used for shadows, it works on amd graphics cards and now also on intel cards (but game is not yet updated) - but it won't work on nvidia no matter what i do, so i will borrow some nvidia gpu next month and fix that issue.