vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by elypter »

i don't know if this has already been suggested: if you have a remote car and destroy it in multiplayer you will loose a frag. that should not happen. it makes the whole idea of an remote car quite useless.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

elypter wrote:i don't know if this has already been suggested: if you have a remote car and destroy it in multiplayer you will loose a frag. that should not happen. it makes the whole idea of an remote car quite useless.
I dunno. I think it should be optional. E.g. it's used to good effect in DAFE's Death Valley- if there wasn't some risk to using the remote cars everyone would be there all the time. We'd have to see how to make it optional... a similar trick to WFCTP?
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

yes but atm it's not really useful. if the car gets destroyed you loose a frag. if it were a noraml car you had the choice to get out ......wait...... how about making enter end the remote control session?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Would it be possible for the shotgun's default firing rate to be reprogrammed to be as fast as the shotgun with fast reload? It'd definately make the weapon more useful.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Should be possible. I'll make it a checkbox in the lobby as I'm working on them soon.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Play a level where you can grab Fast Reload and Shotgun together, if you want that. Please don't change firing rates and other fundamental gameplay properties - these will unbalance some levels.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Yeah I know, hence making it optional with a lobby checkbox.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

IF you can make it optional, why not make all weapons configurable in an .ini file? :D
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

or via script commands :mrgreen:
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Please don't waste time on shit like that.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

i think its good idea.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

how about a poll on features? so vike can see what people what is wished the most.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

BenMillard wrote:Please don't waste time on shit like that.
Umad Ben? ;)

I said I'd make it optional because I'm also going to do lobby checkboxes for a bunch of other stuff. It'd just be convenient to do it at the same time, won't take me long. Adding an ini file would :P
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I think my only concern is that if its possible to make weapons 2x faster by modifying the game directly and then pick up a fast reload, you'd end up with 4x speed lol.

Optional is good, but I imagine you'd need to re-make/design the lobby screen so that it will show the new information, could even have an option below the game speed button for a "weapon speed" slider with normal (current speed) or fast (2x speed). Not sure how it'd effect weapons like the flamer and electro-gun but it doesn't matter for those I imagine.

Wonder what is easier - my idea of being able to give players powerups like fast reload, armour, health, double damage directly (using something like GIVE_WEAPON (p1, COLLECT_35)) or modifying actual game file(s) and make an INI?
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Fixing the various limitations of GIVE_WEAPON would not alter the gameplay on existing levels. (As suggested there in February 2010, first page of this topic.)

It would allow new levels (and updated scripts) to balance their gameplay better. And do so more neatly than current work-arounds, such as the weapon pickups beneath respawning vehicles in my TRON levels.

That's the sort of thing I'd very much like Vike to waste his time on!

Similar to how he fixed ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN so Army Base could use real army instead of faking it with a gang. This also enabled city-wide army in any levels which later chose to increase the maximum police wanted level. It didn't break any existing levels; in fact it fixed several of the multiplayer level R* included with the game.

Compared to that, turning the game lobby into a mess of tickboxes is a shit idea. It would end up like the Debug tab of GTA2 Manager, with every game having random weird gameplay effects which the host chooses in order to disadvantage the joiners.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Could we at least get a portable water cannon? ;-)
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Devastator wrote:Could we at least get a portable water cannon? ;-)
As a replacement to the defunct "microwave" weapon (which crashes GTA2) might be fun, but little more than that and wouldn't be too useful overall.

Same can be said about the other missing pickups (COLLECT_11 through to COLLECT_14 and COLLECT_24 through to COLLECT_27), would be nice to see some sort of use for them in future.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

The eletro-baton could possibly be tweaked. If you look in the .sty files, there's three different bullet colors; red(player), orange(opponents), & an unused purple bullet, which I assume was for the electro-baton.
Maybe it could be fixed to work on ped types along with players, & presuming it wouldn't break balance, the electric part of the weapons attack could kill opponents, but taking 3 or 4 times as long as the electrogun's stream to fry them.

EDIT:
Pyro wrote:As a replacement to the defunct "microwave" weapon (which crashes GTA2) might be fun, but little more than that and wouldn't be too useful overall.
Pinning foes against walls & hosing them off of buildings & into bodies of water would be plenty fun. I could also see it being useful in cramped quarters.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:and wouldn't be too useful overall.
I can think of tons of fun things with it! First that came up in my mind is to stop a player from firing (if gta2 even does that when you throw water at the flaming guys?). The biggest thing i miss in GTA2 from GTA1 is the ability to go in water and stop me from firing. Devastator told the rest of fun things already :)
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Pyro wrote:Same can be said about the other missing pickups (COLLECT_11 through to COLLECT_14 and COLLECT_24 through to COLLECT_27), would be nice to see some sort of use for them in future.
The possability of eight new weapons in GTA2 is an exciting idea. My only wonder is what Rockstar had originally intended those weapons to be.

It'd be nice to see some of the character occupations completed, i.e. drones, bank robbers, criminals type 1 & 2, along with Character Bravery & Shooting skills (I've never noticed these commands to make a noticable difference). If 'Paramedic' could become a valid occupation type, that'd be nice to see as well, along with Fire Fighters having their default remap reset to the yellow cop (rather than the Ziabutsu remap).