No network options/protocols?

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 that isn't covered by the other forums
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

No network options/protocols?

Post by Pyro »

I've had a strange bug recently in GTA2 when I try and launch it. When running manager-hkcu.exe there are absolutely no network protocol options to choose from anymore! :shock: Last thing I remember doing was updating GTA2 to 11.41 so naturally I rolled back to 11.40 (which I knew worked) and still nothing. In GH (latest version) it would try and join a game and then either be stuck on just "Launching GTA2" or do that and then, 1 second later, say "GTA2 ran for 1 second". As a result I can't host or join games!

Tried re-installing from the stripped GTA2 (the 17mb one) and no change, and then even re-installed the full 300Mb+ GTA2 from Rockstar website and no change at all - still nothing displayed in network options. Normal network connections on LAN in Windows works fine (otherwise I'd lose Internet connection and not be able to access my router!) and all is fine there.

Not sure what's going on here, any suggestions? Any sneaky registry keys or something I need to be aware of?

Oh, and here's what my network options looks like (which is not a lot) using manager-hkcu.exe:
gta2-network.jpg
gta2-network.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Thanks!

PS - single player works just fine.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: No network options/protocols?

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Perhaps firewall?

manager-hkcu.exe is old, from what I heard. Normal manager should be good (vike versions)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

It sounds like a problem with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectPlay

I've attached a .reg of what should be there. I'm using Windows 7 but hopefully the only change is the removal of IPX.
Attachments
directplay.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Thanks for the help. I checked the location of where the DirectPlay in the registry stuff should be and it's all there, including the values and are identical to the one you sent. Even then I updated it with your copy and had a look but still nothing appears in any network tab on any of the manager.exe's. Even re-installing DirectX didn't help :cry: