DeCon King (NEW) with DeCon Labs

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

DeCon King (NEW) with DeCon Labs

Post by BenMillard »

Inspired by Lantyz's Fortress level, I've always wanted to make a "King of the Hill" or "Domination" game mode. This evening, I brainstormed with Elypter and realised DeCon Labs is perfectly suited to this!

So I've added a test version of DeCon King into the normal DeCon Labs download:

Fight your way onto the central tower and try to survive there for as long as you can. You are the "King of the Hill" when you are on this tower.
  • There's no scoring yet Player who is King of the Hill gets $1,000 every second.
  • Elypter and I played a 15-minute game and think it has potential.
  • Will be tuned in response to feedback.
  • You can shoot through the fences on stairs and rooves.
  • Some extra shortcuts from roof corners.
  • Armour is no North-West tower, Rockets on North-East tower. (Plus all the normal DeCon Labs weapons.)
  • Follows similar code structure to MultiSlayer Race.
Last edited by BenMillard on 10 Dec 2010, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: DeCon King (NEW) with DeCon Labs

Post by BenMillard »

Scoring is now done. Tested with Hannibal and it works perfectly and seems correctly balanced. 100,000 points seems a good limit, had to be "king of the hill" for about 1 minute since frags still give $2,000.

I spawn-killed him several times in a row and had over $50,000. Then he got to tower and after killing me 3 times with grenades, had around $53,000! He went on to win the game, $100,000 to $93,000!

You could set a 15 minute game limit and 1,000,000 points limit, then see who gets most points within that time. (Good for practising, I think.)
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Tried it 2 player and it was fun. It crashed twice in 4 player but it might have been lag/someone with poor PC.

Change the grey arrow to something more visible.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Glad to hear it - very early stages, so suggestions are welcome.

I've double-checked all the player numbers in the area trigger code and they are correct. So there's no obvious reason for crashes.

I've re-arranged the players, so Dark Blue and Grey are at the end. (The mission "Deconversion Evasion" is what DeCon Labs was loosely based on and features orange Krishna versus grey Zaibatsu. But the all-versus-all gameplay of DeCon King means those gangs are less important that visible player arrows.)

(EDIT) A bridge now joins all the towers, so you can attack in different ways. This adds variety and lets 3+ player games spread out a bit more. There are stairs back up from getting Fast Reload, too, so you can put a lot of rockets into the small area to help get rid of a good dodger.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I've re-packaged DeCon Labs to use a single .mmp file.

Also used TM's editor to update the screenshots and map preview images. Also added a couple of more recent gamplay shots.
Image Image Image Image

The last shot is using the 64°perspective effect. The 22.5° setting gave a really great distant shot but it only looked good at a huge size. Some judicious cropping might produce something worth posting.

Finally, the package has reduced from 216kB to just 100kB. Somewhat boring but clearly effective way to spend 2 hours!

(EDIT) Wewt, got something for the distant shot. Added to the end of the gallery. Works great for that "taken from a helicopter" or "skyscraper tourist telescope" effect :P