GTA2 Game Hunter

BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: GTA2 Game Hunter

Post by BenMillard »

I've made some changes to the version Sektor let me play with. Have sent the code to him, here's how it looks:

Create Game
  • Maps list has focus when Create Game starts.
  • Focus order updated and corrected.
  • Slightly reduced size of left-hand controls.
  • Maps list matches width of first column.
  • Made an Options frame so top row has 3 frames.
  • Checkboxes moved to Options frame.
  • Filter maps frame renamed Find a Map. (Search or something might be better?)
  • Find a Map moved to leftmost position, aligned with Maps list.
  • Tabbing order set so Find a Map is just before Maps list.
  • Always uses the Unique mode to list maps. (Sektor's automatic mode is all we'll need.)
  • Unique mode now shows 1-player versions, for Play Alone training.
  • Filter frame matches width of Maps list.
  • Options frame sits top-right, constant width.
  • Lock Game stretches to fill the remaining space.
  • Controls are automatically resized when you search, Refresh or select a map.
Autosizing ListViews
  • Created modSizeLV to house re-usable sizing code.
  • Individual forms can wrap its AutoSizeLV function in other code to do any bespoke stuff.
Player Status
  • Clicking your own name now toggles your /away status.
Chat History
  • Alert words now use the /me colour.
(EDIT) My refinements to this window are now pretty much done! A few things which may still be worth doing:
  • Do stuff on _MouseDown() for the Tabs and lists in main window.
  • Shorter column headers.
  • Resize when vertical scrollbar is shown or hidden.
  • Moving the constant stuff to design-time.
  • Use an Enum to replace column numbers with named constants. (Might be worthwhile throughout GH?)
  • Search, update and stuff by using .Key or .FindItem instead of looping and string matching?
(EDIT2) Managing focus in the main window might be the next thing I do as it still feels a bit flaky.
Last edited by BenMillard on 12 Dec 2010, 15:08, edited 10 times in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

The groupboxes and layout looks to make more sense now. :)

Password: train

Hmmm...interesting, better than 1234 :lol:
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger
GH nick: Shrooblord

Post by Shrooblord »

I have a little problem after I patch my game up to 11.41: the music (for example, Menu music, car radio music) doesn't play anymore. Is there any way to get this back? I love most of the car radio songs. The 'music' slider in the manager is max (so is the sound one), so that's not it. I have Windows XP, by the way.
Thanks,
Shrooblord
Shrooblord is here and ready to mod, map and go mad with GTA2!
I applaud TradeMark for the GTA2 Map Editor!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

If you updated from the CD version then you'll need to copy the music to the hard drive to make it play (I'm not exactly sure which folder) or you can download the http://rockstargames.com/classics version, install the update on that and music should play.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Music in GTA2 multiplayer works, like Sektor said. The folder is ...\gta2\data\GTAudio\ - please put further discussion about it in that thread, not this one.

(EDIT) Sektor started reviewing the version I sent. Here's our discussion, cut down a lot and formatted a bit.
BenMillard and Sektor (gta2ghbot) in Game Hunter wrote:<gta2ghbot> Error resizing host window: Invalid property value - Line: 0
<gta2ghbot> that happens on the version of GHBM you just sent when I try to make the create game window minimum width
<gta2ghbot> actually happens on any attempt to resize it
<gta2ghbot> no errors when resizing maps that don't have an image
<gta2ghbot> Lock game frame needs a minimum width. It might be better with fixed width of around 2200, removing the password label and changing the Lock game label to Password protect game:
<BenMillard> can't be fixed width because Filter must align with maps list
<BenMillard> moving Password into the frame header would match the search form a bit better
<BenMillard> kinda curious arrangement though
<gta2ghbot> why does filter have to align with maps list? the minimum width of the create game window would have to be larger then to always fit the 3 frames
<BenMillard> that alignment makes the relationship between the search box and maps list clearer
<BenMillard> if the min width constraints meant the search frame couldn't align with the maps list in the current window width, the alignment could be broken
<BenMillard> but that's messy
<BenMillard> less messy than an error message though :)
<gta2ghbot> unique filters out maps with playercount = 1
<BenMillard> ah, I think those should be listed for Play Alone training
<BenMillard> 1P levels are very handy for racing scripts where the author used a different SCR per player count
<BenMillard> do you like Alert Words appearing in the /me color? I know I do. :-)
<gta2ghbot> alert word is fine as /me color, it just means your name won't stand out in a /me msg
<BenMillard> not sure why focus management is broken again, or how you fixed it last time
<gta2ghbot> not sure what you mean by focus management
<BenMillard> when you move between tabs, focus isn't put into the chat box any more
<BenMillard> and when you right-click names it doesn't go back, etc
(EDIT2) Noticed old versions of GH give this message when attempting to Sign In:
The channel key has changed. Check http://GTAMP.com for updates.
"Channel key" is obscure jargon, that URL isn't the right place and it doesn't actually mention what needs to be updated. I suggest this:
GTA2 Game Hunter has changed. Get the newest version here: http://gtamp.com/gh
...assuming that URL shortcut will be maintained for at least 5 years.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It's about 10 days after those changes and it's proving stable for me. What do I/we need to fix for it to become the next public release?

I was using the public GH at home this weekend. It felt pretty klunky now I've gotten used to the BM version!
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

BenMillard wrote:Noticed old versions of GH give this message when attempting to Sign In:
The channel key has changed. Check http://GTAMP.com for updates.
"Channel key" is obscure jargon, that URL isn't the right place and it doesn't actually mention what needs to be updated.
I changed that message in v1.512 to "You need to update to the latest Game Hunter: http://gtamp.com/gh".
BenMillard wrote:I was using the public GH at home this weekend. It felt pretty klunky now I've gotten used to the BM version!
Did that really need an exclamation mark? I was just taking a break! Respect is everything :)

Some changes that need to be made to your version, the password box needs a minimum width, the password label needs to be removed since it takes too much space and the resizing error needs to be prevented. If the minimum width of the whole form isn't increased then the "Find this map" textbox needs to be made smaller when the form width is not large enough to fit the map name + password box + settings box.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

NO REST FOR THE WICKED. :twisted:

I can work on that sizing logic and UI simplification this weekend, most likely.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I just learned about mercurial for version control. Looks to me to work very nice and handy. Setting up was easy. Do you guys also use some version control system for GH or?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

We don't use anything and I have run into issues having to manually migrate changes from one version to another and consequently don't like to work on GH when Ben is working on it. I've never used any version control systems. http://github.com seems to be popular these days.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:We don't use anything and I have run into issues having to manually migrate changes from one version to another and consequently don't like to work on GH when Ben is working on it. I've never used any version control systems. http://github.com seems to be popular these days.
I read on some websites with programming advise that a version control system is a must, even if your alone. You are with two. ;)

//for git you need to pay, right? mercurial is free and with toirtoisehg you get a nice windows GUI.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I've used Subversion via TortoiseSVN for building websites in teams. These systems can take quite a bit of setup, or even require a web server.

This weekends looks possible for me to finish my Create Game sizing logic. Sektor can then review and revise however he likes, without me making further tweaks.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Would the filter/search be less clunky if it only filtered the list after you pushed enter? I like realtime filtering but the way I'm doing it seems a bit sluggish.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Here filtering works nice/smooth. What is clunky?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

There is flicker as the list is updated and a slight delay before each letter appears, nothing important.

http://api.hostip.info/country.php is very incomplete. I will get the country from another site and allow anyone to override it by typing @geoip yourname. It will change to whatever Sally the bot thinks it should be.

Passworded games are broken in v1.514, so you'll have to host unlocked games until I fix that.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2010-11-13 v1.515
- Passworded games can now be joined
- Clicking your own name now toggles your /away status.

Changes to the Create Game form:
- Maps list has focus when Create Game starts.
- Focus order updated and corrected.
- Slightly reduced size of left-hand controls.
- Maps list matches width of first column.
- Made an Options frame so top row has 3 frames.
- Checkboxes moved to Options frame.
- Filter maps frame renamed Find a Map. (Search or something might be better?)
- Find a Map moved to leftmost position, aligned with Maps list.
- Tabbing order set so Find a Map is just before Maps list.
- Always uses the Unique mode to list maps.
- Filter frame matches width of Maps list.
- Options and password frame sit top-right, constant width.
- Controls are automatically resized when you search, Refresh or select a map.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Cool, a new update. :)
Always uses the Unique mode to list maps.
Uh, what does that mean? I do notice that I can't hide all the 3,4,5,6 player maps, which was nice in the other version. It made the list a lot shorter. Looks like only original maps don't hide.

Will you investigate if this works? http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2970#p2970
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It only shows maps that have a unique combination of GMP, STY and SCR. All the official maps use a different SCR file for each player count, so they will be in the list 5 times. Maps that use the same SCR for 1 to 6 players will only be in the list once. I will improve it so it shows the same or a shorter list than what Trademark's editor shows.

In v1.515, if you send GH to the systray, the icon remains even after you double click on it. I'll fix that in the next version.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Ideas about Sizing Logic wrote:<BenMillard> store a minimum width for the password box
<BenMillard> and reduce the find box when there isn't space
<BenMillard> then set the form's minimum width to be the smallest we'd want the find box to get, plus the minimum for password, plus the options, plus the gaps
Temporary Solution wrote:<BenMillard> could just use the 33% Find box side of the logic
<BenMillard> like when there's no image
<BenMillard> and we can re-introduce the nice alignment of boxes and lists and images once we feel like writing it
<BenMillard> will look a bit crooked but at least it won't look broken
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I figured out why typing Dec shows DeCon Labs but typing Deco shows nothing. I just had to clear some variables on each search.