Jailbreak Development

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Jailbreak Development

Post by BenMillard »

Counter-Strike bomb fuse is now 5 seconds instead of 10 seconds. A countdown is given at the bottom of the screen.

10 seconds was only possible in 1vs2 games if both defenders made bad mistakes and the attacker got lucky with holding the position after they respawned. It was quite nice in 2v2 so I hope the balance is now too hard for defenders when there are more players.

I can tune the balance for different numbers of players and keep it as a single .scr. Just do a health check on each player to increment the same counter and I have the number of players. Maybe this will be ideal:
  1. 5 seconds. (Same as car bombs and no defender to wait for.)
  2. 10 seconds. (Single defender gets a chance to respawn and defuse the bomb.)
  3. 5 seconds. (Attacker must kill both defenders; shouldn't have to kill them both again!)
  4. 10 seconds? (2 attackers can defend against 2 defenders twice?)
  5. 5 seconds? (3 defenders in a tiny area.)
  6. 5 seconds? (Even with 3 attackers, denying the area from 3 defenders with at least some respawning would be impossible?)
GTA2 Timers and Counters
ZOMG these are so damn annoying. Even when you are using separate counter and timer objects, the game mixes them up. A ticking countdown integrated with the stage indicator removes the stage indicator when the time completes. Re-creating the stage timer adds it to the upward timer. Huh?

Creating the upward timer before the stage indicator should solve that, as it seems the commands just add onto the bottom pager thingy. But no. Instead this becomes an integrated ticking timer, even though the upward timer has a different object name and even a different object type!

So after quite a lot of swearing I gave up and used DISPLAY_BRIEF_NOW to show a countdown.

A ticking sound at the bomb location should be possible... or do I recall problems with removing PLAY_FOREVER sounds?
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

you could also use vehicle numbers for displaying the counter like in ddr2
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

What level is that and how does it work?
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

sorry, i meant ddr (destruction derby reloaded)
cars are being used to display game state and menu
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Hmm, it's an idea. Messages are visible to everyone and the code was simple, so that's OK.

My remote control missiles are crashing the game a few seconds after you enter them. Doesn't matter where you drive, if you survive about 10 seconds the game crashes. :-(

The code with this final objective is on the website and in auto-download via Game Hunter. Mission coders, please try it and help figure out what's wrong! Missiles are only coded for player 1, they don't respawn so the code is very simple. (stage = 6 near the end of the jailbreak-base.mis file.)