Map preview images for GH

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Map preview images for GH

Post by elypter »

Preview Image Pack

by Elypter

description:
This is a package of images of all gta2 maps i know which consists of images i collected from the great map sites and some that i made myself.
It will provide a preview image for all(known) maps that don't have one included and that way allow it to view a preview image in the map list of game

hunter.

credits:
-Sektor who made the most of the images from http://gtamp.com/GTA2/maps/
-Kamil who made most of the images from http://www.gta2.unl.pl/polish_ver/nmm-dm.htm and some from http://gtamp.com/GTA2/maps/
-probably some other image creators
-myself-elypter who made the missing ones
-and of cause TradeMark for his editor

Installation:
-extract to gta folder (so that the images get on the data folder) and not into the gamehunter folder
-don't overwrite existing files, since they would probably be from the author. These images are usually the better choice.

legal(about my work):
-http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
-if any one doesn't want to see their work in this project please contact me and i will take it out.

download:
http://elypter.net84.net/gta2.tk/packs.html#imagep
Attachments
Example
Example
Last edited by elypter on 31 Oct 2010, 21:34, edited 8 times in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Map previewimages for gamehunter

Post by BenMillard »

Please show a couple of thumbnails which link to the actual preview images. Then people can see what they'll get if they download.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

most of the maps are those which you also see there:
http://gtamp.com/GTA2/maps/ or http://www.gta2.unl.pl/polish_ver/nmm-dm.htm
there is no general style. I think such job would by not that worth doing anyway because that could maybe done by trademarks mapeditor (semi)automatically in the future.

anyway, this is how the preview looks in gamehunter
Attachments
preview.jpg
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

STOP DISTRIBUTING OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i understand it with the map package but these are just generated images. come on. It wouldnt have been much more work to generate them all myself than looking up the image for each individual gmp but i didn't see the point.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

You didn't make them. Don't distribute them without permission. Respect people's property.

Your opening message doesn't credit the original authors AT ALL. Furthermore, it sounds like they are new preview images "for almost every map that doesn't have one included" which is a COMPLETE LIE. The levels DO have preview images because you just ripped them off from Kamil and others and put them in a 7-Zip file!

What you are doing is so wrong in so many ways. Take these files down immediately.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

You can use the images I took with TM's editor, not sure which ones but I didn't watermark any that I took. Kamil let me use his images on my site, so I don't think he cares but best to ask him. They are watermarked, so it's not like anyone is going to steal credit for taking them and they are just screenshots.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

Ok, going to ask Kamil about this.

Ugh, it's just the thing that it annoys me spending more time for the things arround than for the actual work. Not (yet) the case but you know what i mean.

Ben, am i allowed to include a picture of one of your maps that i made myself?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

All my levels have a preview image included. Do not distribute your own since they will replace the official versions. This is another reason why your project should tread carefully; you are replacing files since previews must use the same filename.

If you take some for my levels, run them by me first. If I approve them, I'll add them to the official downloads. (So there would still be no need for you to distribute them.)

Courtesy and responsibility should be an integral part of the "actual work" you want to do. If you do this the right way, maybe your preview image pack could be cross-linked with the !maps page and Game Hunter download topic. You've got a couple of weeks' work before that happens, I'd say.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

ghetto doesn't have a preview. i attached it.
when creating the complete pack (which includes the preview images) i dont overwrite the original ones.
As for the preview pack itself i mentioned in the description not to overwrite files so this shouldn't be a problem.

Edit:
-Section deleted-
It must have been late when i misunderstood that :roll:
Attachments
ghetto.jpg
Last edited by elypter on 02 Aug 2010, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Oh, you're right about Ghetto! I've updated the package.

Good to see some credits and better description are now in your first message.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

Ok, i got Kamil's permission now.
i did a bit fine tuning and a readme.

I hope you agree now that it is ok to release it now.
take a look at it and say if its ok that way.
http://elypter.net84.net/gta2.tk/packs/ ... agepack.7z

Edit:
since nobody seems to have a problem with it i make it official now
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Seems to be a better arrangement now. Would be worth moving a sample up to your 1st message, so people can see what these actually are.

Does this mean the package includes images for all the original levels, too? (Not time to check it myself right now.)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

done
and yes, there are images for all original maps included too.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Map preview images for GH

Post by BenMillard »

Download link is broken. Please fix it and move nearer the start of the first message.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

renewed the link. it should be working again.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It downloaded on my second try, when I changed the name it was saving as. Wouldn't have worked if I extracted it to GTA2\data because you have a folder structure inside the archive!

Images I already had:
  • illmp.jpg - identical file.
  • mp1-comp.jpg - different. Might have taken it myself.
  • ghetto.jpg - different. MultiSlayer has included one for some months.
  • epza.jpg - different. PZA has included one for some months, when I lowered and re-textured it.)
  • light headed 3.jpg - identical file.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:It downloaded on my second try, when I changed the name it was saving as.
Thats strange. Other people had download problems too but i never have even on other pcs. what did you do exactly to make it work?
BenMillard wrote: Wouldn't have worked if I extracted it to GTA2\data because you have a folder structure inside the archive!
all my packages have the gta2 folder as root. It's because some packs also include game files and because i put readmes and some other stuff in the folder "extras"
BenMillard wrote: Images I already had:
  • illmp.jpg - identical file.
    ->did not find it in my map pack
  • mp1-comp.jpg - different. Might have taken it myself.
  • ghetto.jpg - different. MultiSlayer has included one for some months.
    ->forgot to delete it
  • epza.jpg - different. PZA has included one for some months, when I lowered and re-textured it.)
    ->the one in the image_pakx is older but has higher resolution (i will take it out though)
  • light headed 3.jpg - identical file.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Those files are definitely in there. I used the link in the first message, 26.8 MB (28,200,433 bytes).

Normal click and save failed. Right-click, Save Link As, then using a different name (adding -t2 to the end) worked.

That folder structure is unhelpful - as you've said yourself! User needs to put them in data folder so that's the natural place to Extract to.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:Those files are definitely in there. I used the link in the first message, 26.8 MB (28,200,433 bytes).
yes, they are in the image_pakx but not in the map packs which are made of the newest original map downloads. that's why i included them.

BenMillard wrote: Normal click and save failed. Right-click, Save Link As, then using a different name (adding -t2 to the end) worked.
hmmm... could it be that maybe only failed on the first try? i cannot imagine how the filename on the disk have any effect.
BenMillard wrote: That folder structure is unhelpful - as you've said yourself! User needs to put them in data folder so that's the natural place to Extract to.
yes i know about the map archive structure. i took this in consideration even before i posted this there on the forum.
I wanted to make all packs consistent. I have packs that do not belong into the data folder at all for example (jed_pakx, media_pakx) and i have packs that have files for multiple subfolders inside the gta directory. It is easier to manage with the php script that generates all this and it is easier for the user, especially when using more than one of this packs. Every pack can be extracted to the same folder without generating duplicates or messing up something.

don't look at this like a huge map archive but as an incremental gta2 folder addon.
btw there is also a "all in one" pack. everything is already included. you only need to extract the file and make a shortcut to your desktop and you have everything you need to be able to play gta online.

online_pakx
complete_pakx
yur sa'nok ngeyä