10 trains getaway

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Re: 10 trains getaway

Post by Gustavob »

Do you mean how many times somebody crossed all the 24 tracks or how many times somebody got exploded?

Anyway a problem with that is that it would limit it to 4 players only (can't have more than 4 onscreen counters). Or even 3 considering there's already an onscreen timer. Or maybe there can't even be counters in case TM adds one timer for each player, which would then again limit it to 4 players
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Actually those timers will work even if you cant see them on screen, as i discovered by Sektor's help, the onscreen timer thing is just a coulisse (is that proper english btw? cant think of better word atm, bear with me lol), it doesnt do anything else than just animates the number. You need to have separate COUNTER datatype for all the checks.

So i think the Vike (note the the) could actually fix this and allow more timers/onscreencounters to be visible on screen!
Razor wrote:you will see how many times sb did it.
So this onscreen counter can hold any value in it? and it looks like the timer i have now? yeah i was thinking to make a counter like that too, but i thought it would be best if it had more precision than just side-to-side counter, so you can tell who got farthest much more precise way. Nevertheless, i like the idea of seeing how many times you had been from side-to-side :D
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

T.M. wrote:Actually those timers will work even if you cant see them on screen [...] it doesnt do anything else than just animates the number.
The problem is that newbies who would play this would get confused if their car exploded all of a sudden (time's up pal!) but they haven't hit anything:

"omfg dis map suck its bugged y the fuk did i even eksplode fuk de creator ill never play dis anymore!!!!!!!!"
You just lost the game.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Instead of on screen counters, you could use the numbered cars to display each player's score or just use add_score.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:Instead of on screen counters, you could use the numbered cars to display each player's score or just use add_score.
omg epic idea, i could start it from 9 and end to 0 and after 0 it would explode. if its higher than 9, it could still stay 9 until you have less than 9 seconds time. although, the car numbers are almost invisible at that high zoom-out levels (this map is impossible/lame to play without debug mode enabled since you cant predict the trains at all otherwise).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

displaying info on the car has potential. i already wanted to try it but didnt find u use on one of my maps so far.

would work very well here because you dont even have to modify deltas.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

You could make the trains drive at 0.100 or 0.200 by altering the train zones which change the speed. Have a look at:
Trains pull out of stations at 0.100 and they drive at 0.200 on their way into stations. If your sound acceleration is set nicely, you'll usually hear them hoot if they detect a vehicle is in their way. (Just like normal traffic can honk if you get in their way.) Peds run at 0.050 and Tank reverses at 0.049, so it never squashes them that way round.

If you had the trains going in different directions, it would feel a bit like those "animal crossing the road" arcade games.

Maybe rotating the level 90°? A 4:3 screen is a significant percentage wider than it is tall, so the visible length of each track would be longer. Bit more warning time. (You don't see as many tracks ahead of you but it probably works out better, if you keep trains at 0.400 speed.) If you haven't already, dropping the ground to the lowest level the map editor allows will give you a higher camera - it doesn't zoom in when you go below the standard ground level.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:You could make the trains drive at 0.100 or 0.200 by altering the train zones which change the speed.
Why would i want to make trains slower? then it would be too easy... good tip though; i didnt even know its possible!
BenMillard wrote:If you had the trains going in different directions, it would feel a bit like those "animal crossing the road" arcade games.
Yeah, but then again, it would be too hard to drive with a car, that could work with a ped. you would have to drive in middle of all the time to get maximum safety in that case... did you try the map yourself at all? its supposed to be played with debug mode on and almost highest zoom possible.
BenMillard wrote:Maybe rotating the level 90°? A 4:3 screen is a significant percentage wider than it is tall, so the visible length of each track would be longer. Bit more warning time.
No. as i said; you need to play with debug mode on. Its impossible/boring to play without it.
BenMillard wrote:If you haven't already, dropping the ground to the lowest level the map editor allows will give you a higher camera - it doesn't zoom in when you go below the standard ground level.
Its as low as i could make it, to make it look like an island (didnt plan it to be a map like this at first, and had no idea the altitude matters, and changing it now would be around 2-4 hours job or more because of the bugs that will cause crashes...). but as said, it doesnt matter since debug mode is how you should play it.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

aaaah, lucky me :)
traincrash_almost3_.gif
traincrash_almost3_.gif (385.93 KiB) Viewed 27291 times
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Nice animation.

This train wasn't so lucky but it could have been much worse. I've been to that train station many times.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Oh, this train wasnt lucky either:

Been at that station a lot too.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Rofl, found cool vid:

Sounds like a toy train, but i think its just speeded up sound :D

--

Why its always snowing on these train videos from finland ? :shock:
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

if trains really drove at this speed i would not wonder if you had this kind of train accident ever day in finnland :P
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Jesus Christ I almost got deafened by that high pitch on that video!

Anyway, at least your trains run in the snow over there... in the UK even one flake of snow causes total chaos on the train services... when the staff are not on strike... again! Absolutely useless in the UK when snow hits, I mean hell we get snow nearly every year around the same time and yet everything grinds to a halt :roll:
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

let me guess, your trains were privatised too in uk?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Good old Network Rail, which is actually created by the government for the actual tracks/infrastructure but has various privatised companies who operate the actual train services. Either way, they keep saying everyone should use trains instead of cars and yet they increase ticket prices and the staff go on strike nearly every week. Oh, and any leaves or tiny bit of snow on the tracks causes total chaos here. Fucking idiots I tell you. ;-)

Getting slightly off-topic here I think 8-)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

rising ticket prices, strikes, trains failing due to snow, trains often too late. all sounds familiar :lol:

do you have a Stuttgart 21 too?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
JohnTooray
Mugger
Mugger

Post by JohnTooray »

And don't forget to mention air con fails in summer :roll:
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

yeah, people almost died. air con failed and on those new trains you cant open the windows. fucking death traps.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Pyro wrote:Anyway, at least your trains run in the snow over there... in the UK even one flake of snow causes total chaos on the train services...
Same here pretty much with any public transportation system. they have problem in trains with melting the brakes at winter when theres a lot of snow. at winter the trains are always late, at least 5 mins if not 10.