Transcribing Lo-Fi FM Radio Station

Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Transcribing Lo-Fi FM Radio Station

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I'm really curious what the DJ says on Lo-Fi FM, but since I'm not a native English speaker, I'm having a hard time following him. He sounds a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger, is he supposed to sound like that? What for "character" or "voice" is he actually doing?

Here is the first part. Everything that is underlined is what I don't understand or can't make clear:
"Cut to yourself some musical vibe, turn on tune in, drop out with Lo-Fi. Beeeh."
"I tell you, I was trembling in the hills over the weekend when somebody stole my car.
"Well it wasn't really my car, cause I don't drive, but somebody stole the car electric jeans might."
"So anyway, I'm rambling the I was head paper truck... can you believe it, one minute in deeply breathing the fresh air of meditation and the next I'm hospital with a broken arm comprosprac bloody isn't your head..."
"Know this one if you don't..."
If somebody would be so kind to listen to the radio station and give corrections on the text, that would be awesome!
Here is the soundtrack on youtube (not my account):
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Transcribing Lo-Fi FM Radio Station

Post by BenMillard »

He is Welsh! Pyro would be the man to ask. It's not easy, so here is what I hear.
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "[Get?] yourself some music [all by?]: turn on, tune in, drop out with Lo-Fi. Beeeh."
  2. "I tell you, I was rambling in the hills over the weekend because somebody stole my car."
  3. "Well, it wasn't really my car, 'cause I don't drive. But somebody stole the car I like to dream was mine."
  4. "So anyway, I'm rambling, and then I was hit by a pickup truck. Can you believe it? One minute I'm deeply breathing in the fresh air of meditation - and the next I'm hospital with a broken arm, compound fractures and a bloody sore head!"
  5. "Hum this one if you know it."
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Ah, Welsh. I'm curious if Pyro can understand more of it.
Oh my god, you might be right on line 3: "I like to dream it was mine". Awesome how much the guy can say in such a short time. Line 5 also fits better now.

Thank you!

Part 2 (around 3 min 6 seconds: ):

6. "You think a broken neck would be fatal, but the surgeon assured me hospital will survive, for a little while at least!"
7. "Your worries will be a far cry, when you tune in to DJ Dai."

Part 2a - commercial (around 6 min 15 seconds: )

1. Male: "Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
2. Female: "I can not let go of your hand."
3. Male: "May I stroke the back of your neck?"
4. Female: "Uah, your hand courages. Huaah!"
5. Male: "And the bosom resurrects.
6. Female: "Ohh yes!"
7. Male: "She is impressed by the circumecu!"
8. Male: "Only circumeca implants by Zaibatsu feel and taste like the real thing."
9. Male: "Zaibatsu, look for the label and stand for nothing less."

Part 3 (around 6 min 55 seconds: )

8. "I like that one and now odd and news to the delectable and bourdisious Jill Tasker."
Last edited by Cuban-Pete on 01 Apr 2013, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

That was all english? At some part i thought they switched to german...
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Part 2:
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "You think a broken neck would be fatal, but the surgeon assured me most people survive - for a little while, at least!"
  2. "Your worries will be a far cry, when you tune in to DJ Dai."
Yes, the DJ could be called Dai. That's a Welsh abbreviation of David! So I've updated my first translations as I think that solves in Part 1, line 1.

Part 2a, spoken in fake French accents: (2a, WTF? Learn how section and subsection numbering works.)
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  3. Male: "May I stroke the nape of your neck?"
  4. Female: "Uah, your hand caresses. Huaah!"
  5. Male: "And the bosom [not sure].
  7. Male: "These implants are not Silky Milky!"
  8. Male: "Only Silky Milky implants by Zaibatsu feel and taste like the real thing."
Part 3:
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. I like that one [not sure] the news with the delectable and bodacious Jill Tasker.
Spot on! Those are rare words but you got them.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I didn't google the word 'bourdisious', but it seems to be bodacious? 'Bourdisious' doesn't exist?

Al right, last parts and then I will add it all together, al thought some commercials and songs are still missing, haha.

I'm really starting to like transcribing the radio stations because when I was younger and played this game I heard completely different stuff than what they were saying. Probably because my English hearing skills were (and are) not that decent because of subtitles in the Netherlands. But anyway, as you can see I heard something completely different for line 7 from the Zaibatsu implants commercial. In fact, it gets even worse, I remember from back in the days that this radio DJ said something like "I like this more than bourdisious" (probably part 3, line 1) and I thought he meant with the word bourdisious something like the red light district, haha, but he actually made a complement about the news reporter.

Part 4 (around 7 min 13 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "I'll be out a fraction soon enough and back at the helm of Lo-Fi FM."
  2. "There is a track coming up after this jolly record."
  3. "Hum this one if you know it."
Part 5 (around 8 min 29 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "Well the funeral director said he had never seen anyone in quite so bad a shape."
  2. "I told em, I thank my live by being a spiritual DJ."
  3. "Well, I went for pint cask, which was cheapest and a paper urn."
  4. "A few null a weeks on Thursday, so if you can make it, follow me here on Lo-Fi."
  5. "I got a selection of tracks for the judges coming up. "
  6. "Hum to this one if you know it."
  7. "Lo-Fi, it's a far cry from High-Fi."
Part 6 (around 9 min 53 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "Dalai lama here, the crowd is exited, where's us on the move?"
  2. "We are moving forward beautiful playboys, agh flooky tacky lu..."
"flooky tacky lu" ... that some sort of Welsh swearing?
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Part 4 (around 7 min 13 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "I'll be out of traction soon enough and back at the helm of Lo-Fi FM."
  2. "There is a prayer coming up after this jolly record."
Part 5 (around 8 min 29 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "Well the Funeral Director said he had never seen anyone in quite so bad a shape."
  2. "I told him, it's a rough and tumble life being a spiritual DJ."
  3. "Well, I went for a pine cask, which was cheapest and a paper urn."
  4. "The funeral's a week on Tuesday, so if you can make it, phone me here on Lo-Fi."
  5. "I got a selection of tracks for the church coming up. "
  7. "Lo-Fi, it's a far cry from hi-fi."
Part 6 (around 9 min 53 seconds: )
Lo-Fi FM wrote:
  1. "Dai Lama here, the crowd is exited, where's us on the move?"
Aha! Dai Lama is a Welsh 'spiritual DJ' whose name sounds just a bit like Dalai Lama. He died whilst rambling due to being hit by a pickup truck. So he's literally a 'spiritual DJ' in that he is now just a spirit, broadcasting posthumously to inform listeners about his upcoming funeral. (EDIT: 'Dai' also sounds like 'die'.)

Heh. Only took me 14 years to work this station out.

Wish I'd worked at DMA Design. The brainstorming meetings must've been wicked. They don't make 'em like they used to.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

OMG, yes, that explains the funeral director and the funeral next Tuesday. Haha, a Welsh dead spiritual DJ who's name "DJ Dai" is both Welsh for David and sounds like Dalai Lama.

Awesome! [sm-cry] [sm-29]

Thanks Ben!
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Lo-Fi FM (0m0) wrote:
  1. "[Get?] yourself some music [all by?]: turn on, tune in, drop out with Lo-Fi. Beeeh."
  2. "I tell you, I was rambling in the hills over the weekend because somebody stole my car."
  3. "Well, it wasn't really my car, 'cause I don't drive. But somebody stole the car I like to dream was mine."
  4. "So anyway, I'm rambling, and then I was hit by a pickup truck. Can you believe it? One minute I'm deeply breathing in the fresh air of meditation - and the next I'm hospital with a broken arm, compound fractures and a bloody sore head!"
  5. "Hum this one if you know it."
Lo-Fi FM (3m6s) wrote:
  1. "You think a broken neck would be fatal, but the surgeon assured me most people survive - for a little while, at least!"
  2. "Your worries will be a far cry, when you tune in to DJ Dai."
Lo-Fi FM (6m15s) wrote:
  3. Male: "May I stroke the nape of your neck?"
  4. Female: "Uah, your hand caresses. Huaah!"
  5. Male: "And the bosom [not sure].
  7. Male: "These implants are not Silky Milky!"
  8. Male: "Only Silky Milky implants by Zaibatsu feel and taste like the real thing."
Lo-Fi FM (6m55s) wrote:
  1. I like that one [not sure] the news with the delectable and bodacious Jill Tasker.
Lo-Fi FM (7m13s) wrote:
  1. "I'll be out of traction soon enough and back at the helm of Lo-Fi FM."
  2. "There is a prayer coming up after this jolly record."
Lo-Fi FM (8m29s wrote:
  1. "Well the Funeral Director said he had never seen anyone in quite so bad a shape."
  2. "I told him, it's a rough and tumble life being a spiritual DJ."
  3. "Well, I went for a pine cask, which was cheapest and a paper urn."
  4. "The funeral's a week on Tuesday, so if you can make it, phone me here on Lo-Fi."
  5. "I got a selection of tracks for the church coming up. "
  7. "Lo-Fi, it's a far cry from hi-fi."
Lo-Fi FM (9m53s) wrote:
  1. "Dai Lama here, the crowd is exited, where's us on the move?"

Really awesome to have it all on paper and finally know what he says, but that's some big ugly mess... It are all the sentences by the radio DJ and one commercial, the rest is still missing. I'm thinking about doing those parts also, but since I'm not that good at English it will be kinda a useless transcribing. In other words, do you want to transcribe more with me Ben? I'm also thinking about a different system, because as you can see it gets a bit messy and so less useful. I think the best would be something like a subtitle notation style that youtube also accepts and here on the forum with some good font style options to distinct between, commercials, DJ's, songs and guest speakers - with folding options!. Of course all of this would be done in small steps. Say, each day a dialogue, depending on the mood. What I'm also thinking about is explaining some of the jokes, not all jokes are clear to non native English speakers. I think a lot of the songs, commercials and word-play can be understood quit different, which makes it more interesting.

So first steps first, do you want to do more transcribing with me Ben? Yes? Let us design first a good system so this will go as comfortable as possible!
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Not something I can commit to, sorry. Just landed a 3 month contract building websites full time!
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I understand. I will just try again after three months and make the planning less demanding. :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

People did this for GTA1 extensively. GTA2 transcripts might already be out there?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I know grandtheftwiki.com has transcripts for KGBH and Futuro FM, and Gouranga! has the lyrics for Rev. Rooney & The Rocksta Choir - God Bless All The Universe, Pussywillows - Real Love and Bula Matari - Taxi Drivers (Must Die). I don't know about any Lo-Fi FM transcripts or any other, for that matter.
You just lost the game.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Gustavob wrote:I know grandtheftwiki.com has transcripts for KGBH and Futuro FM, and Gouranga! has the lyrics for Rev. Rooney & The Rocksta Choir - God Bless All The Universe, Pussywillows - Real Love and Bula Matari - Taxi Drivers (Must Die). I don't know about any Lo-Fi FM transcripts or any other, for that matter.
Thanks, hahaha, that's really awesome! Some of the lyrics are funny.

I think I will adjust the script of Lo-Fi FM in the upcoming days so it can be put on that wiki.
Well, Boris Smers was twelve today - HAPPY BIRTHDAY BORIS!! He got computer game and cake. Eh, Boris, Boris, sell the game, eat the cake.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

KGBH, where the big noise isssss...

On topic, though, I thought I might give this a try:
Lo-Fi FM wrote: Man: [Get?] yourself some music [all by?]: turn on, tune in, drop out with Lo-Fi. Beeeh.

Dai: I tell you, I was rambling in the hills over the weekend because somebody stole my car. Well, it wasn't really my car, 'cause I don't drive. But somebody stole the car I like to dream was mine. So anyway, I'm rambling, and then I was hit by a pickup truck. Can you believe it? One minute I'm deeply breathing in the fresh air of meditation - and the next I'm in the hospital with a broken arm, compound fractures and a bloody sore head!

Dai: Hum this one if you know it.

(Song: Stylus Exodus - "Toucan Pie")

Dai: "You think a broken neck would be fatal, but the surgeon assured me most people survive - for a little while, at least!

Man: Your worries will be a far cry, when you tune in to DJ Dai.

(Advertisement: DNA (Doesn't Need Anything) Food by The Zaibatsu Corporation)
[Baby crying sound]
Male: Does your baby need anything?
"Baby": [something something] indeed!
Male: You heard me! Anything?
Baby: I'm hungry!!
Male: Doesn't Need Anything is a new Zaibatsu developed baby food, designed to satiate your baby's every need! Because early entry into the Zaibatsu food program builds a better youth. DNA Food, shaping tomorrow's adults.

(Song: Bert Reid's Guitar Trio - "A Cool Day in Downtown")

(Advertisement: Silky Milky implants by The Zaibatsu Corporation)
Male: "Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Female: "I can not let go of your hand."
Male: "May I stroke the nape of your neck?"
Female: "Uah, your hand caresses. Huaah!"
Male: "And the bosom [not sure].
Female: "Ohh yes!"
Male: "These implants are not Silky Milky! Only Silky Milky implants by Zaibatsu feel and taste like the real thing. Zaibatsu, look for the label and stand for nothing less.

(Advertisement: Flipper Dolphin)
Male: Having fishing dolphin in these waters all my life, summer and winter rain and shine! And every little tuna I've caught go straight back into the big blue [something]
Male II: Flipper Dolphin is widely available in most stores!

Dai: I like that one, and now all the news with the delectable and bodacious Jill Tasker!

Jill Tasker: This is Jill Tasker with your news update!
Jill: Arcade madness hit Funabashi when the Zoo brothers opened Game Zoo, the latest gaming craze to sweep the city. Celina Ferry [?] has details right after this.

(Song: Tammy Boness and the Swingin' Mammaries - "The Diner" starts playing in the background)
Dai: I'll be out a fraction soon enough and back at the helm of Lo-Fi FM.
Dai: There is a prayer coming up after this jolly record. Hum this one if you know it.
("The Diner" now playing at full volume)

Dai: Well the Funeral Director said he had never seen anyone in quite so bad a shape. I told him, it's a rough and tumble life being a spiritual DJ. Well, I went for a pine cask, which was cheapest and a paper urn. The funeral's a week on Tuesday, so if you can make it, phone me here on Lo-Fi. I got a selection of tracks for the church coming up. Hum to this one if you know it.
Man: Lo-Fi, it's a far cry from hi-fi.

(Song: Cow Tastes Good - "Surf City" starts playing in the background)
Jill: This is Jill Tasker bringing you your weather! It's wet on the roads this evening, but the Mercury is rising, so we can all start stripping off again!
("Surf City" now playing at full volume)

(Music volume lowers, Dai starts speaking)

Dai: Dai Lama here, the crowd is excited, where's us on the move? We are moving forward, beautiful playboys, agh flooky tacky lu!
(Music playing at full volume again until the end)
On a few side notes:
  • The beginning of Stylus Exodus - "Toucan Pie" sounds like Yes - "Siberian Khatru"
  • Cow Tastes Good - "Surf City" sounds kinda like The Surfaris - "Wipeout", notice the drum pattern
  • Jill Tasker, who appears in some radio stations with the news and weather reports was voiced by real life Jill Tasker. I linked to her Wikipedia page the first time her name appeared in this transcript
  • The "Zoo Brothers" in Jill Tasker's first news update are Johnny Zoo and Danny Zoo from the Yakuza in Downtown District. They are mentioned by Teriyaki-chan in Funami FM, according to a comment on a video with the recording of the station:
    Here's me from Funami FM, iiiiit's me!! Teriyaki chan dayo~~n!! AH!! Today is so hot and so disgusting,isn't it? I'm sick of this bad weather, bad traffic and bad crime!! Shit, how the hell are they thinkin' 'bout us?? Don't Yakuza really have no idea who's enemy or not?? (*yelling something maybe in English) Johnny Zoo and Dannie Zoo are all,.. man a car crime game? Such a crappy computer game. Is this really fun?!?!
So yeah, here you see how radio stations seem to add quite a bit of content to the game.
You just lost the game.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Nice work, Gustavob!

"big blue [something]", I think he is saying "big blue wonder".

Mercury is just with a small m, I think.

"agh flooky tacky lu!" is still the worst translation ever, hahahah!
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Cuban-Pete wrote: "big blue [something]", I think he is saying "big blue wonder".
Maybe, not sure
Cuban-Pete wrote: Mercury is just with a small m, I think.
Sure, if it refers to something in the lines of "the mercury levels in the waters are rising", but not if it for some reason refers to the planet ("the planet Mercury is rising in the sky"). I don't know why would they "start stripping off again!" in either of those cases :P
Cuban-Pete wrote: "agh flooky tacky lu!" is still the worst translation ever, hahahah!
Haha yes, but that's exactly what it says until someone tells us what it says for sure :P
You just lost the game.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I thought mercury was used in old thermometers, so if the mercury is rising, the temperature is rising, meaning you got to start stripping off clothes so you don't get hot. :)
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

howdidinotthinkofthis

I know it's probably just slang, but I don't think mercury was used in ambient temperature thermometers though, only body temperature thermometers. Again, I don't doubt it was/is used as a slang.
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:I thought mercury was used in old thermometers, so if the mercury is rising, the temperature is rising, meaning you got to start stripping off clothes so you don't get hot. :)
Thats how the media calls it in Finland too, sometimes. I have never seen anyone using a mercury based thermometer, except in our chemistry classes at school.

I dont know why they used it at all, since the alchol based thermometer was invented 60 years before mercury based.