Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Post by T.M. »

This is my attempt to create a replacement for the official GTA2 map editor.

Note: The map block editor is not yet implemented, instead a lot more useful features are implemented that does not exist in any other editor yet!

Last updated: 25.10.2014 (Version 0.6.6602)
All dates are in d.m.y format.

Download latest version:
EpicGTA2MapEditor066602.7z
Latest version (0.6.6602)
(997.34 KiB) Downloaded 6453 times
Previous version:
EpicGTA2MapEditor0666.7z
Older previous version
(1009.85 KiB) Downloaded 5201 times
Tutorials:
http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=583

-----

If you want, you can download higher resolution sky for nicer screenshots, delete old files from data/skybox folder and then unzip to the editor folder:
skybox_2048px.rar
High resolution skybox for nicer screenshots
(5.64 MiB) Downloaded 3705 times
Notice: Only for GFX cards that have 256MB or more graphics memory! Also your window width should be more than 1280 pixels wide to get any advantage of this high res pack.

General features:
  • Open .mmp files into the editor by doubleclicking them.
  • View the map in the editor with no limits on zoom, take nice screenshots from your maps in any angle you wish. Also night mode with GTA2 lighting supported!
  • Edit the map zones with much easier/cleaner way than ever before.
  • Display almost all script objects in the map: cars, objects, chars, trains, doors, triggers, cranes, etc. exactly like they appear in GTA2!
  • Edit script objects positions/rotations: easily move a group of objects by mouse!
  • Automatically detect if script file was modified, and easily reload it if you made changes in some other program.
  • Create any size map images automatically, with cars and other objects in them, also you can scale objects sizes as you wish!
  • Save 2048x2048 size minimap by just one click.
  • Test the map quickly from the editor by launching it in GTA2.
  • Convert (decompile) SCR files into MIS files, supports also all of the map missions decompiling at once too.
  • Load any map and see their scripts without having the original .mis file: SCR file is automatically decompiled!
  • Optimize GMP/SCR files, compress map/lights/zones tighter than ever!
  • Export 3d models from the maps!
Short example of how this editor works:

A map exported as 3d model and rendered in Blender (screenshot made by Cuban-Pete).

The script editor. Displaying map objects, car remaps, gang/traffic info, trains, script preview with syntax highlighting!

------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

Known bugs/flaws/requirements:
- If your card doesnt support at least 2048x2048 size textures, then editor wont render textures. (or wont even work?)
- Tiles gets ugly edges around them on certain camera positions, happens only on bad GFX cards that doesnt support larger than 2048x2048 texture size.
- Rendering speed is poor on poor GFX cards, for example on cheap laptops. (could be made faster).
- Flats (transparent tiles) are not always rendered properly (disappears at some positions when camera is too close at them).
- Zone names can be renamed only with A-Z and 0-9 letters.

NOTE: If the editor looks weird, send your screenshot here and tell me your Operating System name (windows xp etc) and your GFX card name (ATI radeon etc). also tell which map you were using

--------------------

More screenshots:

Night mode lighting support! (click for larger)

Using stereogram mode can create realistic 3d depth images when you cross your eyes and focus.

Create full size map images automatically with all the script objects in it, crop the output image only at the playing area. Notice the remapped cars and cranes visible!

Zone editor showing the railway station zones speciality.

Zoom out as much as you wish!

Dafes death valley with infinite water, fog and sky.

Residential map at night mode, with stars on the sky! (click for larger to see stars better).

---------------------------------------------------------------
More:
---------------------------------------------------------------

DMA Editor tuned version:
http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=277

--

Enjoy!
Last edited by T.M. on 08 Nov 2014, 20:17, edited 127 times in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (only Zone Editor currently)

Post by Sektor »

It runs really smooth on my ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3470 512MB. Great job. The 3D mode just makes me want to spawn a car and drive around.

I can view the map in 3D or top down and even zoom out to see the entire map but the minimap doesn't display correctly.
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

Hi TM.
Very nice work.

Im gonna abandon my project now.
Last edited by B-$hep on 14 Feb 2010, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Wow, that looks really amazing. :D Must have been a lot of work... :?:

With what did you make it (like editor)? OpenGL?, I see a glew.dll file....

So far, I haven't be able to break... :P
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:The 3D mode just makes me want to spawn a car and drive around.
me too! maybe i add car some time :roll:
B-$hep wrote:Im gonna abandon my project now.
Aw, you dont need to abandon anything! how else would you learn opengl and stuff. besides, programming is fun too.
Cuban-Pete wrote:With what did you make it (like editor)? OpenGL?, I see a glew.dll file....
I use Visual Studio C++ and OpenGL, that glew.dll is for some stuff i forgot already :lol: gotta check do i even need that dll anymore.

Edit: apparently it was useless, the dll file is now deleted.
Last edited by T.M. on 01 Feb 2010, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

SDL should already have everything you need.
I actually recommend you to switch to SFML.
Its HW accelerated, SDL is not, as far as i know.
Or just use that GLEW and wipe out the SDL.

Or use NVidia opengl sdk like opengta2
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I dont use SDL for rendering at all, it was included for audio (which is not included in this release), and some other things
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Looks very promising, but... I can't get it to work! If I use the [DIR] method, the editor starts loading the files of the first map in my data folder, but the editor crashes when it says "launching editor". Curiously, the editor was able to generate a minimap image of the first level in my data folder.
If I use a line like "data/maps/bil.gmp|data/maps/bil.sty|Industrial", the editor tells me "Could not open style file: data/bil.sty" and "Could not open map file: data/bil.gmp". The editor then loads, but without a map.

My PC with GTA2 is using Windows XP and a somewhat ancient GeForce4 Ti 4200. Haven't tried it on a more modern system yet.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

And for me it doesn't show minimap and generated minimap is completely black.
I forgot to mention that.

XP PRO SP2.
ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series, 256MB.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Lantyz wrote:Looks very promising, but... I can't get it to work! If I use the [DIR] method, the editor starts loading the files of the first map in my data folder, but the editor crashes when it says "launching editor". Curiously, the editor was able to generate a minimap image of the first level in my data folder.
hmmm, crash :o interesting, i will update the file now, try it again and if it crashes, send me the debug.txt zipped please!
Lantyz wrote:If I use a line like "data/maps/bil.gmp|data/maps/bil.sty|Industrial", the editor tells me "Could not open style file: data/bil.sty" and "Could not open map file: data/bil.gmp". The editor then loads, but without a map.
thats because you are using relative paths there, change to absolute paths and try again. (like: "c:\gta2\data\bil.sty" instead).
Lantyz wrote:My PC with GTA2 is using Windows XP and a somewhat ancient GeForce4 Ti 4200. Haven't tried it on a more modern system yet.
do you know if your windows is 64 bit or not?
B-$hep wrote:And for me it doesn't show minimap and generated minimap is completely black.

XP PRO SP2.
hmm, theres been lots of problems with minimap being black, dunno what is really causing it, try the newest version i uploaded?
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

And for me it doesn't show minimap and generated minimap is completely black.

XP PRO SP2.

same thing xp ati radeon x700
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Is a 'what I would to see added' post already allowed or does that make me sound selfish? :P

Two buttons with renders options would be nice. One to render the total map from above (like the one in the corner above) to a .png. And one to render all textures in the 3D view on high quality, because now the road starts to get blurry pretty quick (which is good for looking around, but not so nice when taking a screenshot/picture).

An option to see also in noon/dark/night perhaps?

Still want to say that it looks very cool to fly over the map. Thanks. :D

Downtown, starting place:
downtown-3D.jpg
downtown-3D.jpg (156.12 KiB) Viewed 127867 times
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Is a 'what I would to see added' post already allowed or does that make me sound selfish? :P
no problem, suggestions are always wanted!
Cuban-Pete wrote:Two buttons with renders options would be nice. One to render the total map from above (like the one in the corner above) to a .png. And one to render all textures in the 3D view on high quality, because now the road starts to get blurry pretty quick (which is good for looking around, but not so nice when taking a screenshot/picture).

An option to see also in noon/dark/night perhaps?
You can save the minimap by typing SAVEMINIMAP in the command line (enter to activate), it will be saved in same folder where exe is, in BMP (or TGA/RAW) format. I will add PNG support some day.

You should read readme.txt, it has lots of functions there, also that one you probably want: L/CTRL+L = sharper/smoother terrain. (Level of detail).
Holding down CTRL+L will make the terrain more sharper, also the rendering will get slower since it starts using higher resolutions for textures. Dont expect it to look nicer though.

Night option will be added when i have made the GTA2 lights working.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

i missed the ctrl+l command, works nice.

SAVEMINIMAP doesnt really work. sometimes it gives black image and it's only 256x256...

another thing i noticed is that the map face off 2 player, when you go under stuff, there is black...

how you like my painting? lol

edit: can you also do 360/panorama? or other camera lens?
Attachments
screen.jpg
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

ALL OF YOU WHO HAD MINIMAP PROBLEMS:
DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST RELEASE, IT SHOULD FIX IT!

if it doesnt, describe how its fucked up this time :roll:
Cuban-Pete wrote:SAVEMINIMAP doesnt really work. sometimes it gives black image and it's only 256x256...
that should be impossible to make 256x256 image on that command... are you sure you didnt look in the data/minimap folder instead? thats not where the minimaps are saved by that command, they are saved in the same folder where your MapEditor.exe is.
Cuban-Pete wrote:another thing i noticed is that the map face off 2 player, when you go under stuff, there is black...
i can do nothing about those, its not a bug, but a feature that the original GTA2 editor has: it removes tiles that the player cannot see. It does this when you save the map in compressed format.
Cuban-Pete wrote:edit: can you also do 360/panorama? or other camera lens?
hmm good idea, ill see if i can do that, later ;) , that would require 4 manual screenshots though.
Last edited by T.M. on 01 Feb 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

add support to new .sty files!

eg: Golden Lap: http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65&p=347
[Dir]data/g1.gmp|C:/GTA2/data/f1.sty|Golden Lap

Look:
MapEditor 2010-02-01 13-22-46-76.png
MapEditor 2010-02-01 13-23-16-50.png
MapEditor 2010-02-01 13-25-17-57.png
btw here is topic which some ideas: http://www.gtatwo.fora.pl/konstruktorzy ... 65-15.html
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

yeah i will fix the custom sty file problem.

i cant read polish, so that topic is kinda useless for me :roll:

did you try the newest version 0.5.15 ? to see if it fixes your minimap problems.

Edit: Also, if you want to get rid of those lines around the textures, create "nomipmap.txt" in the same folder (empty file) and run the editor again. this method will disable smoothed textures (the lines are caused by smoothing). On better cards it will render them properly.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

i did (first i removed old images) then i ran editor and its still blank! but now i see minimap on the left

you can use: http://translate.google.com/ :]
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

TradeMark wrote:hmmm, crash :o interesting, i will update the file now, try it again and if it crashes, send me the debug.txt zipped please!
The new version works like a charm! I really like the zone editor. Editing zones in the main 3D window in combination with the ability to flatten the map is very effective. The free camera and infinite drawing distance is great fun: I spend half an hour flying around my levels. The minimap export feature will be very popular among mappers, especially since Game Hunter 1.5 will support map images while selecting a level. Nice to see a lot of features that were buggy or missing in the original editor in your first release, by the way.

All in all a very impressive piece of work! It's already looking way more solid than the original editor, even though it's still heavily WIP. Can't wait to see this evolve!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Razor wrote: but now i see minimap on the left
wait, does the minimap work for you now? i would like to see screenshots, they tell more than 1000 words ;)

Lantyz wrote:The new version works like a charm! I really like the zone editor. Editing zones in the main 3D window in combination with the ability to flatten the map is very effective.
Nice to hear someone is actually using the zone editor too! :lol:
Lantyz wrote:The free camera and infinite drawing distance is great fun: I spend half an hour flying around my levels.
Indeed, i wonder why i had a year pause in developing this program :? ^^
Lantyz wrote:The minimap export feature will be very popular among mappers, especially since Game Hunter 1.5 will support map images while selecting a level.
Yeah, i hope i can make it work for everyone.
Lantyz wrote:Nice to see a lot of features that were buggy or missing in the original editor in your first release, by the way.

All in all a very impressive piece of work! It's already looking way more solid than the original editor, even though it's still heavily WIP. Can't wait to see this evolve!
Thanks, and dont forget to test it to the limits ;)