Wander Over Yonder art thing with GTA 2 map and cars

_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: _L1pE_

Wander Over Yonder art thing with GTA 2 map and cars

Post by _L1pE_ »

Used some GTA2 editors to make this art thing of one of my favorite cartoons, Wander Over Yonder:

screencap that was recreated:

More details in the DeviantArt page: http://xl1pex.deviantart.com/art/Wander ... -605465845
Let's go for a joyride
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Wander Over Yonder art thing with GTA 2 map and cars

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Looks nice. I like this GTA 2 art stuff. More is welcome! :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by _L1pE_ »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Looks nice. I like this GTA 2 art stuff. More is welcome! :)
Thanks. I do plan to do at least one more eventually, though that might take a while, I procrastinate too much :P
Let's go for a joyride
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

I like it. If I was doing that, I would get bored editing manually and would end up writing an automated image converter but it wouldn't be as good.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Epic! :D
Did you use Epic GTA2 Map Editor and mini-car setting for the small cars?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Crazy precision must say. :o
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by _L1pE_ »

Sektor wrote:I like it. If I was doing that, I would get bored editing manually and would end up writing an automated image converter but it wouldn't be as good.
Glad you like it. And a GTA 2 car mosaic image converter would be quite an interesting thing.
T.M. wrote:Epic! :D
Indeed I did, as well as a few other things. As I said in the OP, all the details are in the DA page: http://xl1pex.deviantart.com/art/Wander ... -605465845
Though I suppose I can just copy-paste the extra details here.
After having read this post: I wanted to do some art thing towards the cause of saving WOY from ending so soon when it had so much more to offer. Since I'm not really a good drawer, and I had some experience with mapping in GTA 2, I got the idea to try to do this car mosaic-ish thing in a GTA 2 map, using the map itself as the background.
-
Used the default GTA2 Map Editor (tuned by TM and BenMillard) to make the background, it's real basic, best I could do with the big tiles of GTA2 with the size I decided to do it in. Main point of the pic is the vehicle "mosaic". I used GTA2 ScriptPad to spawn the vehicles, most are default size but I also used some "mini-cars" (a function of the script that makes vehicles half size, presumably to be used as RC cars) to make some smaller details, wanted to avoid doing that but just had to for some parts, like most of Wander, he's too smol. Used Epic GTA2 Map Editor to move and place the vehicles properly and to take the final screenshot. I also used a program called Peek Through to overlay the map editor screen on the original pic so I could make it more accurate. 281 vehicles in total.
Also, cool GIF image comparison you did there, TM, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. :) You may notice that the background is a bit lower than it should be, that's because I had decided to do slopes for the ground, and having the vehicles be over that made it so they went partway through it in the Epic editor, I would have to raise the vehicles to fix it, but that would have made them appear larger than they should be and I didn't want that, so instead I simply decided to place Wander and Sylvia higher, right over the "line" of the ground.
Let's go for a joyride
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I forgot about the tuning we did for GTA2 Map Editor. Have you used Sektor's tile picker? It's a tool window you can float over the top of the editor, or place on a separate screen. Tile Selektor we ended up calling it.

Cool to see GTA2 and these tools being used creatively.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

_L1pE_ wrote:
T.M. wrote:Epic! :D
Indeed I did, as well as a few other things. As I said in the OP, all the details are in the DA page: http://xl1pex.deviantart.com/art/Wander ... -605465845
Ah damn, i missed that part completely! As an excuse, I might have been too busy making the comparison pic :D
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by _L1pE_ »

BenMillard wrote:I forgot about the tuning we did for GTA2 Map Editor. Have you used Sektor's tile picker? It's a tool window you can float over the top of the editor, or place on a separate screen. Tile Selektor we ended up calling it.

Cool to see GTA2 and these tools being used creatively.
I actually did, just forgot to list it, guess cause I pretty much always start up the default editor with Tile Selektor and kinda forgot it was a separate program. I'll edit it in the DA desc.
Let's go for a joyride
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

this reminds me of an old kids tv show that existed in uk and germany called Art Attack. sometimes they made pictures by positioning things on the ground.

yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I remember that show! Used to watch it with my sister after school.

"Try it yourself."

We never did.