9/11

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).

Rate the map

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
67%
33%

Total votes: 3

Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

9/11

Post by Gustavob »

911.7z
9/11 © v2.0 by Gustavob
(68.57 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
9/11© v2.0 by Gustavob

9/11 © is a map made by Gustavob, BR

To play this map, extract all the files from the .7z file to your GTA2\data folder.

Gameplay:
Player1 (host) is the Al-Qaeda member (the terrorist)
Player2 (joiner) is the firefighter (the good 1)

Player1 must get inside the Twin Towers to plant a bomb inside them while Player2 must stop him from doing that.
If Player1 manages to get inside the Twin Towers, the bomb is auto-planted and Player2 must disarm it by standing over it for
20 seconds. If the Player2 doesnt disarm the bomb in time, that building will explode and collapse. If the Player2 disarms
the bomb, Player1 will have the chance to plant it again (I may change that). If the bomb explodes, Player1 will get
$500000 (its $500000 per bomb so you have to make it a points game set to $1000000 points limit), but if Player1 disarms it
HE will be the one who will get $500000.

Thanks to:
*Vike for fixing WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT desyncs and making it work outside cars
*Sektor for keeping an active GTA2 community with his GTA2 Game Hunter
*TradeMark for his GTA2 Map/Zone Editor and for pointing out a door trigger check-area problem
*DAFE for weapon help (weapons not spawning properly)
*Rockstar Games & DMA Design for GTA2 and ste.gmp, wich included the original version of the Fire Station at the north of
the map
*Wikipedia for air view image with original position of World Trade Center Buildings and its "neighbour" buildings
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ations.jpg)

Extra:
*This is the first GTA2 map to "homage" a disaster ("homage" is not the word, but I couldn't find any other word for that.)
*This map is the second GTA2 map with interiors.

EDIT: v2.0 released. Changelog:
  • Changed the .sty file to wil.sty (Downtown District textures) after suggested by BenMillard, with good results
  • Added bomb timers and bomb disarming timers
  • The interiors outside the mainland have been deprecated and deleted, now the roof of the towers is just removed when a player is inside them
  • Added arrows pointing to the doors and to the place-where-to-plant-the-bomb and to the bomb itself when its planted
  • Added dusk lights
  • Player order inverted, now the player can start a singleplayer game as the terrorist
  • Changed the terrorist remap to red to prevent arrow confusion
  • Added lampposts on the streets, although I guess I added too much
  • Changed the mmp file to fit the new standard by Elypter
  • Changed the bomb exploding time from 1:00 to 1:30
  • Changed the ground level (and the buildings level) down to 0.0 but kept the WTC height so they look higher (suggested by BenMillard)
Map image:
Map image
Map image
911.jpg (92.59 KiB) Viewed 28839 times
[suggestions are welcome!]
Last edited by Gustavob on 15 May 2011, 18:41, edited 10 times in total.
You just lost the game.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: 9/11

Post by Cuban-Pete »

When you jump while you take the elevator you drop death... lol

There are no guns? I tried only in single player.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

There are rockets and flamethrowers.

I doubt Vike expected his update would lead to this :O
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

You know, I like the bomb and building idea, but that it had to be 9/11... people who are close to NY won't like this stuff. :(
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Cuban-Pete wrote:When you jump while you take the elevator you drop death... lol
Old GTA2 bug. I explained it here
Cuban-Pete wrote:There are no guns? I tried only in single player.
Like Sektor said, there are rocket launchers and flamethrowers, but if you click Play Alone button in GH, it will take 30 seconds for them to spawn.
Cuban-Pete wrote:You know, I like the bomb and building idea, but that it had to be 9/11... people who are close to NY won't like this stuff. :(
Yea maybe, but I suddenly wanted to make a map to kinda "homage" (maybe doesnt even look like a 'homage' but.. :P ) 9/11 and I had no other idea... :? :roll:

eh.. also I just noticed I didnt add water animations, I'll fix it and also fix bomb-spawning loop and release a new version with these fixes today.

I also tried making it so you can actually see the building collapsing by adding some delays between the LOWER_LEVEL commands but it didnt work, the building didnt even drop.. :?:
You just lost the game.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

New version:
  • Water animation added
  • Bomb spawn-loop bug fixed! Now bomb object only spawns once and it WILL be properly deleted after the Firefighter is standing over it for 20 secs.
  • Door open trigger check-area now fixed (thanks to TM for pointing this out and suggesting a fix (door width and height (check areas) set to 0.0 , 0.0))
Check first post for update
You just lost the game.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I'm going to update this and Rocket & Molotov DeathMatch. Updates to 9/11 will include:
  • A few tiles changed, which include:
    • The whole roof of the Old U.S. Post Office building has been changed
    • Added some windows, removed others
    • Only a few tiles changed at the Al-Qaeda base, almost unnoticeable
    • Changed the whole 3 WTC walls, now all the "lights" are "on" since according to Wikipedia, it was at full capacity at the time of the attacks
  • Added bomb timers and bomb disarming timers
  • The interiors outside the mainland will be deprecated, I'll just remove the roof of the towers when a player is inside them
  • Going to add arrows pointing to the doors and to the bomb-planting place and to the bomb itself when its planted
  • The game will now display briefs (that guy talking to you at the bottom of the screen for those who don't know) giving instructions for the players on what to do
  • Going to add dusk lights
  • Player order inverted, now the player can start a singleplayer game as the terrorist
  • Changed the terrorist remap to red to prevent arrow confusion
EDIT: I might aswell change the MMP file to fit the new "standard" so it works on Elypter's maps page
Last edited by Gustavob on 09 May 2011, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Those changes all seem sensible. Maybe drop the floor to the lowest level, so you can get the biggest height effect for the buildings? You might avoid putting fences on rooves, so you can get an extra block of height. Also increases the risk for rooftop fights!

Text during a game can be counter-productive, especially if you write it to be a real character and a story.

The single-sentence "Do this to that object in this time" messages at the bottom of GTA3 are the best example. A single line of text, just at the start and then at the most crucial moment. Ideally your level will be self-explanatory thanks to the arrows and player colours.

A few words from one player can explain something to everyone. But only if there are no briefings covering up the bottom of the screen!
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

BenMillard wrote: Text during a game can be counter-productive, especially if you write it to be a real character and a story.

The single-sentence "Do this to that object in this time" messages at the bottom of GTA3 are the best example. A single line of text, just at the start and then at the most crucial moment. Ideally your level will be self-explanatory thanks to the arrows and player colours.
Indeed, stupidly long briefs aren't on my plans, just small, self-explanatory briefs like

"Red player, follow the arrow to plant a bomb inside the building", "Black player, follow the arrow to disarm the bomb by standing over it for 20 seconds", "Black player try to stop the terrorist before he plants the bomb" or something like that. The longest I would get would be by turning two briefs into one

PS I'm changing the terrorist's remap to red to prevent arrow confusion, and also players are inverted, so the terrorist can play alone, forgot to add those to the list on my previous post, going to add now

Timers have already been added (not to get confused with released). There's one timer (60 secs) for each bomb, and one timer (20 secs) to disarm each bomb. The disarm timer gets disabled/removed from the screen when the firefighter leaves the place.
You just lost the game.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I'm afraid I won't be able to upload an optimized GMP file as the gmp optimizer removes the covered (hidden) tiles, meaning it removes the interior floor, but keeps its set to field, meaning player will walk over "nothing" (but will see textures "bleed"). I tried scripting a few CHANGE_BLOCK lines, which worked BUT it failed when it lowered the building level, as it didn't change all the tiles to the "destroyed" tiles. If anybody has a solution for that please say it
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Untick the "Remove Hidden Surfaces" box every time you "Save Compressed" in R* Editor. That keeps all your tiles.

The "Prevent HSL" tickbox is supposed to stop that effect from removing the selected blocks. I never tried it but it probably works, as complex slopes can lose tiles without that ticked. So R* probably used it in places.

Never use File > Save because, erm, well I forget why. But there was a reason. Honest.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I swore I did that when I optimized the gmp file for the first time (causing me to think it was the optimizer fault) but it seems I didn't. Anyways thanks for your help!

/me facepalms
You just lost the game.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I have been strongly considering Ben's idea of changing the sty file, and I already tried something with wil.sty which looks resonably good, but the main problem is that there are no "destroyed" tiles there so I'd need to make my own ones or get somebody to do it for me. The last option is the most obvious and because I'm not good with image editing, I'll ask anybody out there disposed to help, to do a few 64x64 textures based upon the "destroyed" tiles from ste.sty, but with the roof I'm using from wil.sty. I'm going to paste screenshots of the new "911-wil.gmp" tomorrow (dont have much time to do it right now), so the helper can have some basis to make the destroyed tiles
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

There are plenty of metal frames, mesh and wires. There is usually a "worn-out" pavement type, with at least a few blends between that and the normal pavement type. If you rummage through it enough, you can probably create a mangled mess of metal surrounded by broken-looking pavement.

I'd suggest building the destroyed version of the building in the map file. Build the walls around it using the Flat mode, so there's a tube of "clean" walls. Then you can use lots of REMOVE_BLOCK in your mission code with 20-30 CHANGE_BLOCK LID commands to swap pavement types around the bottom edges.

Trying to build intricate bits of map using scripting commands will be a maintenance nightmare and very prone to bugs. Will also take quite a while to draw in the game.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote: Will also take quite a while to draw in the game.
put it in a while_exec and it will be executed in 1 frame
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

elypter wrote:
BenMillard wrote: Will also take quite a while to draw in the game.
put it in a while_exec and it will be executed in 1 frame
Not strictly true, as it has to do a lot of work per cube. Fortunately you're removing blocks rather than creating them so it'll be faster. Still, you should cover the "change" with explosions or off-screen otherwise it's very noticeable and looks... odd.

Check the residential mission to blow up a Scientist building or industrial to blow up the power station, though the residential one is more relevant as the building gets destroyed physically rather than having pretty explosions ;)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

DeCon Labs can CHANGE_BLOCK SIDE about 4 times per cycle. Vedic Assault can REMOVE_BLOCK about 8 times per cycle.

There's probably some hardcoded queue for these requests. To prevent Playstation and PCs from late 1990's stuttering when the map is changed dynamically.

(EDIT) This level has real potential to be playable, by the way. It will be like Counterstrike for GTA2 once nice and refined!
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

I also thought about a gta2 cs mode.
Razor already rebuilt aztek for gta2, it just doesnt have a script yet.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

BenMillard: I tried out a few tiles I found and ended up with this:

It's not bad, and I guess I'll use that. Obviously won't let that in the GMP files, as well as the old interiors since they're now depleted.

About the time it takes to change the tiles, I'm not sure but it doesn't take long in the current version, I was never able to see it changing a few tiles then others, even if it is a small time from "tile group" to "tile group" change its almost always noticeable, but I never noticed that happening. Also, the explosions would cover that up so nobody would actually notice it :P

PS: I might remove those things above the destroyed tiles, they look kinda weird.
You just lost the game.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I guess I'm going to change the time it takes for the bomb to explode from 1 minute to 1:30 minutes or at least 1:20 to make a better/more fair gameplay. Post below if you're against this.

EDIT: also, I'm not gonna add briefs, they're not so much needed and the player can read the readme or the first post for more information. The arrows will explain a lot aswell. I'm going to release it now. Also, here's a preview of the dusk mode:
Attachments
Dusk mode preview
Dusk mode preview
911dusk.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 28839 times
You just lost the game.