Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta

Post by T.M. »

Davidio wrote:What is different by the TM's Map editor and this?
It's the same editor.... ;)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Added a music in the video too, lal. Fits well :-)
Davidio
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Davidio

Post by Davidio »

T.M. wrote:It's the same editor.... ;)
Oh...... That have i know! :DD But the video is good. All is easy for understand (for the begginers, as example ABA ^^)... RESPECT TO THE EPIC MAP EDITOR [respect] [respect] [respect] [respect] [respect]
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

Is there a 3D blender in Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta? :)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Galactic Boy wrote:Is there a 3D blender in Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta? :)
What is 3D blender?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

This is a 3D blender
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I see. In that case, no, there is no 3D blenders in the Epic GTA2 Map Editor 0.6.6 Beta.
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger
GH nick: Shrooblord

Post by Shrooblord »

Ah, I forgot all about this and GTA2 for a while. I may get back into it in a while, when I have more time on my hands. I already got all excited just by reading the 'simple' edits you've been doing since my last post. It's great to see you're still working on this - it must be a hell of a lot of fun to see something built up from the ground by yourself turn out so well after this long a time. I'm downloading the new version now.
Hope to see more of it - loved the editor as it was - will love it more as it will be. ;)

EDIT:
Noticed the warranty agreement has the verb form 'backupped' in it. I don't want to be a know-it-all, but the correct English phrase would be 'backed up'. I thought you might want to know. I'm already loving this editing again... ah... retro games are the best.

EDITII:
I found what may be a bug: when entering the Zone Editor, my whole screen goes black and I don't see the zones. Here's a screenshot. By playing around with it, I noticed I could add the Navigation Zones by using the menu. So there's a bit of a fail on my part. However, the map should still be rendered while in Zone Edit mode, right? I don't see anything here:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2q36m34.jpg
Shrooblord is here and ready to mod, map and go mad with GTA2!
I applaud TradeMark for the GTA2 Map Editor!
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

I can't save screenshots on Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta. :(
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Shrooblord wrote:Noticed the warranty agreement has the verb form 'backupped' in it. I don't want to be a know-it-all, but the correct English phrase would be 'backed up'. I thought you might want to know.
Fixed.
Shrooblord wrote:I found what may be a bug: when entering the Zone Editor, my whole screen goes black and I don't see the zones. Here's a screenshot. By playing around with it, I noticed I could add the Navigation Zones by using the menu. So there's a bit of a fail on my part. However, the map should still be rendered while in Zone Edit mode, right? I don't see anything here:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2q36m34.jpg
Can you send the bug report via the editor? By the looks, it looks like you are out of memory. Try if the bug reappears even if the editor is the only program on at that moment? If its still black, then try creating "lowmem.txt" file in the editor folder and see if it works.
Galactic Boy wrote:I can't save screenshots on Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta. :(
Provide more information about the bug, or i cant do anything about it.

--

I probably should release the newer version, with slight changes... although, i have already forgotten what it changes and is it any buggier or not (last time i touched the code was 7 months ago).
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

To honor the date 12.12.12 i have released a version 0.6.6.6 !

Not much changed, just a little.

Funnily enough, i made a last minute bugfix too!
Changelog wrote:------------------------------------
0.6.6.6 Beta (12.12.12)
------------------------------------
- added better measures detecting if program had crashed or not.

- added lights as objects in the 3d model exporter, note: im not sure if the lights appear correctly, so if you see they arent 100% match to GTA2, inform me!

- added link for online GTA2 text generator i made with Cuban-Pete. tools -> gta2 text generator.

- made the screen to update while resizing the window.

- added screen refresh rate into hardware info.

- added settings.cfg to the crash log.

- added script preview height 100 option for low resolutions.

- enabled prettier Windows buttons etc, styles.

- fixed crash when selecting warp_from_car_to_point object.

- fixed possible crash in the jpg saving function.

- fixed bug reporting system not sending longer than 8kb of text.

- fixed jpg saving on screenshot and big map image! nobody told it was broken for over a year! bug found accidentally a minute before release! please report bugs if you find them.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6.6) Beta

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Awesome! [sm-18] [sm-69]
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Cool. I remember mentioning a JPG saving issue to you on MSN or somewhere but at the time I thought it was related to not having enough free hard drive space/RAM. Next time I'll post in the forum.

Adding new objects just by drag and drop is still on my wish list.

Changing a vehicle to a respawning vehicle or moving many to new coordinates takes a lot of effort to do manually. There's a lot of vehicles in Water Slow Race that I want to change to safe respawning code but changing 10 of them was tedious and there's about 35 more to go. I'm sure it would still take longer to code the feature into your editor than for me to make the changes in a script editor but maybe someone else could make use of it after.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:Cool. I remember mentioning a JPG saving issue to you on MSN or somewhere but at the time I thought it was related to not having enough free hard drive space/RAM. Next time I'll post in the forum.
Oh? I cant recall that. Yep, forum is better.
Sektor wrote:Adding new objects just by drag and drop is still on my wish list.
Same.
Sektor wrote:Changing a vehicle to a respawning vehicle or moving many to new coordinates takes a lot of effort to do manually. There's a lot of vehicles in Water Slow Race that I want to change to safe respawning code but changing 10 of them was tedious and there's about 35 more to go. I'm sure it would still take longer to code the feature into your editor than for me to make the changes in a script editor but maybe someone else could make use of it after.
So basically you want a feature which would allow modifying the coordinates from functions IS_POINT_ONSCREEN() and IS_CAR_IN_BLOCK() ?

[mis]// Respawning FBI Car:
IF (IS_CAR_WRECKED(fbicar))
IF (NOT (DELAY(100)) ) // let explosion happen
IF (NOT (IS_POINT_ONSCREEN(184.5,149.5,2.0)) )
IF (IS_CAR_IN_BLOCK(fbicar, 184.5,149.5,2.0, 1.0,1.0))
// Wreck is blocking spawnpoint:
PUT_CAR_ON_TRAILER (fbicar, trailer)
ENDIF

// Spawnpoint is clear:
DELETE_ITEM (fbicar)
fbicar = CREATE_CAR (184.5,149.5) -1 000 EDSELFBI END // FBI Car
GIVE_WEAPON (fbicar, CAR_MACHINE_GUN, 99)
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF[/mis]

That could be doable, i think... well its been long time since i coded the script editor, so i might be wrong, might take a lot of time.

I'll put it on my TODO list ;)
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

Sektor wrote: Changing a vehicle to a respawning vehicle or moving many to new coordinates takes a lot of effort to do manually. There's a lot of vehicles in Water Slow Race that I want to change to safe respawning code but changing 10 of them was tedious and there's about 35 more to go. I'm sure it would still take longer to code the feature into your editor than for me to make the changes in a script editor but maybe someone else could make use of it after.
if you use codesmith and my template you can declare respawning vehicles in one line

Code: Select all

new respawn_vehicle( "car03", new pos( 130.5, 80.5, 255.0 ), 315, "PICKUP", 10 ),
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I am getting lots of empty crash reports.

Does anyone of you get a message "looks like the program has crashed..." at the first run? I think its the only possibility for such a bug. Although, it should not even happen according to the code.

The crash check uses the registry though, maybe some users cannot access the registry at the first run due to user limitations? Argh... knew it would make problems. Perhaps i revert to file check again. Files have problems too though... hopefully less of them.

Perhaps its best if i add a custom message for each and every crash send form, so users can explain what happened. (will be optional to write there ofc).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

That's the approach Firefox used to take...and possibly still does? Mozilla Crash Reporter it was called. Happily it's been a long time since I used it.

Your map editor has been totally stable and fast on my laptop.

Please make the menu ticking work and have it saved in a settings file! An INI file with one line per menu item, loaded when the program first starts and saved when it exists would be fine. If each menu item has a unique name or 'key' then the INI property name can use that verbatim.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Hm, everything's working fine here though every time i exit the editor it just crashes and has to be shut down the hard way.
And due to that every time i start up the editor it said it didnt exit properly and allows sending a crash report though i never really bothered with that outside of the first 1-2 times it happened.

Though i did once inconveniently managed to overwrite my main script while switching to the main script from a mission file and i think the prompt to save the changes didnt pop up, or perhaps it did but only when the mission was selected, and it simply put the mission file's text into the main script file upon selecting yes. Good thing there was a backup though... Or something along those lines of changing script files, which can happen if you're trying to see if mission stuff doesnt overlap with main script stuff. Perhaps there should be a function to display all items from all scripts or just a few selected ones?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Please make the menu ticking work and have it saved in a settings file! An INI file with one line per menu item, loaded when the program first starts and saved when it exists would be fine. If each menu item has a unique name or 'key' then the INI property name can use that verbatim.
It does save some of the settings already. I dont (and wont) make it to save every click, because some of the settings are just temporary settings you probably change randomly depending on the map. You can always suggest me which settings it should save!
CarThief wrote:Hm, everything's working fine here though every time i exit the editor it just crashes and has to be shut down the hard way.
And due to that every time i start up the editor it said it didnt exit properly and allows sending a crash report though i never really bothered with that outside of the first 1-2 times it happened.
Which editor version you are using? Which OS you have? Does it crash even if you just open the editor and instantly close (without loading map or doing anything with it) ?
CarThief wrote:Though i did once inconveniently managed to overwrite my main script while switching to the main script from a mission file and i think the prompt to save the changes didnt pop up, or perhaps it did but only when the mission was selected, and it simply put the mission file's text into the main script file upon selecting yes. Good thing there was a backup though... Or something along those lines of changing script files, which can happen if you're trying to see if mission stuff doesnt overlap with main script stuff. Perhaps there should be a function to display all items from all scripts or just a few selected ones?
You are right. I just tested. When you edit a map which has multiple scripts and change the script from menu, it does ask if you want to load it and lose changes made to it, but if you press "dont load", it still changes the script file path! So when you save the script next time, it will overwrite it to the currectly selected script (which is not the same script currently loaded). Thats what happened to you, i assume.

Looks like a bug! it should not change the script path when pressing "No" in that popup about losing changes. I will put this on top of my TODO list.

Thanks for reporting! (please answer to my other questions above too!).
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

The editor will crash when exited via the X top-right at all times, when a map is loaded, when one isnt and even when it hasnt even loaded the main menu succesfully yet! This never had any negative effect on the data i manipulate with the editor though, and if i try to exit the editor and it asks if i want to save changes it wont crash till it is exiting. Though i dont think i've ever tried to save data that way, i ussually just say it to not safe anything.
Using a Windows Vista 32-bit, the editor version is i guess 0.6.6 with some code in brackets: [FC76C9EC].

Also seems to crash when using the exit command.