vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by Vike the Hube »

That I will.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

How should we migrate existing maps to the single MMP method, where PlayerCount is removed? All the previously released MMPs for that level will still be out there. So releasing new MMPs would actually create even more entries in Game Hunter?

For example, Army Base can use all the same files from 1-6 players thanks to the tank AI fix. If I released a new version which has a single MMP file, there would be 7 army*.mmp files creating 7 entries in the Create Game window of Game Hunter?

Better Solution
Seems to me GH could figure out the supported player counts automatically and collapse the list itself. Thus avoiding the need to re-release 100+ multiplayer levels. Would also avoid a very messy transition as people manually delete obsolete MMP files.

This would work for any level ever release, radically shortening that list.

Specifics
For example, if several MMP files use the same GMP+SCR, you could see which PlayerCount values are used for it. Filtering the list is then quite easy - just show the MMP which had the highest PlayerCount for each GMP. (Absent PlayerCount could be treated as 6-player support.)

You could probably adjust the Description dynamically with reasonable success, so it shows the entire supported range. Only oddity I can think of is GA_Spar. (Or does that use different SCR files? If so, it would get 1 entry per supported PlayerCount which is perfect.)

History Repeating
Did I already suggest this automatic detection of PlayerCount ranges? Maybe about 1 or 2 years ago?

If this approach proved unreliable I'm sure we could refine the logic and make it better.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

That is why i added the line "Deprecated" in the new mmp file standard.
An automatic detection would be better but if it is too hard to implement this is a flexible alternative.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

How does that topic solve the problem of there being 7 MMP files for people who already have Army Base if I re-release it?

How is this a "flexible alternative" if it doesn't solve the problem and requires re-releasing every map ever made for GTA2?

Hint: It is neither flexible nor an alternative.

Did anyone actually try doing it automatically? What were the problems?
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:How does that topic solve the problem of there being 7 MMP files for people who already have Army Base if I re-release it?

How is this a "flexible alternative" if it doesn't solve the problem and requires re-releasing every map ever made for GTA2?

Hint: It is neither flexible nor an alternative.

Did anyone actually try doing it automatically? What were the problems?
if you want... I'm too tired to comment on that.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Sektor has revealed plans for an automated approach to PlayerCount and .mmp files which should work.
Mr Zero

Post by Mr Zero »

Version 11.41 crashes randomly when I play the Downtown district with the following settings (I haven't tried other settings yet): :(

-640x480 resolution
-noon
-exploding scores enabled
-special recognition disabled (what is this actually??)
-gamma value = 10
-fullscreen (does the window mode work at all?)
-framerate limiter enabled

I have Windows 7 Professional (32bit).
Mr Zero

Post by Mr Zero »

Ok, here's some info from Windows event log about the crash:

<removed old info>

The game usually crashes when I try to start a district for the first time, then I restart the game and now everything works. After restarting the computer this happens again.
Last edited by Mr Zero on 13 Dec 2014, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Mr Zero wrote:fullscreen (does the window mode work at all?
Window mode works. It used to require your desktop colours to be set to 16bit but Vike changed it so it works even if desktop is set to 32bit. The only problem is the menu colours aren't correct but the rest of the game looks fine.

Special recognition was just a compatibility work around for some old video cards that no one uses anymore. Best to leave it off but it doesn't seem to make any difference with most video cards.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

MrZero, have you tried upgrading or downgrading your graphics card drivers? Try upgrading first.

Are you using a laptop? Sometimes they use a funky mixture of hardware, with some sub-standard parts, to fit everything inside the small case.
Mr Zero

Post by Mr Zero »

Sektor wrote:
Mr Zero wrote:fullscreen (does the window mode work at all?
Window mode works. It used to require your desktop colours to be set to 16bit but Vike changed it so it works even if desktop is set to 32bit. The only problem is the menu colours aren't correct but the rest of the game looks fine.

Special recognition was just a compatibility work around for some old video cards that no one uses anymore. Best to leave it off but it doesn't seem to make any difference with most video cards.
Thx for the information. :d
BenMillard wrote:MrZero, have you tried upgrading or downgrading your graphics card drivers? Try upgrading first.

Are you using a laptop? Sometimes they use a funky mixture of hardware, with some sub-standard parts, to fit everything inside the small case.
Yes, a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop.

I have also thought that graphics card drivers should be updated as there have been some problems with other games too. I'll try it. :d
AngelDE98
Ped
Ped
GH nick: AngelDE

Post by AngelDE98 »

Why can't I press Escape while Gameplay and then go back to the Menu ? It freezes instantly after switching from Game to the Menu where you can select to start over again ... All I can do is Ctrl Alt Del ! Can you fix it please ? The other Versions do not have Problems ... Thanks verry much :D
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Try running the game in 640x480 and 16bit desktop color. You don't gain any detail by running it higher than 640x480 and if it's too small when running fullscreen then set your Windows display settings to scale the resolution.
AngelDE98
Ped
Ped

Post by AngelDE98 »

WTF ... It could not help me ... But v9.6 works just right ...
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

We'll have to get you to try v11.3 , v11.39, v.11.40 etc to see when the problem was introduced. It might be a problem with Intel graphics cards.
AngelDE98
Ped
Ped

Post by AngelDE98 »

Vike , it " freezes " sometimes when entering the game or sometimes leaving the game . It has a special " Dice Number " ... :?

Edit : I think I got it working for a short time ... For now I just need to use another Language File than English ... :lol:

Good that I just found the German Language File :mrgreen: currently it fixed it somehow ...

Edit 2 : Nevermind ... Forget what I said ... IT CAME BACK :oops:

Edit 3 : I forgot to add that it is on every " Vike Patch "
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

I suggest adding a MMP file entry called "MaxPlayers" that will allow x maximum players to join, removing the need to create one MMP file for each player if your map doesnt allow 6 players.

Example:

Code: Select all

[MapFiles]
GMPFile = pierdolony.gmp
STYFile = chuju.sty
SCRFile = noname.SCR
Description = Pierdolony Chuju
MaxPlayers = 4
this way it would avoid game crashes by allowing over 5 players in in a 4 players level without needing extra MMP Files

I also suggest somebody makes this topic a sticky
You just lost the game.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

what if map is only playable for 2,4,6 players (team dm)
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

then use multiple mmp files :P
You just lost the game.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Yeah I considered doing something like that. If anything I'd make it something like PlayerCount=1-3,5 so you can do whatever with just one mmp file. But doing anything fancy is a major pain in the bum. Not ruling it out for the future though :P