vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by elypter »

Excellent. :D
Vike the Hube wrote:Unfortunately it would be hard to reset the whole game state to some base state- I don't think there's a script command to do it. It's probably just as easy to individually go through and fix all the things that make it desync. But we'll see :P
I just thought it would be easier to reset the whole game than only something specific. For resyncing it should suffice to place every player at the start position.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

elypter wrote:For resyncing it should suffice to place every player at the start position.
Unfortunately that's not good enough. We also need to resync the random number generator (probably easy), and resync the world state which feeds the RNG and what players can do (very hard) :P
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Would also have to reset scripting, as an object may have been destroyed and bots activated for one player but not for anyone else.

So yeah, re-syncing seems like a false economy to me. Nearly all causes of desync are gone. Especially with the exiting developments v11.40 may contain.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

ok, i see it involves a lot more :D . It's not too high priority anyway but if it comes back in consideration this could also be done by completely restarting gta2 and skipping the lobby.

skipping lobby could be also an interesting feature on its own. atm its possible to start a singleplayer game without frontend. but it would be nice if its also possible to start a 1 player multiplayer game without frontend/lobby too.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

elypter wrote:ok, i see it involves a lot more :D . It's not too high priority anyway but if it comes back in consideration this could also be done by completely restarting gta2 and skipping the lobby.

skipping lobby could be also an interesting feature on its own. atm its possible to start a singleplayer game without frontend. but it would be nice if its also possible to start a 1 player multiplayer game without frontend/lobby too.
if you do complete restarting, it would be nice that the score was remembered (for the new game). if that is possible...
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

that only makes sense if the game isn't desynced for too long, so that the scores are not different.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Do Sync Checks detects desyncs very quickly, so it's unlikely the scores would be different.

Vike released a new version:

v11.40
- Made ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN aim for whoever is closest instead of the local player. This fixes Army in multiplayer!
- Fixed SET_ALL_CONTROLS_STATUS and SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS in multiplayer- no more desyncs.
- Fixed WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT in multiplayer (no more desyncs). It can teleport a player even when they aren't in a car.
- Like 10.3 does, in-game chat now supports ,./;-
- Stopped long chat messages shaking.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Sektor wrote:Do Sync Checks detects desyncs very quickly, so it's unlikely the scores would be different.

Vike released a new version:

v11.40
- Made ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN aim for whoever is closest instead of the local player. This fixes Army in multiplayer!
- Fixed SET_ALL_CONTROLS_STATUS and SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS in multiplayer- no more desyncs.
- Fixed WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT in multiplayer (no more desyncs). It can teleport a player even when they aren't in a car.
- Like 10.3 does, in-game chat now supports ,./;-
- Stopped the chat vibrating. If anyone wants to draw an underscore for the chat font you'll see why it was doing it and how I fixed it.
*puts shirt over head and starts running* Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! :D

:arrow: Can't wait to test this, especially RBTM! +5 respect! 8-) I think Ben will also have something to say about this, especially for Jailbreak! :shock:

:arrow: I wonder how the WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT works now if the player doesn't have to be in a car? I remember you don't actually need to refer to a car name (just needs to be inside an IF loop etc), just the player, the co-ordinates and the rotation I think. Is this instant teleport (like Wang Cars in STE)? Or does it teleport and then the screen has to wait to catch up? Either way this will open up a few new possibilities in multiplayer :)

:arrow: Not sure anyone used SET_ALL_CONTROLS_STATUS and SET_ENTER_CONTROL_STATUS, especially in multiplayer (I could be wrong), but nice to know it's fixed!

:arrow: Nice to have more characters to use in GTA2 chat! Is it possible to add "!" and "?" at some point (instead of using 1 for exclamation mark and 2 for question mark :P ) as well?
Last edited by Pyro on 22 Aug 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote: - Stopped long chat messages from shaking. If anyone wants to draw an underscore for the chat font you'll see why it was doing it and how I fixed it.
Uh, draw exactly what? :)

There is already underscore character:
underscore.png
underscore.png (266 Bytes) Viewed 39622 times
You can put it under the other characters:
a_under_score.png
a_under_score.png (395 Bytes) Viewed 39622 times
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Teleport moves the camera instantly. I tried teleporting in front of the rocket I just fired but it went through my character. You can only teleport players. Teleporting a ped crashes the game. Not much point teleporting a ped since you can just delete them and recreate where you want.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Cuban-Pete wrote: Uh, draw exactly what? :)
Hmm, odd. Is that definitely the chat font? Because the chat font is red.

But yeah basically they were sticking an underscore in for a few frames and then removing it, to simulate a cursor, and for some reason the underscore never displayed. I just assumed that it wasn't in the font.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Vike the Hube wrote:Hmm, odd. Is that definitely the chat font? Because the chat font is red.

But yeah basically they were sticking an underscore in for a few frames and then removing it, to simulate a cursor, and for some reason the underscore never displayed. I just assumed that it wasn't in the font.
The basic font in gta2 sty tool is that color. The game changes the color for each use. If you happen to know/find/spot the algorithm they use to make the text different colours, please post it, I could maybe use it in TXT2GTA2. :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Sprite 1522 is a minus symbol but I couldn't find any underscore.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:Sprite 1522 is a minus symbol but I couldn't find any underscore.
Perhaps I once made the _ myself for TXT2GTA2. :oops: :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT could be used to create team-specific respawn points?

Could also enable respawning further into a level after you've completed some objectives of a multi-stage level? Racing maps, assault/defend, Jailbreak, maybe other stuff?
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

havn't tried it yet. But this command seems to be very useful for many maps.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It can be used for all that. I think it'd be good for wrap around like in pac-man, go in a tunnel one side and be teleported to a tunnel on the other side of the map.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I have enabled National Guard and uploaded new versions of these levels:
I tested Army Base with Pyro and it now stays in sync with tank guards instead of rocket guards! Tested with a couple more after that. Also tested Jailbreak and it works, although some mission code has a bug which forces your wanted level back down at times.

Only issue is the tanks sometimes don't aim at most threatening player. For example, in Army Base, I ran across the level shooting tanks for a while and none fired back at me. They were all aiming at much more distant players who where the other side of walls, so couldn't even be killed. Ironing that out would be even neater.

(EDIT) Here's myself and Pyro having a barbecue with the National Guard in MultiSlayer City:
Last edited by BenMillard on 29 Aug 2010, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

You still include 6 mmp files with armybase and the multislayer maps. You only need 1 MMP for each map if you remove the playercount line.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

A question for Vike...

Is it possible to get the following:

:arrow: Road Block Tank Man working inside army jeeps? Game crashes if you put them in it normally. Not sure why (seeing as tanks and gun jeeps have turrets).
:arrow: Allowing things like "COLLECT_01" etc to be used with the GIVE_WEAPON command (so as well as GIVE_WEAPON ( name , weapon_name ) also have a GIVE_WEAPON ( name , collect_xx ))? Basically, is it possible to give a player a bonus powerup like double damage or fast reload through the GIVE_WEAPON command?
:arrow: Possible to add "!" and "?" to in-game chat instead of using 1 and 2 respectively?

Mostly novelty features but if it's even remotely do-able will open up even more of GTA2 :)

PS - Loving RBTM from what we've tested it with ;)