[Request] Possible to change instant gang spawning weapon?

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Hippox77
Mugger
Mugger

[Request] Possible to change instant gang spawning weapon?

Post by Hippox77 »

So I find the dual pistol to be a bit useless for the instant gang power-up in multiplayer, therefore I would like to see it changed to another weapon. Like to the normal pistol.

I've managed to be able to edit maps and compile them, but my skills, so far, ends there. I've read a bit, of course, but I haven't really got much time, ATM.

If something like this has already been done by somebody and in ready-to-share-state I'd be interested. :)

Thanks
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Re: [Request] Possible to change instant gang spawning weapo

Post by CarThief »

Doesnt seem possible to do that without some extensive hacking of the game itself if you ask me.

Best alternative would be to create a script that gives you 4 guys with your skin and weapon of choice. This could be triggered by phone, entering an area/garage or even getting under a floating Instant Gang pickup and having it disappear to fake the act of picking it up, which comes with the disadvantadge of not hearing the announcer say his usual thing when you pick one up normally.

Thats the best workarounds i can think of if you happen to be familiar with GTA2's script.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Scripted gang is probably best like in BFF TAG or the bus gang in DAFE's Death Vally.

Another way to do it would be STORE_LAST_CHAR_PUNCHED and GIVE_WEAPON (punched, machine_gun), so you have to punch your gang members to give them new weapons.
Hippox77
Mugger
Mugger

Post by Hippox77 »

Sektor wrote:Scripted gang is probably best like in BFF TAG or the bus gang in DAFE's Death Vally.

Another way to do it would be STORE_LAST_CHAR_PUNCHED and GIVE_WEAPON (punched, machine_gun), so you have to punch your gang members to give them new weapons.
Punching your gang members to give them a sub-machine gun sounds like a great way to do it. But it sounds a bit too hard for me to do without putting too much time into it. I kinda like that you'd have to spend a short time on equipping them with a better weapon, so it would be a slight trade off (You lose a bit of time equipping them).

Thanks guys
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

That brings me to some interesting ideas... But wouldnt that script arm ANYONE who happens to be punched by the player? That could end up pretty badly, a cop closing in on you and you wanna make a quick punch and run move to minimize damage/not die, and next thing you know he wakes up again and pelts you down with a machine gun! Assuming the storing of the characters does not affect their current in-game roles. I dont think there's a way to check for what kind of character a ped really is, at best there's bonus checks for if you killed say, policemen or other such peds.

This could be interesting in the way of reverse-engineering it into disarming whomever gets hit by it, though. Could be played off as if the strenght of the punch made them drop their gun. Might make a interesting mission mechanic...
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Disarming with punch could be funny but probably too over powered since you would have to remove all weapons (you can add some back but you couldn't save exactly what ammo/weapons they have).

I forgot that you can't punch your instant gang since they are friendly fire protected (electrogun/electrofingers and explosions can still kill them). So that makes scripted gang best.

I tried using CHECK_CHAR_CURR_WEAPON on a ped but it crashes. I thought that could be used to check if punched PED was a cop. I don't know anyway to check a PED occupation/remap. That command only exists for vehicles.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

The BONUS system has a parameter for DAMAGE_TYPE which includes BY_PUNCH. It also lets you check by character OCCUPATION and gang_name.

So you can set the BONUS to pass after a single gang character is punched. Use STORE_LAST_CHAR_PUNCHED and recruit the stored character into your private gang with ADD_EXISTING_CHAR_TO_GROUP.

Then start the BONUS again to recruit the next random gang character.

Using CHECK_CHAR_CURR_WEAPON on the player lets you see what they are carrying at any moment. A long, hard-coded list could GIVE_WEAPON the same thing to all your private gang members.

There's a limit of 10 members in each of these private gangs, though? GTASA has a limit to gang size, too. In that game, set in 1992, you recruit by aiming at them and press a button. In the future, being initiated into a (probably quite short) life of crime is a bit more 'hands-on'.

Wishlist
We could do so much more in this space with multiplayer-friend BONUS system. Many, many ideas I've had and seen on here become possible if we had that. The problem is it doesn't have a parameter to assign the BONUS to a specific character: it's always the 'local player'.

History
I hacked ambient missions into GTA1 via mission.ini using invalid negative line numbers to identify peds. It would choose the next civilian to be spawned on foot. Sometimes flicked between a various peds for a few seconds. Storing the car the player just stole was another way to trigger missions, a bit like the way GTA3 onwards do this for government vehicles for Vigilante, Paramedic and Firefighter missions.

Of course, GTA1 had RC Cars with bombs available as KILL FRENZY side missions, available at any time. GTA3 brought them back but it was only used during the storyline in GTAVC and GTASA, not available at any time. Even though you owned whole god-damn shop of RC equipment in GTASA...

The way GTA2 does it for buses and taxis is a precursor to the later games. It inspired me to try more advanced situations in GTA1.