Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6.6) Beta

Post by T.M. »

How about BenMillard & Elypter, you figure out the if/while logic in SCR files, and i make the traffic editor? Fair deal? ;) You get something you wanted, i get something i wanted.

To finish this traffic editor, it will take at least 6 hours of my time.

Even if you cant figure out the if/while logic in 6 hours of time, you probably gain some information that is helpful at least. Hell, you might even start liking it, and keep hacking it for another 6 hours ;)

I'm just saying, my time is limited too, and i have several other ideas on how i could spend my 6 hours of time. Its not like this traffic editor is the most interesting thing i could do at the moment.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

It takes a special set of skills to figure out such things. Without them, you could have 6 years and it won't be enough.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:It takes a special set of skills to figure out such things. Without them, you could have 6 years and it won't be enough.
I disagree. The hardest thing is to implement the mis-code -builder (might even be impossible, due to compiler bugs or because of the way how it compiles the code), but its a lot easier to figure out the format/logic on how the if/while structures are encoded in the SCR file. Thats basically all i would need to know, when i start implementing it.

I just havent had enough patience to figure it out completely. It gets pretty complicated to understand nested IF's and WHILE's. And on top of that, the SCR compiler is buggy, and generates buggy code sometimes, also it seems to generate useless pieces of code sometimes too.

The process is pretty straightforward, just a lot of hex-editor, testing, crashing and finally, success! ;)

The mis-format isnt very complicated, so you can just make all possible combinations and see how their logic goes, and then you have it.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Would you consider drawing the traffic light sprite in maps which have defined traffic light zones?

The exact logic behind this can get pretty complex due to 'medians' and unequal-sized junctions. Would be super handy to preview them all in the editor instead of going in and out of game, flying around with debug keys and screen-shooting the coordinates.

Lights of East and West traffic always seem to be at the North of the block, even when the traffic going East should have their light in the South of that block.

jailbreak.gmp traffic light zone starting at (74,156) is the area I'm particularly talking about.

MultiSlayer Race has a complex 'hacked' light so it only displays on the West side of the junction.

(EDIT) Making it illuminate properly when lighting is turned on would also be super handy when figuring out where road street lights are needed.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Would you consider drawing the traffic light sprite in maps which have defined traffic light zones?

The exact logic behind this can get pretty complex due to 'medians' and unequal-sized junctions. Would be super handy to preview them all in the editor instead of going in and out of game, flying around with debug keys and screen-shooting the coordinates.

Lights of East and West traffic always seem to be at the North of the block, even when the traffic going East should have their light in the South of that block.

jailbreak.gmp traffic light zone starting at (74,156) is the area I'm particularly talking about.

MultiSlayer Race has a complex 'hacked' light so it only displays on the West side of the junction.

(EDIT) Making it illuminate properly when lighting is turned on would also be super handy when figuring out where road street lights are needed.
Yeah. Been on my TODO list for a while. I'm kinda busy right now.

You could figure out the logic, and I'll implement it.

To figure it out, you would have to make a lot of combinations with the traffic zones/arrows to get it right. It's not impossibly hard. I think i made some progress on it few years back... remember to test different slopes as well, they seemed to change the logic somehow.
Rick
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Sequential

Post by Rick »

BenMillard wrote:Please display traffic directions in your map editor. There is no tool which does this for GTA2 on current operating systems, AFAIK.
Well ok it´s not a current os (I use XP), but maybe it´s helpful somehow:
The DMA Map Editor does not if you directly open a *.gmp in Windows,
but it does if you open DMA Map Editor first and then open a gmp file in the Editor.
Just have noticed that, I didn´t try it with newer Windows yet.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

That's a setting on your computer. Sometimes called file type association.

You can change it by right-clicking any .gmp file, then choose Open With... > Choose Program... or words to that effect.

This will display a window of all installed programs on your computer. If the GTA2 Editor isn't there, click the Browse... button and find it that way.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I think he meant the traffic arrows won't be shown if you double click the .gmp file itself, but will do so if you open the map editor, click Open and then select the .gmp file
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Gustavob wrote:I think he meant the traffic arrows won't be shown if you double click the .gmp file itself, but will do so if you open the map editor, click Open and then select the .gmp file
That's what i thought.

Now, does that fix the problem? Do i still have to make the traffic arrows in my editor?
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Made no difference for me. If it worked for everyone I'm sure we would have discovered it years ago and all use it.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Total 1579 users (not IP's) for this editor now, according to logs. Germans and Russians seem to be the most enthusiastic downloaders.

(world map of most users per country for this editor)

I wonder if Sektor has made similar stats about GTA2 players? Would be nice to see if they match to this editor's stats.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

New release coming this week, if there is anything small to fix, please elaborate and i will see if i can do anything about it.

I also noticed all my screenshots are gone on this topic Image

Current unreleased changelog:

------------------------------------
0.6.6602 Beta (13.10.2014)
- removed tilesize limiter on big map image saving feature. it didnt work correctly on small window sizes.

0.6.6601 Beta (22.02.2013)
- added mission script count in the list of mission scripts.

- added scrolling for mission scripts, works by using mousewheel.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Cool that you still update the program. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Yes good to see it still being updated. Sucks that imageshack removed old images when they changed their system. At least the images attached to the forum still work. I use http://imgur.com when I need third party image hosting but I think even they remove old images if you upload too many.

I can't think of any bugs but I still would like the ability to add new objects/vehicles to maps without using an external editor.
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

It's nice too see that forum isn't dead.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:I can't think of any bugs but I still would like the ability to add new objects/vehicles to maps without using an external editor.
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have time to write that code yet. Too many things to do. I will make quick update now.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to update. I'll update later, maybe tomorrow.
Nightstalker
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

It's been 3 days since you wanted to make a quick update. Is it really coming out?
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

You should have patience, Nightstalker. He deals to a hard job, it's not easy to write too many codes.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Nightstalker wrote:It's been 3 days since you wanted to make a quick update. Is it really coming out?
Oh shit, sorry. I have been too busy and forgotful recently.

I have already forgotten if I changed something important in it... which would be only for my testing I mean. Uh. Well I will check it out.

Edit: ITS UP! 8-)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Still a nice program, I made some art with it (and Blender), I call it Industrial Sunset:
IndustrialSunset.png
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."