DAFE's Death Valley

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).

Rate the map?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
6%
11%
No votes
83%

Total votes: 18

BluE
Mugger
Mugger

Re: DAFE's Death Valley

Post by BluE »

had the old version from yesterday and had some desyncs as well
played 3 players and 2 were in dusk mode 1 in noon mode-> that resulted in the players with dusk mode played in one world and the noon mode was not synced to the both ;)

Also im not sure if the node boots hunts my enemys, i didnt notice them to hunt them in multiplayer, in single player they seemed to work fine ;)
MrExclusive
Mugger
Mugger

Post by MrExclusive »

Hi!

I've found an air texture where it is not supposed to be. The cords are [(X:136 , Y:120 , Z:1) under roof]. So far I haven't played this level on DUSK mode cause polish players prefer standard 'HS', but I hope I find someone someone soon.
DAFE
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by DAFE »

Hi MrExclusive,

Thanks so much for finding and reporting that air tile! Nothing more annoying or embarrasing than to fall through the map somewhere. Fortunately there are lots of places to jump to to get back on top (Fountain banks). I'm not sure if I caused that block to be air, or the GMP optimizer. I've had issues with the GMP optimizer before changing block properties to 'AIR' property. FYI. I'm going to assume it was the GMP optimizer as I don't make mistakes like this :P I've found and fixed the block and reposted a new .RAR archive with new .GMP file :) Thanks again MrExclusive, you're awesome!

Hi BluE,

Try the latest version, I've removed all flashing lights in DUSK mode hoping that solves the instant Desynch issue. Otherwise, just run NOON games. Sorry! There's no information out there regarding why games go out of synch in DUSK mode. I might have been the first to accidentally stumble upon this issue. :)

The 12 nude fountain bots do work...They will walk, drive or warp to their assigned targets with a few game controlled exceptions. The game needs to have the bots 'see' their target or their targets must be on/near roads it seems for them to start driving/warping to their targets. I've also noticed that some of the bots tend to wander in the park and even drown in fountain sometimes or multiples of them will be trying to steal the same car which prevents them from working properly until they get disrupted by objective target entering their screen area or other disruption. That's just how the game handles them once I script their objective targets unfortunately. Also, keep in mind that their objective is considered completed when their target dies even if they didn't make the kill. Once their objectives are considered complete, they suicide. If the nude Fountain bots successfully kill their objective target the players death is considered a suicide as they are not considered part of the initiating players gang, they are lone, nude, hitmen! :P

If I haven't states so yet, here's how they work:

Any player triggers them at center of fountain for $7000 and 12 nude Invulnerable Fountain bots spawn on road medians around park. There is approximately a 30 second delay on being able to retrigger the Fountain bots which will cause the previous set of Fountain bots to suicide wherever they were and cause new Fountain bots to respawn on road medians again around park. They will hunt objective targets with Rocket launchers and they may also grab their spawned gunjeeps and chase you down using the jeeps gun. They will also steal any other cars around them even the players cars while the players are in them! :P

1P game = All 12 Fountain bots will hunt Player 1
2P game = All 12 Fountain bots will hunt Player 2
3P game = 2 Groups of 6 Fountain bots will hunt each of your 2 opponents
4P game = 3 Groups of 4 Fountain bots will hunt each of your 3 opponents
5P game = 4 Groups of 3 Fountain bots will hunt each of your 4 opponents
6P game = 5 Groups of 3, 3, 2, 2, 2 Fountain bots will hunt each of your 5 opponents
Last edited by DAFE on 15 Jun 2009, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

GMP Optimizer removes the uncompressed map, so if you make a change and click "save" instead of "save as compressed", you will lose that change when removing the uncompressed map. You probably know that already and there might be some bug that I don't know about.
DAFE
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by DAFE »

Hi Sektor, thanks for your feedback...

Hmmm...not sure if what you say applies to me, although good to know for me and others I'm sure!

I keep the .GMP uncompressed file in a separate folder from the compressed which I usually just put in the GTA2/data directory as my next step was always to test it :) When I'm ready to archive files, I just run the GMP optimizer to the 'compressed GMP' in the GTA2\data directory.

I usually take a quick look at the map's block properties in Block Property view before posting online as I've run into this issue before with the GMP optimizer repeatedly making a block on DrSLony's Church roof top 'Air' property from 'Field' for some reason. I couldn't explain why or how I was able to get it to work finally :P Trial and Error I guess. Unfortunately, I missed one block that MrExclusive quickly found fortunately as it was kind of hidden in a building that you can walk into. :P All fixed now!
DAFE
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by DAFE »

Just wanted to report that I was able to test latest version (June 15) with MasterChef of Canada and it didn't go out of synch immediately in DUSK mode. Might be good news. We had a few desynchs but in mid game and we were raising hell with Molotov's and grenades so it might have been because of all the explosions. God I hope someone will fix GTA2 synching some day :P I'll make all the DUSK lighting more interesting again :P
MrExclusive
Mugger
Mugger

Post by MrExclusive »

Hi!

With pleasure I hereby declare that there is no "desnych" on DUSK mode! Which means that this sync issue was caused by flashing lights which are removed by now. I played with _Y_oGhurt for 30 minutes and no issues happened. What's more map with ambient level set to 0.33 looks gorgeous. I wish my map looked in half gorgeous as Yours in dusk mode. :) Now we can enjoy even more !
[lst]DraGon
Mugger
Mugger
GH nick: [lst]DraGon

Post by [lst]DraGon »

this map is CRAZY

thats why i voted 8
GTA2 original copy holder(i have original copy of gta2)
DAFE
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by DAFE »

Thanks for the vote! We really enjoy playing this map...it never seems to bore us. Lots to do and try, many different scenarios of killing and being killed :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I removed the 8MB zip attachment with audio files and replaced it with a 2MB 7-Zip attachment without audio files. The audio files haven't been needed for a long time.
BluE
Mugger
Mugger

Post by BluE »

Hey Dave, still enjoying you map :)

I just noticed theres a patch for gta2 out which enables army in multiplay without sync problems. Could you enable army to your map? It should be just a few lines in your code removed, but I guess it doesnt work if i change the *.mis file, because the game isnt using that one?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

You have to compile the MIS file for GTA2 to read the changes. The compiler creates an SCR file. DAFE said that he is too scared to enable army.
BluE
Mugger
Mugger

Post by BluE »

Sektor wrote:You have to compile the MIS file for GTA2 to read the changes. The compiler creates an SCR file. DAFE said that he is too scared to enable army.
Thanks for your help, its working =)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I cleaned up the first post. Separated the huge blocks of text into lists, changed all the blocks of uppercase text into lowercase, remove the dusk image (there's still a link to it), fixed some typos and moved the feature list to the top since it's more relevant than the changelog.

It's still a bit overwhelming with all that text and many large images but it suits the madness of the map.
Hired Goon
Ped
Ped
GH nick: DMC

Post by Hired Goon »

10/10 well done
Eire Elites very own DMC