Did the forum database break?

Discussion about the website and the forum goes here.
T.M.
Immortal

Did the forum database break?

Post by T.M. »

I noticed i had to re-vote on one topic poll.

Did the database break and you had to revert to old version?

I have noticed there has been some instability in the past month. What was that about ?
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Did the forum database break?

Post by Sektor »

The primary hard drive failed recently. The replacement worked for a while but then it failed to mount some partitions. It seems good now but I think I need a new host.

Some quotes from the admin:
Our main drive is failing. We are going to have to replace the drive. Our plan is to do this on Wednesday of this week, between 10am and 1pm eastern time. Once the new drive is in place, they will reinstall the operating system. We then have 72 hours to copy the data from the failing drive to the new drive. I anticipate that we will be back up and functional within hours on Wednesday after they get install completed.

Plan on being down on Wednesday for an extended period of time. We have backups of everything currently and like I said we will be able to copy from the failing drive. I would however recommend your own backups if you want.

Will let you know more as we learn more.
That happened already.
They reclaimed the old drive and now the system isn't mounting some filesystems. Trying to get them to get us remote KVM so we can see what is going on. Sorry about all of this, it's been one giant cluster fuck.
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

I got sql error today at work when tried to access forum. What was that?
It said that something was broken and needs to fix, some table or something..

Sektor please make backup of database. Into different locations.
There is lot's of good info here on forums, it's sad to loose everything.

When i had gta2madness blog i did backup regularly and copied the zipped database into different locations and many copies, just to be safe and to not loose anything.

I could restore my whole website with my backups as it was (comments etc), but i dunno if there is point. co.cc registrar disappeared forever but i will try some other host. Just 4 fun
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

It was just the phpbb_sessions database. We moved from a server with 8GB of RAM to one with 24GB (although apache is running in a VM configured with 6GB RAM). Session data isn't likely to be valid when the server changes IP but I probably should have purged it first. I have backups of everything and it's fixed now.