Map preview images for GH

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Map preview images for GH

Post by BenMillard »

Map preview images go in the data folder. That's where people will try to extract them. That's what your package should be set up to do. AFAICT the only thing stopping it is one readme file - which is pointlessly placed in an extras folder instead of being with the previews.

Missing Previews
These bonus levels don't have previews:
  • Bonus Ice Cream Easy: lorne2e
  • Bonus Ice Cream Medium: lorne2m
  • Bonus Ice Cream Hard: lorne2h
  • Bonus Race Medium: mike1m
  • Bonus Race Hard: mike1h
  • Bonus Massacre Easy: mike2e
  • Bonus Massacre Medium: mike2m
  • Bonus Massacre Hard: mike2h
I only noticed because I made some MMP files for my own single-player use. The mike1e I have seems to match the race4rockets.jpg image. It's a good one.

Preview Sizes
Some of the preview dimensions are uselessly large - much bigger than domestic computer screens, let alone the preview area in GH! A couple of examples:
  • loonyzooka.jpg: 945x1082 would theoretically fit on my 1600x1200 screen. But the title bar, options and buttons in Create Game plus the height of a taskbar mean it could never be shown at 100% quality. (1200 vertical pixels seems pretty rare, even these days.)
  • swt.jpg: 1377x1553 is so big I couldn't quite show it if I showed it full-screen and turned my 1600x1200 monitor on its side!
  • suburban_anarchy.jpg: 1665x1245 wouldn't fit by width or by height no matter how I turned my screen.
I think 400x300 is fine, as most people probably don't maximise that window? With the improved logic Sektor's writing for the maps list, people who currently maximise might not for much longer.

800x600 works well for small windows and much better for big windows. Also gives a better view for any advanced player who sometimes browses the data folder manually. But this is an edge case.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:Map preview images go in the data folder. That's where people will try to extract them. That's what your package should be set up to do. AFAICT the only thing stopping it is one readme file - which is pointlessly placed in an extras folder instead of being with the previews.

Missing Previews
These bonus levels don't have previews:
  • Bonus Ice Cream Easy: lorne2e
  • Bonus Ice Cream Medium: lorne2m
  • Bonus Ice Cream Hard: lorne2h
  • Bonus Race Medium: mike1m
  • Bonus Race Hard: mike1h
  • Bonus Massacre Easy: mike2e
  • Bonus Massacre Medium: mike2m
  • Bonus Massacre Hard: mike2h
I only noticed because I made some MMP files for my own single-player use. The mike1e I have seems to match the race4rockets.jpg image. It's a good one.

Preview Sizes
Some of the preview dimensions are uselessly large - much bigger than domestic computer screens, let alone the preview area in GH! A couple of examples:
  • loonyzooka.jpg: 945x1082 would theoretically fit on my 1600x1200 screen. But the title bar, options and buttons in Create Game plus the height of a taskbar mean it could never be shown at 100% quality. (1200 vertical pixels seems pretty rare, even these days.)
  • swt.jpg: 1377x1553 is so big I couldn't quite show it if I showed it full-screen and turned my 1600x1200 monitor on its side!
  • suburban_anarchy.jpg: 1665x1245 wouldn't fit by width or by height no matter how I turned my screen.
I think 400x300 is fine, as most people probably don't maximise that window? With the improved logic Sektor's writing for the maps list, people who currently maximise might not for much longer.

800x600 works well for small windows and much better for big windows. Also gives a better view for any advanced player who sometimes browses the data folder manually. But this is an edge case.
i will add the bonus images and some others which i found myself too when i update image_pakx next time.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Don't quote a message which is just before your own one. Especially when it's long.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Here are some preview images (400x300 maximum) for people who have the GTA2 conversions of GTA1 levels. Those levels were in a map pack by Pyro but it contained lots of work by other authors, too. JernejL/Delfi probably did most of the converting and tools programming, although Sektor seems to have done a few things for GTA2 London. The Miami stuff is probably from his Tanks in Miami.

As these levels don't have preview images and are DMA levels in the first place, should be fine.

GTA 1
Liberty City (Chapter 1 & 2, aka New York City)
Liberty City (Chapter 1 & 2, aka New York City)
nyc.gif (60.55 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
San Andreas (Chapter 3 & 4, aka San Francisco)
San Andreas (Chapter 3 & 4, aka San Francisco)
sanb.gif (54.35 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
Vice City (Chapter 5 & 6, aka Miami)
Vice City (Chapter 5 & 6, aka Miami)
miami.gif (76.4 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
GTA London
GTA London 1969 (expansion pack, now free)
GTA London 1969 (expansion pack, now free)
uk.gif (41.21 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
GTA Manchester 1969 (multiplayer level from GTA London 1969)
GTA Manchester 1969 (multiplayer level from GTA London 1969)
uk_mc.gif (40.5 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
(EDIT) Here's a suite of preview images and MMP files for the GTA2 bonus levels (250kB, ZIP):
Image Image Image
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

thanks for making the images.
i will include the gta1 map images and i will compare the bonus images with the ones i already included in the newest version
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Please could you give the filesize next to the download and move that link to the top of your first message? It's currently about 26MB.

I've attached a picture for AT PCA - was flying around it today and realised how excellent the design and layout are. Especially as it uses Residential textures ste.sty:
AT_PCA, 300x400 pixels. We don't know what it's really called or who made it?
AT_PCA, 300x400 pixels. We don't know what it's really called or who made it?
at_pca.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 10946 times
Please Remove
The nearest thing to an 'official' GTA1 Cities converted to GTA2 page now provides the previews I posted earlier:
  1. miami.jpg
  2. nyc.jpg
  3. sanb.jpg
  4. uk.jpg
  5. uk_mc.jpg
Also, I recently made a page for GTA2's Bonus Levels. It includes my earlier posted preview images and .mmp files:
  1. lorne2e.jpg
  2. lorne2m.jpg
  3. lorne2h.jpg
  4. mike1e.jpg
  5. mike1m.jpg
  6. mike1h.jpg
  7. mike2e.jpg
  8. mike2m.jpg
  9. mike2h.jpg
(EDIT) Here's one for CarThief's Gun 'N' Molotov Arena:
CarThief's Gun 'N' Molotov Arena, 300x400 pixels.
CarThief's Gun 'N' Molotov Arena, 300x400 pixels.
Gun'N'Molotov Arena.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 10936 times