GTA2 Font Topic - TXT2GTA2 (Version 3 Released!)

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Re: GTA2 Font Topic - TXT2GTA2 (Version 3 Released!)

Post by Gustavob »

[15]: works fine for me too
You just lost the game.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

works whitch other letters :)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sorry Razor, but I don't know how to fix that ":" bug. I think you need to life with it. :)

In the mean time, I did some exploring the bitmap file format in Visual Studio with .Net and it seems to be able to edit these things with ease and also save as .png. So perhaps I will step over to that system instead of imagemagick. The funny thing is that I converted all the .bmp files from STY tool to .png, now I might need to change them back. :lol: (wont be that hard I think)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I'm working on version 4 already. It think it will have multi-line support, real-time font example (normal font first), customizable colors and option to set save folder.

Now working on "set save folder", however there is a problem....

It compiles perfectly (no warnings) but when I run the program it crashes directly. The error is:
"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Er is geen enkele geschikte bron voor de opgegeven cultuur of de neutrale cultuur gevonden. Controleer of TXT2GTA2_v4.Form1.resources juist is ingesloten of gekoppeld in assembly TXT2GTA2_v4 tijdens de compilatie, of controleer of alle vereiste satelliet-assembly's laadbaar en volledig ondertekend zijn.
I tried google'ing the problem, but could not solve it... :( (this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839861)
I'm getting pretty sick of those annoying error's where you have no clue where they are coming from.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Wow, I seem to have fixed it. What I did wrong was making a copy of version 3 (all visual studio files) and renamed some stuff to v4. So something went wrong with resource still looking at v3. I fixed it by hand, by changing command line/resource properties from

$(IntDir)\$(RootNamespace).$(InputName).resources

to

"Release\TXT2GTA2_v4.Form1.resources"

However this is not really perfect solution. So I will look to find the $(RootNamespace) thingy... -solved-
Last edited by Cuban-Pete on 23 Feb 2010, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

AFAIK you wrote that program in python (good), but why the hell do you want to use M$ libs now? Since you already started with a free, open source and cross-platform language, why don't you find a fix to your problem that's also free and cross-platform? What's the problem?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

DrSlony wrote:AFAIK you wrote that program in python (good), but why the hell do you want to use M$ libs now? Since you already started with a free, open source and cross-platform language, why don't you find a fix to your problem that's also free and cross-platform? What's the problem?
I know Python is open source, but it is more like a scripting language, you can't really compile it to machine code, which means it's always a bit slower and clumsy when people don't have Python installed. People do have .Net installed and with Visual Studio 2008 gives me great editing options and can easily/quickly make a decent GUI. GTA2 is only for Windows, so most users also have Windows and .Net.

I tried Qt, but it works completely different and you don't have that Windows look (for as far as I know).

I'm not saying I'm pro Windows, but creating a program for Windows with a Visual Studio works good so far.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I'm getting a

Code: Select all

error C2352: 'System::ComponentModel::TypeConverter::ConvertFromString' : illegal call of non-static member function
I have no idea how to fix it...
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I had nothing to do so I decided to create an image with your tool (and to get on crazy side of stuff). This is what I wrote. And it really exists.
Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon
Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon
result13.png (4.24 KiB) Viewed 30081 times
Check this out if you want to know whatthefuckisthat
You just lost the game.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

:P

I tested the text line and it does it pretty fast on my pc. Like within 1 (or 2) seconds. :)
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu" now become an GTA2 area name. :P
taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
EDIT: too bad that can't became true. I tried to create a navigation zone named "taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu" and game crashes exactly when I get into a block of that area, either by teleporting, by foot or by car. It crashes because the name is too big
You just lost the game.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

Python Graphic User Interface FAQ
About PyQT

Eclipse (and see this too) a powerful IDE
Code::Blocks, a VB alternative
SharpDevelop, a VB alternative

Comparison of integrated development environments

"you don't have that Windows look (for as far as I know)"
Whats a Windows look? 95? 98? XP? Vista? 7?

It's not about being anti-windows, its about coding in a way which gives users freedom of OS choice, without needing to resort to things like wine when you can let your program run natively on different platforms. e.g. it would be much easier for me to code Sally to use your tool in IRC (GH) if you use python or any other language I can natively run here, especially if you open your source, than if you use M$ stuff (although now that there is a GUI to your tool I scrapped the idea, but the example is still valid). You will choose what you will choose, but take into account that your choice will have a direct impact not only on the 'user experience' today but also on its usability in the future, who will be able to run it, how difficult it will be to port it to more modern languages and run it on other operating systems, how much incentive there will be for potential developers to contribute, etc. Using open and free (ie. not crippled by evil licenses) languages, tools and libraries fosters such growth, but making the right choices and doing it so it works well and looks nice is up to you.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

DrSlony wrote:"you don't have that Windows look (for as far as I know)"
Whats a Windows look? 95? 98? XP? Vista? 7?
I mean that some Ubuntu (or other Linux) programs have ugly icon's, big buttons and different font. Stuff like that... But those could perhaps be overcome with some custom settings I guess.

I think I will finish my version 4 in .Net (Visual Studio) because I put a lot of work in it, but when I start a new project (or feel good enough to rewrite this one) I will think about doing it with open-source language/tools/libraries. :)

--------
Can someone help with this?
Cuban-Pete wrote:I'm getting a

Code: Select all

error C2352: 'System::ComponentModel::TypeConverter::ConvertFromString' : illegal call of non-static member function
I have no idea how to fix it...
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Version 4 is getting a big hit in the production time. :x I'm having a major problem with converting HSB/HSL to RGB. :(

I do have a version that real-time shows the color that you selected on a GTA2 normal font image (with possible color picker), but the colors are "off". They are too dark.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Just tried TXT2GTA2; works beautifully here. Nice work! Any chance it will support GTA1 text somewhere in the future?
Gustavob wrote:I tried to create a navigation zone named "taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu" and game crashes exactly when I get into a block of that area, either by teleporting, by foot or by car.
I think it's priceless you actually tried that.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Lantyz wrote: I think it's priceless you actually tried that.
Sure, but I had nothing else to do and was bored, so... :roll: :P
You just lost the game.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

you just reminded me about something that cuban forgot!

In fstyle.sty are fonts from menu and some font from GTA1 add them :0

also i would like to see that "font " too.
razor.PNG
razor.PNG (2.36 KiB) Viewed 30046 times
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks for the compliments. Makes the hard work more pleasant. :lol:

I did not know about fstyle.sty. Is that all GTA1 font or? I need to know so I can make two tabs in program, one with GTA2 and other with GTA1 font.

It will take some time before I get version 4 done, I have lots of ideas and things I want to test. :)
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Cuban-Pete wrote:I did not know about fstyle.sty. Is that all GTA1 font or?
As far as I can tell, GTA1 uses five different fonts, two of which (the big "wasted!" font and the mission font) can be found in fstyle.sty. The mission font is also used for the weapon texts, car signs and area signs, albeit in different colors. I can't find the GTA1 fonts with GTA Cars, only the signs.
Attachments
area sign right.png
area sign right.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 30036 times
area sign left.png
area sign left.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 30036 times
car sign.png
car sign.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 30036 times
GTA1 fonts.png
GTA1 fonts.png (39.81 KiB) Viewed 30036 times
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks for the images. However they look a bit boring, ugly and old. :o So I'm thinking about not putting them in, sorry.

I'm thinking about putting under the current menu font, 2 new fonts. One with logo font (is current menu font), one with the real menu font and one with those circles (posted by razor).

Did I miss any GTA2 font?