Unreal Tournament: Mazon, Coret, Fractal, Niven & Phobos

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Unreal Tournament: Mazon, Coret, Fractal, Niven & Phobos

Post by BenMillard »

Inspired by the fantastic Mazon Fortress from Unreal Tournament. Host attacks with player 4 and 5 as the blue team. Other players defend the base as the orange team.

Make sure you use 1000000 Points Game (one million) and up to 12 minutes Time Limit. You can see how much time has passed from the clock I added to HUD.

Download from this page: Unreal: Mazon Assault.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Mission for Attackers
  1. Enter the cave in the far West of the map.
  2. Enter the castle through the gatehouse.
  3. Fight across the open hall and get up the stairs.
  4. Go North and find Molotovs on a long wooden bridge.
  5. Destroy all power units beneath the bridge.
Testing and Balancing the Teams
I only started this level on Friday 14th September 2012! It works fine, no crashes and either team can win the game. Already a few players have tested it.

I'm making lots of small changes and they are helping for any amount of players:
  1. You can practice attacking: learn the layout and dropping Molotovs over the bridge at the end.
  2. 1 vs 1 plays well.
  3. 1 vs 2 is basically impossible. 2 vs 1 is also impossible due to repeated spawnkilling.
  4. 2 vs 2 plays well but is too hard for attackers at the moment.
  5. 3 vs 2 plays much better than 2 vs 3 but defenders will have a hard time.
  6. 3 vs 3 plays great when most attackers are better than most defenders.
Here are the next things I'll try:
  1. Attackers have too far to run at GTA2 speed - add a shortcut through the rocks and move weapons.
  2. Defenders who die in Gatehouse respawn ahead of attackers - death should not be an advantage!
  3. Gatehouse should be lower or narrower near Molotov, so they can't be spammed forever.
  4. Stairs leading up to Gatehouse give defenders a slope bug shooting advantage.
  5. Gatehouse 2nd corridor is too hard for attackers overall.
  6. Attackers could use Flamethrower to stop some of the corridor camping by defenders.
Please try it out, tell me how it went and share ideas.

Original Level
This was my favourite assault level so I'm making that first. Here are videos to show how attacking and defending Mazon Fortress worked in Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition:
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Unreal Tournament: Mazon Assault

Post by BenMillard »

We've done a lot of play testing and I've made many small changes. This evening I was able to win as attacker in a 2 vs 2 in about 6 minutes so the balance is getting better.

It needed a lot of dodging and a close-up punch and machine gun kill while I was on the bridge, destroying the generators. Hair-raising stuff! I had a new but good player attacking with me and we were against 2 good defenders.

Thanks to the 12 players who have tried it out with me so far. Hope you are enjoying the improvements and look forward to more!

(EDIT) Added some visual stuff like banners, decorative main gate (always closed) and different bricks for the power area. Krishna chanting coming from towers shall be in a future version.

Water sounds in the cave would be cool...maybe they would only play when someone is actually swimming in that area? Although it might be too loud for that to make sense.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Couple of screenshots, including one from an EPIC 6-player battle! 3 defenders make it nearly impossible for attackers.

But...with a couple of kamikazes and one hero (Andrej in our case) we got 6 out of 8 generators! 12 minute game against veteran Polish players (although a couple new to this level).

Image Image

Gatehouse is such a bottleneck that with 3 organised defenders, they could spam rockets down it and make the game impossible. So I've opened that area a little and we'll see how it goes. 1v1 remains extremely unforgiving of defensive errors, after 1 quick test on it.

Oh I added a bit of help text at the start and end. HUD shows everyone how many generators have been destroyed.
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

It's very nice map. I liked this. :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: DM-Fractal and CTF-Niven

Post by BenMillard »

This is now a map pack containing 2 more Unreal Tournament levels converted to GTA2.

Fractal Deathmatch
A rocket arena, spiced up by having 2 levels. Respawning players get Double Damage Shotgun - devastating at close range, just like the Flak Cannon!

Niven Capture the Flag
Twisting corridors and compact courtyards are the hallmark of this compact team game. Works as a Frag Game or set it to Points Game for fully coded Capture the Flag mode!

You get $100,000 per capture. $800,000 points limit means 8 captures to win - good settings for testing with a 20 minute time limit. (I've added a clock to the HUD so you can see how much time has passed.)

Image Image

(EDIT) Now has working Capture the Flag mode! Tested with Gouranga and we've already found several sneaky tactical tricks to help you win. Really looking forwards to the even more complex strategies of 4p and 6p games.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Re: Unreal Tournament: AS-Mazon, DM-Fractal and CTF-Niven

Post by Jones »

Reward players with high score/frags in Niven with extra items like double damage, electro gun, etc? You could place the item on him in the moment he respawns. So many frags are more welcome and it would also help in stalemates :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Awesome 4-player game just now. We played 20 minutes and 800,000 points, which means 8 captures would win.

This level is perfect for tactics, tricks and being a hero. You can also lose your flag if you make a mistake at the wrong moment. I do that a lot.

The game ran out of time before we made 8 captures, here is the score.

Yellow 7 vs 5 Green
  • Yellow: BenMillard
  • Yellow: Agent00
  • Green: Jedras
  • Green: Playboy51
Getting the Balance
2 players is seriously intense competition. 1-on-1, short range battles with a strategic element.

3 players is completely silly. The team with 2 players can split up, one of them spawnkills while the other takes flag easily.

5 players does not balance. Maybe 2 veterans versus 3 newbies because they might cause friendly fire.

6 players does balance but is so balanced nobody can capture! Maybe there is a trapping tactic that would work, like Agent and I used in the 4 player game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Just proving a score for Jedras:
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Unreal Tournament: Coret Capture the Flag

Post by BenMillard »

First tests of Coret Capture [the Flag] complete and it's playing nice right from the start! Especially 3v3 games, it has the space and multiple routes to handle the extra players.

Screenshot from a test earlier this evening:

Put it together last night and did fixes tonight. The walls will get a lot more detail. Green team will probably become blue team so I can colour-code the floor. That will happen in later months - I'm on holiday next week, skiing in France!

Au revoir!
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Unreal Tournament: Mazon, Coret, Fractal & Niven

Post by BenMillard »

Fixed invulnerability after respawn in Coret and Niven. 90 frames protects for 1 second because the respawn sequence takes ~2 seconds.

It was only set to 30 seconds before, so the invuln ended before you actually respawned.

I might make this 120 frames so you get a bit longer in Coret. Or I might respawn you on the rockets instead of the really vulnerable machine gun location...we'll see.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Unreal Tournament: DM-Phobos first test

Post by BenMillard »

A new level, briefly tested with Playboy51, built in one evening after a couple of weeks scouting locations.
Image Image

Unreal: Phobos Frags is in the main package but it's a beta test version. Currently the space around the base doesn't kill you. It's using extreme slope hacks, even more than the water you can swim in Mazon Assault's moat.

Thinking I might keep space survivable in the map and use scripting to kill you after 1 or 2 seconds exposure. This would let you jump between platforms and clamber back onto the station if pushed off just a bit. Just like original UT99.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Re: Unreal Tournament: Mazon, Coret, Fractal, Niven & Phobos

Post by Jones »

Electrogun isn't that fun on Phobos, especially so close to a spawnpoint. Maybe reducing its ammo and placing it somewhere else? Another idea for Mazon, how about opening the castle gates in last 30 seconds? So you get a last run chance :) Currently you can forget the last 30 seconds if all attackers are near start point, since it takes too long to walk all the way west.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Unreal Tournament: Mazon, Coret, Fractal, Niven & Phobos

Post by BenMillard »

OK, OK, Electrogun is gone. Shame it ignores the invulnerability you get after respawning...I can imagine how lame that must be!

Maybe I got it right the first time...that would be a first time!