Unreal Tournament 4: GTA2 edition

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
ArtVandelay
Jaywalker
Jaywalker
GH nick: ArtVandelay

Unreal Tournament 4: GTA2 edition

Post by ArtVandelay »

Hello all! I'm currently creating a deathmatch level on Unreal Tournament 4 with the "Downtown" level on GTA2 as my focus. More specifically the church area you start off at (since GTA2's entire map would be wayyyy too big for a deathmatch). Still a work in progress. I'm kinda giving it a bit of an update with new trees, lights, fencing, trash litter, and whatnot. I"m still brainstorming where to put all of the UT stuff like jump pads, weapon placements (i'll likely replicate where weapon pickups are on GTA2 for that area) and the power ups. Would love any feedback or suggestions :)
Attachments
HighresScreenshot00016.png
ScreenShot00025.png
HighresScreenshot00015.png
ScreenShot00024.png
ScreenShot00026.png
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Unreal Tournament 4: GTA2 edition

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Cool! I think a night version will also give a nice vibe. JESUS SAVES bright into the night with a hidden weapon/power-up behind the neon lights.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
ArtVandelay
Jaywalker
Jaywalker

Post by ArtVandelay »

I was actually thinking about switching it to nighttime. Also I've redone the "Jesus saves" sign :)
Attachments
IMG_9590.PNG
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

No offense dude. Unreal content does not really match the style of GTA2. Now if you were to imitate the camera and all objects making them like GTA2 then it was cool.
ArtVandelay
Jaywalker
Jaywalker

Post by ArtVandelay »

Personal preference I suppose. I personally enjoy experiencing the world of GTA2 with a partially updated approach. And as far the camera thing. This level is being created as a deathmatch level for Unreal Tournament 4. Which is a first person game. So I can't just change the camera view. I'm not trying to do anything groundbreaking here. Just a simple throwback level for the world of Unreal Tournament :)
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

ArtVandelay wrote:Personal preference I suppose. I personally enjoy experiencing the world of GTA2 with a partially updated approach. And as far the camera thing. This level is being created as a deathmatch level for Unreal Tournament 4. Which is a first person game. So I can't just change the camera view. I'm not trying to do anything groundbreaking here. Just a simple throwback level for the world of Unreal Tournament :)
GTA2 and the word innovation are not comparable. I do not blame you. But fans of GTA2, which in the majority gathered on this site - it's old fans appreciating the game for its canonicity and unchanged structure (from the camera, ending with the management of transport). You certainly do not have to repeat all the games, but if you do this you will see a great reaction from the fans of GTA2.
ArtVandelay
Jaywalker
Jaywalker

Post by ArtVandelay »

Everyone's different. GTA2 was the first Grand theft auto game I played so I'm certainly not new to it. I'm not skilled with game design. I just have a rudimentary knowledge of level design using Unreal Engine and thought a solid first level to create for Unreal Tournament 4 would be a throwback area from GTA2. I had some issues when I imported the map with lightpoles, signs, trees and other original GTA2 objects so I simply deleted them and figured I'd replace them with content I've already purchased from the Unreal Engine marketplace. If anyone on here seriously has an issue with that, I'll simply laugh it off and continue on with the level. Hell I even have sound cues using the original game sounds like the church music for when you're near the church, the phone ringing and even a secret area packed full of ammo and power ups and the "redeemer" ( a giant rocket launcher ) that triggers the "kill frenzy" sound clip when you enter it.
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Yes, the entire gameplay usually starts with the first game. I here for example started with nitendo Battle city 1990s. I started doing under android but canceled the project due to lack of time. And then everything decided that this project is unpromising because everything is taken from another game and this copyright and the like to sell such a game will not be possible. So I ended up with tanks from a third-party game. But i like modmaking his free.
Attachments
screen2.png
ArtVandelay
Jaywalker
Jaywalker

Post by ArtVandelay »

Logofero wrote:Yes, the entire gameplay usually starts with the first game. I here for example started with nitendo Battle city 1990s. I started doing under android but canceled the project due to lack of time. And then everything decided that this project is unpromising because everything is taken from another game and this copyright and the like to sell such a game will not be possible. So I ended up with tanks from a third-party game. But i like modmaking his free.
I'm honestly not sure how this response is relevant to what I previously said. But I appreciate the feedback. I'm certainly open to any feedback or suggestions. Keep in mind I'm not trying to remaster the original game though. So I honestly don't care much for wether or not I'm sticking to what people feel "fits" with the style of GTA2. It's simply a deathmatch map created for Unreal Tournament 4 exclusively. Just a nostalgic throwback level to break up the monotony of content that's usually submitted to that game. I figured anyone who's familiar with GTA2 would appreciate the effort.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

its just an homage to gta2 not a replacement or makeover of of any kind. just like my portal map for gta2 is not a remake of portal.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

elypter wrote:its just an homage to gta2 not a replacement or makeover of of any kind. just like my portal map for gta2 is not a remake of portal.
This is why I wrote: "if you do this you will see a great reaction from the fans of GTA2".
I would place respect for this work. But instead I see nothing but pampering with the resources of Unreal and GTA2 nothing more. You can not support me. But you would have fooled yourself if this guy had made GTA2 on the Unreal4 engine and would not have written that he said it was not for a remake. Just a 100% multiple of the other would be a reaction. After all. Not one of the dared to OpenGTA did not finish its project to the end. And during this time, ude so many of the engines came. You just think about it and catch up with what I meant above under the words "Canon and style of GTA2".

PS: I also do not encourage you to make a remake. This is my debatable opinion. I think everyone should be able to do what he likes.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I think it is good to mix different games (genre, gameplay etc). It is a good way to get fresh new ideas.
Perhaps it will also mix different audiences like unreal tournament players who try mods like this one and want to play GTA2 again.

Don't let Logofero's different vision be the reason to end the project.

After all that, I must say I prefer the old Jesus Saves. Something with the font and old dim colours makes it really feel like GTA2.

The graveyard might be a good idea for spawning zombies or for a zombie level. Or are zombies sooo 2010?
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Cuban-Pete wrote:I think it is good to mix different games (genre, gameplay etc). It is a good way to get fresh new ideas.
Perhaps it will also mix different audiences like unreal tournament players who try mods like this one and want to play GTA2 again.

Don't let Logofero's different vision be the reason to end the project.

After all that, I must say I prefer the old Jesus Saves. Something with the font and old dim colours makes it really feel like GTA2.

The graveyard might be a good idea for spawning zombies or for a zombie level. Or are zombies sooo 2010?
All would be so if you yourself believed in what you write. Supporting a person in a false faith can throw him into oblivion.

In fact, a bad tendency to set up to listen only to your point of view. I did not write, did not ask, did not tell him to do what I think is right. So you also refrain from talking about someone else's opinion badly.

But if you were really interested in the project (map), it would have written about it to my post and not the author claimed in his power, after my comments. All the pizza you set out against me.

As Stive Jobs would say about this work: - "This is full of shit, remake!" this is my opinion no one can argue with.
Last edited by Logofero on 19 Jan 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

i really dont get where all the hostility and the implied implications in this thread come from. Logofero, nobody is fighting you. You posted a quite strong and surprising opinion that nobody understood. people disagreed and you felt offended. if you you want to share your view, may it be direct criticism or an abstract philosophy, then try to explain it more clearly but please do not start a fight in a thread where someone publishes a new project.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: _L1pE_

Post by _L1pE_ »

I don't play UT4, but I can always appreciate a good homage, well done.
ArtVandelay wrote:a secret area packed full of ammo and power ups and the "redeemer" ( a giant rocket launcher ) that triggers the "kill frenzy" sound clip when you enter it.
Ha, nice, I like that, sounds fitting.

Also, personally, while I think it'd be better if the map could look as close to the original as possible for the sake of consistency, I think having some of UT4 look mixed in isn't that bad since you'll need to have the UT4 guns, characters, etc. anyway.
Let's go for a joyride