GTA Anywhere City Stories - Beta 1.0 - Palmont DEMO!

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Re: GTA Anywhere City Stories - Alpha v0.6 [ONLINE NEXT VERS

Post by Razor »

to square 2 me :) try any kind of slopes
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Like Razor said, too square and not natural looking.

Pretty hard to make decent, natural looking scenery in GTA2 but can be done using various slopes and tiles (since you are using ste.sty there are quite a few to pick from), but on the flip side it's equally boring having constant scenery with nothing in it (other than trees etc).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

for a racetrack you could also consider using golden lap racing tiles from f1.sty
yur sa'nok ngeyä
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: AssainGuy

Post by AssainGuy »

Guys i dont know any better ways to make that place more realistic other than buildings and trees. I aint an artist. Ineed an example :)
i come here sometimes
Software Development / Audio Engineering
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

Hey look what i've just made:
i come here sometimes
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

impressive video quality.
my pc would be way too slow to record at that framerate and resolution.

you could add some obsacles th the path and maybe a little traffic by making some parts of the track road.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@elypter good idea, will be done
i come here sometimes
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

Progress about CITY2:

Silverton half complete:

Scientist village:
*You can see a small bug at the roofs of the scientist houses, that is fine ingame, its epic map editor's bug.*

The collapsed building makes traffic to not go up that road (because of bugs, mostly traffic jams):

South town's scripting is ALMOST DONE, so no worries!

-Assain

PS: Should the pink path be changed? I planned that every island will have a type of path, and Silverton in Carbon was red. But like this it doesn't looks very good in my opinion, but it's still not bad.
i come here sometimes
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

AssainGuy wrote:You can see a small bug at the roofs of the scientist houses, that is fine ingame, its epic map editor's bug.
actually, its DMA editor bug; its supposed to show like that ingame. you just cant see it ingame very well. i had to make the "bug" appear in my editor because it really looks like that ingame! :)
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@T.M.
Oh so this is an officially made bug? LOL i didnt knew that :D
This looks in game fine btw :|
i come here sometimes
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

T.M. wrote:
AssainGuy wrote:You can see a small bug at the roofs of the scientist houses, that is fine ingame, its epic map editor's bug.
actually, its DMA editor bug; its supposed to show like that ingame. you just cant see it ingame very well. i had to make the "bug" appear in my editor because it really looks like that ingame! :)
Have to agree - the game doesn't seem to show some faces depending on angle and/or slopes. The best bit of advice I can give is use the tile you want on the cube next to it and make it a 'Flat' surface so it shows, but this won't apply to your one since there's a slope right in front of it.

Anyway, wtb more road markings at junctions :P And the collapsed building looks a little... odd. Seems too clean a break/split, try using slopes on the split so it looks a little better.
AssainGuy wrote:The collapsed building makes traffic to not go up that road (because of bugs, mostly traffic jams):
Yeah, cause there's a fugging building there! :lol:

Edit: ste.sty has some 'wrecked' textures which you've probably seen, but you can use it to make a fully collapsed building like below (also used in second city mission):
ste.sty rubble example
ste.sty rubble example
ste-rubble.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 35130 times
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pyro
Good idea, i'll look after that ;)
i come here sometimes
Pyro
Immortal

Re: GTA Anywhere City Stories - Alpha v0.7 (6p ONLINE)

Post by Pyro »

Just noticed you updated so I figured I'd try it out now (as well as file being small size!). Some comments/observations for you to think about (I know it's not finished):
  1. You didn't include the MIS file.
  2. No readme included (yes it's easy dragging and dropping into gta2\data folder but nice to have).
  3. After loading the first zone name you see is called "mis1end".
  4. The trees on the building directly east look rather weird, as if broken. A LOT of other trees look weird/broken too.
  5. It didn't take long for traffic jams to start appearing at junctions. You need to use the actual junction tiles.
  6. The road markings are still horrible; too close together and on corners/junctions the lines don't blend properly.
  7. The Zaibatsu sign at (139,139) doesn't have any transparency ("Flat" in the map editor). Maybe try using the "thin cube" option to make a smaller sign. The top of the sign doesn't look great either.
  8. You haven't covered the map edges to stop player getting near it. You also have trees right next to the edge so it is repeated indefinitely as far as the player can see and looks bad.
  9. The airport has missing tiles on the buildings where the roof meets the ramp.
  10. The road in the airport should blend between road and runway.
  11. The road at the runway is set to 'field' instead of 'road'.
  12. The air traffic control towers still have the massive walkway around them, maybe try one similar to mine using thin cube?
  13. You should animate the fan tiles (after seeing stationary one in airport).
  14. Lack of zone names.
  15. Water animation speed is HYPER fast, slow it down! Change the speed to about 2 or 3.
  16. The bridge at (18,79) is too steep for cars to get up without hand-braking up it.
  17. Fell through the floor at (35,111) and (36,111).
  18. The steep steps you can walk behind it then walk through it onto the steps (bug from GTA2 engine). You need to block them off so you can't walk under them.
  19. Is that a roller-coaster track at (172,93)? Interesting but definitely needs different textures. Sucks as well since there are no corner track pieces.
  20. I see buses driving around which means there are bus stop zones but I can't see any bus stop markers. The proper pavement has bus stop markings on it to use.
  21. When you die you lose the ped remap. Fix this either by putting the change remap code inside the WHILE_EXEC or do a check if player has died.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pyro

1. Needed? I didn't knew that.
2. First of all, it was 23 in the right when i got all of this finished. I planned to fix this today.
3. I didn't notice that. That means "mission 1 ending". Will get removed.
4. As i said "it still needs lots of improvements"
5. Same as 4.
6. Same as 4.
7. It planned to be like that. :/
8. Same as 4.
9. What missing tiles?
10. I'll think about that.
11. Yes it is.
12. Same as 4.
13. I did, but they don't seem to be working. (Help?)
14. Same as 4.
15. I tought it was normal. Will do.
16. That's because i don't want you to make that jump (even if theres an invisible wall). The bridge cuts, you know.
17. Will be fixed.
18. Looked after it. Will be fixed.
19. Yes, i know that its ugly, but i've tried remaking it and i did not succeed with any better design. I'll look after that.
20. That was for testing at alpha 0.2 xD, i tought i removed them.
21. I've tried doing that, and failed every time. (Help?)

When i saw your name, i just knew you found something ;). It's not perfectly finished, i saw some other bugs by myself, but i really wanted to release it for testing.
i come here sometimes
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

That's fine, I'm not trying to bash your work though :P

Also, easiest way to make the player have a permanent ped style remap is to do the following, just change remap to whatever you want...

[syntax=mis]LEVELSTART

WHILE_EXEC (loop=1)

SET_CHAR_GRAPHIC_TYPE (p1,DUMMY_GRAPHIC,35)

// rest of code...

ENDWHILE

LEVELEND[/syntax]
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Pryo
Thanks, i added it now and i'm using it works perfectly! ;)
i come here sometimes
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I just saw the Outdated promos thread and I have to say, the 0.6 alpha video is fantastic! Really well produced, good music choice, shows the level off nicely and provides some action.

Looking forwards to trying out v0.7 now. Will let you know how I get on. It already looks like a big development from the earlier parts I saw.

(EDIT) OK here's my review. In no particular order, just the sequence I found things in:
  1. The download link is hard to see in your first message. Use real text, maybe make it bold, and put it really near the start of the message. Just after one of the promo images, perhaps.
  2. You can wrap a link around an image, too, so you might use your design skills to create a download button.
  3. The download is really nice and lightweight, just over 100kB!
  4. Please shorten the .mmp file's Description value. Tiny Hidden Surprise Arena is one of my levels and even that the name is too long, imho. I suggest: Anywhere City Stories
  5. Nice, low terrain gives a high zoomed-out view. Cool to see that applied to a larger level.
  6. Rooftop access to the Krishna area is a nice idea...but it's too hard to find. The way up to the rooves isn't inside the area and the stairs are just randomly leading up from a field. They could be incorporated more elegantly.
  7. Most roads are only 2 lanes wide. An earlier version had some interesting 3-lane ones, I thought? If you don't put traffic in the middle lane, it makes getting around larger towns much faster, without looking too big.
  8. Please give weapons maximum ammo and instant respawn. Especially important when playing free-roam style with friends online! Also, if I run up 5 flights of stairs I want some serious weaponry at the end! (And a refreshing can of chilled Sprunk.)
  9. Elvis ratio is...perfect!
  10. Functional zebra crossings. Nice touch.
  11. I saw a gang Z-Type driving around the Zaibatsu area. But only one. Increase that ratio, please!
  12. Tank at (124,111) cannot be driven. The tail is slightly stuck inside a building wall. Move it slightly South.
  13. The corridor at (174,142) is almost impossible to see. Secret areas are a nice idea. But you should use the correct edge textures to show so it is visible, at least. Remember we are often being chased by 3 FBI cars, so any 1x1 feature is hard to see - even when it is open to the air with correct edges!
  14. How did a Tank get up to (162,106) in the first place? Secrets should look a bit more natural. It makes them a better find. Also, clever players can guess where secrets will be and therefore find more of them, more quickly.
  15. A few molotovs behind a countryside barn is a nice touch. GTA: San Andreas made that link once or twice, I think.
  16. Warehouse roof shapes are good near (200,100) but the texture edges could be improved?
  17. Nice sharp jumps at the airport. Perfectly timed use of handbrake make these 'kickers' the longest jumps you can do in GTA2. (If you put them at highest Z level, leading to lowest Z level. Maybe on a roof as air conditioning vents?)
  18. The gangs and law enforcement really bring the level to life! Reminds me of MultiSlayer City; it's quite fun to drive around with a couple of friends, causing chaos and doing stunts.
(More to follow.)

Forum 1337 h4xx0r Codez
You can reply using nice list formatting by using this code:

Code: Select all

[list=1]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]And so on...
[/list]
Last edited by BenMillard on 15 Mar 2012, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Ben

Well, thanks for the review, and thanks not not just looking for problems ;)!

I'll now create an answer list as usual:

EDIT) OK here's my review. In no particular order, just the sequence I found things in:

1;2. Orly? Yrly. I'll add it when today's hotfixed will be done (but don't expect very big stuff like pyro said about the roads)
You can wrap a link around an image, too, so you might use your design skills to create a download button.
3. I did it with 7zip, it's a lot better than WinRAR! :)
4. Yeah, I'll shorten it to: South Town ACS
5. Thanks! But terrain like trees will be remade today. They look like shit, like Pyro said!
6. Okay, I planned to expand that place anyways ;).
7. Well that got noticed when I was at 0.5, but I cannot remake this now :(. But don't worry, Canyons district will have 2x wider roads!
8. I was very tired when I made all the pickup scripts, will be done asap!
9.<3
10. Already, there's just one, that I didn't knew about! I almost forgot that one, I'll make some, more!
11. Due the not very wide roads, i had to decrease the car ratio. But I've noticed that too. Will be done.
12. Oops, misplaced. It worked perfectly before, but I had to clone it, and looks like I've misplaced it. Will be done.
13. Orly? Well you're right, will be replaced.
14. Aww I tought that's in a perfect place for secrets like that, I mean going on a roof, see rocket launcher, you're like "AWW GREAT", then you go further you're like "WAAAAAAAA I DIDN'T EXPECT DAT!! COOL!!"
15. Yup, the idea was stolen from San Andreas :>.
16. Greait spot, it was made back in 0.1 (if that's what i'm thinking about). Will be done.
17. Well, if I can get there with a GT-A1, I'll make some secrets there too.
18. Thanks! ;)

Well that's all I'm glad that there is someone who's not mainly looking for bugs :).
To Pyro: The road stripes won't be done. Too much work. And at my country, some of the roads are like that. ;)

Another new:
I've designed Silverton Island in Canyons district when I was at my grandparents:
i come here sometimes
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Palmont City at (208,52) I fell through the stairs while driving. Twice.

I like how you make pavements different widths. The start location was actually quite detailed and compact, too. Traffic through the Scientist Factory was a neat touch. The fences need proper fence tops to be easily visible from above.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@Ben
wow thanks for reporting didnt notice that one ;).fences will be more detailed too. now almost all known bugs are fixed for palmont i think ill release silverton too just for testing, but keep looking :)
i come here sometimes