GTA1 Cities in GTA2 with Multiplayer!

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Dec
Ped
Ped
GH nick: Maverick

Re: GTA1 Cities in GTA2 with Multiplayer!

Post by Dec »

Hello,

I came across this thread whilst searching for a mod to play GTA1 in the GTA2 engine. I'm intrigued by the amount of progress made and feel like I should offer my help, if needed of course. I have some modding experience with regards to map making using Junction 25 etc and even had a try converting GTA1 cars to GTA2 using STYed. Regarding the trams in San Andreas, would it not be more feasible to make them run back and forth on flat ground avoiding the slopes (and maybe the corners due to the turning animation, or lack of) altogether? That's if the train system can run without being looped of course!
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Thanks for your interest, Dec. Please download the mod from the first page and try it out - that will answer some of your questions.

The tram system Pyro made in San Andreas is a bit rough round the edges. At least you get a feel for what it might be like in practice. The train system in GTA2 does need to form a loop.

As no new versions of the levels have been attached, the master I released some time ago remains the newest one. To be honest I've not worked on Vice City much at all, mostly due to moving home, changing jobs and social events.

This is a good time of year to spend away from the PC! Something I often forget. :roll:
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Been a while since I've done anything to this, but I felt like going back and trying to fix the missing traffic light problem in San Andreas on the tram tracks. Glad to say I've fixed it by making bits of the tram track at junctions as road tiles then making the script change them to field tiles (using a simple CHANGE_BLOCK command and setting to field). Considering I exhausted all possibilities to try and fix this before (see my other posts) I feel this is an acceptable method of doing it.

After testing all the trains again after this, everything still works fine (the game will instantly crash if any part of the train or carriages is on a road tile before its changed back to field). I put the CHANGE_BLOCK command right at the end of the LEVELSTART and before WHILE_EXEC and quite surprised how quickly it does everything considering all the script before it and it completes everything just before the train leaves station. Glad that's another problem solved 8-)

Anyway, I've attached v1.14 to my list of changes on page 2 for anyone to look/play around with. Since v1.13 was the last one to be included in the 'Master' files, I can't remember all the changes I've done since then and now except these traffic light changes but not too many, or probably forgotten some.

Cheers for now. :-)
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Downloaded the latest master files (except San Andreas) and now finally getting started on the Manchester map :shock:

Lots of stuff to do just to make it playable! As usual I'll post updates on page 2 of this topic with my changes.
JG
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by JG »

Good to see you're still making progress, Pyro.

I've finally been able to resume London and NYC development after sorting out my computer - something hosed the Windows partition way back in early August! :x

Next update will hopefully be ready for release soon (ish) :roll:
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Thanks JG, also good to know you're still kicking about also 8-)

A question to you JG - did you actually design and make the railings for San Andreas STY? If so, I wonder if you could try designing a traffic light pole and support for London and Manchester STY (since they share the same STY anyway it can be used in both maps since it currently doesn't have any). For reference, you could take a look at San Andreas map and see the poles/supports and maybe go from there? If not, no worries as I'll try and copy the ones from San Andreas and import into London STY.

Anyway, done a lot of prep work on Manchester and will be happy to release an v1.1 very soon for multiplayer testing. As usual, all changes I've done are listed on this page.

Cheers 8-)

Edit - since I released San Andreas v1.14 and soon the new v1.1 Manchester map, hopefully these will be added to the Master Files at some point after more testing of course.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Don't create traffic light supports! That would be a major aesthetic change and wouldn't make sense for a UK location.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Manchester v1.1 been uploaded, check page 2 for link 8-)
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

OK, after a lot more changes and fixes, I've updated San Andreas to v1.15 and Manchester to v1.11, you can find it here. These are ready for next set of Master Files after Ben and I have done some heavy testing on these.

As mentioned in Manchester map changes, I've set up a train route ready but I've not changed GTA1-london.sty to have smaller collision size on the trains (or any other changes to STY for that matter) until I know for sure JG hasn't added/changed anything to London STY either. Once this is confirmed (maybe when JG releases next update for London and NYC perhaps?) and then the next batch of Master Files are up, I'll look into adding the trains then and reducing collision size in STY.

Cheers 8-)
JG
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by JG »

Pyro and BenMillard wrote: ...stuff about traffic lights...
I've tried to make traffic light poles and supports before now and they ended up looking weird or plain crappy, so it looks like we'll have to stick with floating traffic lights for the time being.
Pyro wrote: ...changes to UK STY file...
I've added some custom tiles, check your inbox for the current STY.
BenMillard wrote: ...radical changes to buildings will only be included if they are widely agreed on.
Not that these are "radical changes", but I thought it best to check before going ahead; I'm currently messing around re-Militarising the Tower of London and I'd like to move a building one block to the right to allow for easier access to the compound. In its current location it partially blocks the main entrance, which seems to be a bit of oversight from a design point of view. I'd like to change the building at (223,92) as well to to reduce it by 1 block in size vertically.

I'm also having a little problem with setting vehicle ammo to 99X; TANK and GUNJEEP ammo won't go higher than 70X, and APC ammo won't go higher than 50X. Is there any way to get around this, or is it another one of GTA2's hardcoded oddities?
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

GIVE_WEAPON has hard coded ammo limits with vehicles. You can work around it by placing a weapon powerup at the same starting location as the vehicle.

PARKED_CAR_DATA gunjeep01 = (100.0, 100.0) 9 180 GUNJEEP
OBJ_DATA jeepgun01 = ( 100.0, 100.0, 3.0) 0 COLLECT_22 25 // this will add 25 ammo

Unfortunately, it will crash if a normal vehicle picks up a jeepgun and tries to use it.

edit: just run GIVE_WEAPON twice to give 99 ammo
JG
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by JG »

...such a simple workaround, cheers Sektor. :D
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Thanks for the STY JG, I'll check it out soon :-)

As for the vehicle weapons being hard-coded as Sektor said, I personally use the GIVE_WEAPON twice, e.g.

Code: Select all

PARKED_CAR_DATA tank01 = (060.5,186.5,2.0) -1 000 TANK
LEVELSTART
GIVE_WEAPON (tank01,TANK_GUN)
GIVE_WEAPON (tank01,TANK_GUN)
Mainly use this so you don't hear things like 'Vehicle Machine Gun!' when you pick it up (does things like Tank Gun and Jeep Gun have a voice over for them? Never tried but I doubt it) but its a novel way around it 8-)

Edit - I've checked out the STY you sent me, the extra tiles look great :shock: I'll wait for you to add the final tile you mentioned before doing any work on it myself. I might also recommend you add the extra tile(s) along with your updated NYC and London maps and scripts and post here so Ben can make a new Master File set. I can then do the London train collision size before or after next set of Master Files too.
Last edited by Pyro on 09 Nov 2011, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Listen to Pyro, running GIVE_WEAPON twice is best if you want to give 99 ammo. Running GIVE_WEAPON twice will set CAR_BOMB to 1 ammo but that's a good thing. The powerup method is only required if you need to set precise ammo amounts.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Excellent! I've test with Pyro to confirm it's stable, sensible and fun. Also, Miami seems a bit more stable:
Image Image
There's just a couple of tweaks before I make the new Master version. Should be OK for this weekend.

JG, good to see you round as well. I'll review your new London style file once you make it available to me.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Updated San Andreas to v1.16 and Manchester to v1.12, changes listed as per usual 8-)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Master Version updated!

Tested all recent developments from Pyro and myself in single-player. All seemed stable, sensible and contain worthwhile changes since the previous master version. Pyro and I have tested a lot on San Andreas and Manchester in multiplayer recently.
JG
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by JG »

London 1969 - v1.2
gta1-london-v1.2.rar
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 1758 times
  • Added weapon and powerup locations from GTA London 1969 'MISSUK.INI'.
  • Added grass edging all over map (custom tiles 389-403 & 406-408).
  • Beefed up security at Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London - you want a tank, you've got to earn it!
    Changes to Tower of London:
    - No dummy peds spawn.
    - Added additional armed NPCs.
    - Positions of tanks adjusted. Tanks fire at player.
    - Additional vehicles: 6x bulletproof jeeps and 2x bulletproof pacifiers.
    - Building at (219,93) moved one block east and building at (224,93) reduced in size by 1 block.
    - Increased armygang density to 600.
    Changes to Buckingham palace:
    - No dummy peds spawn.
    - Added additional armed NPCs.
    - Tanks fire at player.
    - Increased armygang density to 750.
  • Both football stadiums are now named and have basic pitch markings and goalposts. Parts of roof also changed from 'air' to 'field' for both stadiums.
  • Added armed emergency vehicles:
    - Copcars armed with oil and SWAT vans armed with machine guns parked outside police stations.
    - Ambulances loaded with car bombs parked outside hospitals.
    - Firetrucks armed with flamethrowers parked outside fire stations are now flameproof.
  • Minor adjustments to positions of respray and bomb shops.
  • Changed tiles of blue sloped roofs around industrial areas and docks.
  • Added markings for pedestrian crossings near (137,093) (137,150) (163,150) and (143,194).
  • Corrected road markings near (203,011).
  • Area at rear of Houses of Parliament near (80,158) set to 'field'.
  • Subdivided Battersea Zone into West, Central, East.

Liberty City - v1.3
gta1-nyc-v1.3.rar
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 1660 times
  • Added weapon and powerup locations from GTA1 'MISSION.INI'
  • Changes to army bases:
    - Increased density to 600.
    - Law Island army base contains 4 tanks that fire at players.
    - Fort Law car park contains 4 bulletproof Pacifiers armed with vehicle machine guns and is guarded by armed NPCs in addition to randomly spawned Army gang members.
  • Custom 1x1 grass edge tile (no. 399, palette 0) added where appropriate.
  • Added armed parked emergency vehicles:
    - Copcars armed with oil and SWAT vans armed with machine guns outside police stations.
    - Ambulances loaded with carbombs outside hospitals.
    - Flameproof firetrucks armed with flamethrowers outside fire stations.
  • Re-enabled 'phone' objects in script - Liberty City isn't quite right without 'em! ;)
  • Enabled FIRETRUK and TOWTRUCK, LIMO1 and LIMO2 to appear on roads - must have missed those first time around. :/
  • All alleyway covers now set to 'field'.
  • Adjusted block type settings around Law Island Army Base.
  • Added sounds at nightclub locations.
  • Changed block types from 'field' to 'pavement' around (174,130) (191,181) (138,70) (129,209) (157,172) (162,170) and (134,76).
  • Changed roofs from 'air' to 'field' near (64,103) (199,227) (178,221) (150,161) (161,230) (97,63) (175,33) and (219,56).
  • Adjusted shadows near (150,233) (32,139) (242,123) and added shadow near (16,203) (161,15) and (167,8).
  • Added signposts to junctions near (207,046) and (226,54).
  • Flipped 'Grill' signs near (138,31) (245,145) and (165,174).
  • Flipped 'Fire' sign at (157,182).
  • Flipped 'Hotel' sign at (37,60).
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Looks like a great set of changes! Will try to test this week and update the Master Version with those files.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Nice changes JG. A few things though:
  • Tanks start shooting you from an epic distance away :shock: Even at level start they aim towards the player (using debug camera to see them). While it's more challenging it doesn't make too much sense, a handy work-around is having the tanks 'empty' (no driver) and then using the IS_ITEM_ONSCREEN and then adding ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN as a driver. One of the missions in BIL (3rd city) uses this method too.
  • Powerups take a good while to respawn. You've set the min and max delay to 1500 each, but for multiplayer you might want to drop that down a bit so its long enough to not camp at a spot and short enough to come back to. Granted there are lots to choose from but worth mentioning. Also most of them have default amount of ammo rather than 99 apart from obvious ones like oil and vehicle machine guns.
  • The molotov guards in London map at the Tower of London are really hard to hit properly, the best you can manage is molotov-spam near the platform they stand on to try and knock them off, all the while you are trying not to get pasted by the army guys :P Usually safer to kill tank driver but end up taking a few hits resulting in a damaged tank. Not as bad as Vice City was with Mission Impossible army base ;-)
  • Interesting tank layout in NYC on Law Island, seems any tank can see the other three and cover-fire. Again, this usually ends up with heavily damaged tank or even wrecked ones.
  • Nice new tiles in London STY, does this mean it is safe for me to work on it now? Planning to modify the train collision size as I explained before and recently thought about making parking bay lines on the tarmac tiles for football stadium(s) to make them far less boring.
  • Having never worked with GTA1 mission.ini, what bits of code did you look up for the spots for weapon/powerup generators? Any method to which powerups you placed in different spots or just random? I still need to do this with San Andreas and Manchester.
Cheers for now 8-)

PS - were the stadiums in London really called Painfield Stadium and The Old Toilet in GTA1 London? Lol if they were.