Tiny San Andreas? MP map I started from scratch today (WIP)

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Tiny San Andreas? MP map I started from scratch today (WIP)

Post by Devastator »

Technically the second map I've made from scratch.
I probably started work on this midday yesterday. Stopping for now to go to bed.
There's a decently sized out of bounds zone that you can see but not go to surrounding the main play area. I'm planning on incorporating a lot of vertical elements in this map (platforming, jumping from building to building on foot, etc).

One of the roofs you gain access to by jumping down onto a sky walk from one building, dropping inside of the sky walk through a hole, & then coming out of the roof of the next building.

My original conception of this map was based off of the fun with scripting I was doing in the San Andreas map in GTA2. Primarily creating boss characters with no reload times to have what looks like laser weapons. My idea was to create a map where one player can only use a Dual Pistol, Machine Gun, Shotgun, & Electro Baton, with no reload times, & close to 2000 thousand health, but is forced to only be able to walk, while all the other players can move around normally. I was gonna call it "Juggernaut." All high tier weapons (Rocket Launcher, Flamethrower, Electro Gun, Molotovs, etc) were going to be high up in the air, requiring platforming that a character moving at a walking speed could not perform (to prevent the Juggernaut from being able to spam missiles) but all health, armor, fast reload, double damage, etc, are going to be on ground level, making getting them riskier due to the Juggernaut being on ground level. There'll also be a lot of hiding spots.

I'll probably release two scripts, normal game play & then ideally this idea that I had for the Juggernaut mode.
Attachments
TinySA1.png
TinySA2.png
TinySA3.png
TinySA4.png
TinySA5.png
TinySA6.png
TinySA7.png
TinySA8.png
TinySA9.png
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Tiny San Andreas? MP map I started from scratch today (W

Post by elypter »

cool concept and nice to see more maps with alternative textures
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Does anyone know what causes this graphical glitch with cars being visible through flat platforms directly above them?
Attachments
CARCLIP.png
CARCLIP.png (572.9 KiB) Viewed 36113 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

More important question: My map will crash after I've been playing for a while, & I suspect it has to do with spawning of emergency vehicles after I've spent some time causing havoc. Does anyone know if emergency vehicles have a preference for certain size roads? Or if spawning on irregular slopes can cause crashing? Everything seems normal but after I've played for a bit the game crashes & I have no idea why.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i have this problem with some of my maps too. i dont know if its fixable but i suggest to fix it rather early than later. nobody knows the exact reason but it could have to do with walls or slopes that are not one block away from a road, especially corners. remove everything suspicious and see if it works. then add in stuff again until you find the reason. if its not that then its maybe not cleaned up stuff under ground
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

elypter wrote:cool concept and nice to see more maps with alternative textures
I've been testing it out & "Juggernaut" is totally doable. But I'm thinking of giving all other players a faster run speed, for both balancing & because of how fun it is. I tweaked Sektor's code & I was able to make it so that No Reload times will selectively work with specific weapons when they are equipped for the Juggernaut: Pistol, Machine Gun, Dual Pistol, Shotgun, Electro Baton, & Silenced Machine Gun. This way the Juggernaut cannot spam rockets if he were to get a rocket launcher. He'll start of with all the guns I mentioned, but only Shotgun, Machine Gun, & Electro Baton will be infinite ammo (everything else he can deplete) for him.

For play testing purposes does anyone know the NPC health value equivalent of a player with full hearts & armor? Nevermind, I just tested it out & I think I got it. A pistol bullet is 50 hitpoints of damage. It took 10 shots for an NPC pistol to kill me with full hearts, so that's 500, right? & Armor gives you 250 additional hit points. So 750 total.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Progress
Attachments
TINYSA10.png
TINYSA11.png
TINYSA12.png
TINYSA13.png
TINYSA14.png
TINYSA15.png
TINYSA16.png
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

btw, if you find the exact block that causes the crashes then maybe vike can fix it.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Yeah I just saw that message you left last night after my last post in here. So undeleted tiles underground can cause issues?

I never had any crashes on my first level it seemed, maybe I didn't play it for long enough but the whole thing was designed to be a player only map.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i dont know but it was is the last thint to do. it didnt quite work out for me but maybe it can help
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I took a video of everything in my map so far. You can see a lot of the platforming elements here. However my recording software caused some input lag so some of my jumps got messed up.

elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i made it possible to get on every building in tiny face off army too. there are quite some hidden and visible paths
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Spent an obsessive amount of time making more shortcut tunnels that cut through everything. Almost all buildings have a pathway on ground level too. I've been making a lot of custom textures too so that you can see people inside of tunnels/buildings.

The very last building is the "Fire House" which is going to be a multitiered mini-arena that you have to drop down into (you can't enter it from street level). It'll have flamethrowers in all ground level entrances, molotovs on the yellow platforms (only accessible by dropping down from the roof), & three rocket launchers on the roof. The "Fire" signs make it so that rocket misfires can still blow the player down inside the building with its shockwave.
Attachments
docks.png
tenfrontside.png
tenement.png
tan2.png
tan1.png
industrial building.png
downtown.png
bluebuilding.png
grey buildingfront.png
greybuilding.png
Firehouse.png
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Here I showcase how the various different weapons in my map change your run speed. The machine gun speed is the default, shared by the molotov & grenade (Speed 6). The fastest is the electro baton(7). Just beneath the machinegun is the shotgun & fist(5). A step below that is the flamethrower & silenced machine gun(4). The third to last slowest speed is the rocket launcher (3). The dual pistol, Pistol, & electro gun all force you to move at the slowest speed, (1).
Pistol, Dual Pistol, Shotgun, Silenced Machine Gun & Electro Baton all have no reload times. The varying run speeds act as a way to balance the map, due to (for example) the pistol being more powerful than the machine gun now. Also, weapon spawn points will be timed at balanced intervals along with the respective ammo drops for each.

If you get hit with a current from an electro gun it forces you to move at the second slowest speed, (2). You still have the chance to escape the electrical arc however, due to the wielder moving slower than you.

If another player punches you, you will be forced to move at the slowest speed until that player is killed. This will impair your ability to platform around the map. If you die before the offending player does, you will still be forced to walk until you or another player kills them. However, due to this handicap, your machinegun will have a reload time of zero.

Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

This is definitely a pretty cool effect. That fan is animated too. (I've made a good deal of custom textures/texture edits for this map)
Attachments
LAYERS.png
LAYERS.png (658.85 KiB) Viewed 35916 times
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

The level looks way too big for combat mostly on foot. But the architecture is a nice mix of GTA1 textures with GTA2 detailing. Similar style to my MultiSlayer island city for GTA2, which used the very non-GTA2 textures from GTA1 Vice City (aka Miami).

I focussed more on the geometery of the buildings creating cool spaces for car chases and a feeling of arena maps when you get out and engage your opponent.

A lot of your screenshots are badly stretched. It's like you are using a 4:3 aspect ratio program stretched across a 16:9 screen.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

You'd be surprised how fast you can move through this level with the scripted runspeeds that are standard for the map. As well as all the shortcuts. I'm not designing it to play like GTA2 conventionally.
The multislayer (version 5 I think) map was / is a huge influence, at least aesthetically (I played it by myself for fun for years). & I'm definitely aiming for that arenas within arenas feel.
The screenshots are straight out of the DMA editor with all the tool bars disabled. I agree it doesn't look as good as it could.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

you can use TMs Epic Map Editor for this. it looks much nicer
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I do use it for zoning & getting coordinates. I'll have to try that out.

EDIT: I timed it & it should take one about 20 seconds to get from the far east side to the far west side of the map on foot (with the machine gun equipped). 10 seconds north to south. If one is holding the electrobaton(whicha all players get in the respawn area) it should take 17 & 7 seconds respectively.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

On my map, all players start with/ respawn with 750 health. This should be the equivalent of full health with armor. So if you get armor it puts you up to about 875/1000 health points.

All players with starting health will be marked with green vests (Emergency Graphic type). Once their health has been knocked down to standard levels they will have the standard gangster graphic type. Once they are two machinegun hits away from dying they will have a civilian graphic type. Restoring health will change them back to the gangster graphic.
Don't be fooled, someone may look like they have low health but they could still trick you by having full armor.

In my map, players will be able to "Cripple" each other by punching other players. Crippled players are forced to walk to slowly. They have no reload times for all weapons in this state however. The only way to cure it is to kill the offending player who punched you. Crippled players will have the Naked civilian remap.

The FPS in this video ruins one of the coolest effects I've implemented: Players being shocked with the Electro Gun flicker a neon blue/purple (Yakuza remap). It's not represented best here but it's a really cool effect to see in motion.

Lastly, being set on fire will give the player neon red hair & arms. Their base speed will be boosted to the fastest on the map, Speed 8. But their health is locked at ten hitpoints. One hit from the machinegun will kill them instantly, UNLESS they have armor. (It seems like continuous attack with the flamethrower could do them in too). They can run around the map stealing health tokens too(still being locked at 10 health). & all weapon run speed locks will be negated. Grabbing an Invulnerability powerup will negate being on fire. If you set someone on fire be sure to finish the job as soon as possible.

I've also made it so that players will flicker red when shot with a bullet weapon/shotgun (Red emergency remap), but I did that feature after taking this video.