What is Fair Credit for GTA2 Tool Makers?

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Re: What is Fair Credit for GTA2 Tool Makers?

Post by Pyro »

To further expand on my previous comments about giving credit:

Like I mentioned, I only list the relevant people who have helped tested/contributed something to a project that I've done and sometimes define a bunch of player testers as just "testers" unless, like I said, helped in a meaningful way (specific bug report, helping fix something and so on) other than general feedback.

I do, however, as an example, think it is a bit overkill on MultiSlayer listing 248 people (not counted myself), some of who might have only played it once and makes a massive wall of text under the pictures :P Not bashing MS by any means, but I think in this case it highlights a case of too much credit.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

Nobody has to credit anyone, it just can make you a dick not to.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Salamander wrote:Nobody has to credit anyone, it just can make you a dick not to.
Thats pretty much what i think too. It doesnt bother me if someone doesnt credit, but when he acts like a dick while refusing to credit when asked nicely, thats what bothers me...
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

tl;dr
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Didn't read? Don't reply.

OT: long story made short, I simply agree with Pyro on this.
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Pyro wrote:I do, however, as an example, think it is a bit overkill on MultiSlayer listing 248 people (not counted myself), some of who might have only played it once and makes a massive wall of text under the pictures :P Not bashing MS by any means, but I think in this case it highlights a case of too much credit.
If I credit every tool I use to make screenshots, code, the readme file, the web page, the forum topic and the level itself, it really adds up. Probably a list of 20-50 things for each map I make. (With differences between them, so copy-paste would sadly be impossible.)

That seems like an unreasonable amount of admin for a hobby, done in snippets of spare time, for fun.

So the question is: how thorough/relaxed can credit be and still be considered fair? Fair for the people who want/deserve credit and fair for those who have to to do all the boring admin.

If "fair credit" also includes providing a link, that adds a decade-long maintenance worry on top of the initial admin.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMindfuck wrote:If I credit every tool I use to make screenshots, code, the readme file, the web page, the forum topic and the level itself, it really adds up. Probably a list of 20-50 things for each map I make. (With differences between them, so copy-paste would sadly be impossible.)
You are fucking hilarious. :lol:

Your mindset in short:
1) If i have to credit someone, i have to credit everyone.
2) Because crediting everyone would take forever, i cant credit you, TM. :ugeek:

Nobody gives a shit if you credit Notepad, Firefox or Zip format inventor because you use those, lol...

There is a name for this illness you have, its called "being a dick". Unfortunately, i dont think there is a cure for it, which why i already told you: i dont care, nobody here cares, nobody can change your mind, you will be like that for life. Stop wasting our time and ask Sektor to delete this topic and we can all live happily ever after.

Or there is a simpler explanation: umad. Which is still very strong candidate, knowing the type what you are: grudges lasts forever with people like you. Nevertheless, get a shrink!
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

T.M. wrote:...ask Sektor to delete this topic and we can all live happily ever after.
I think we might be on the same page for once :P

Seriously though, this is getting a bit out of hand. Some interesting bits here and there in this topic but it's knee deep with the rest in crap!
BenMillard wrote:If "fair credit" also includes providing a link, that adds a decade-long maintenance worry on top of the initial admin.
Keeping track of links for the creators is pretty pointless. Besides, any people making maps and stuff will either come to GTA Forums or here at GTAMP to post it unless it's some really obscure map that people distribute between themselves. Again, this comes back to having too much credit, see my previous post on what/how I credit.

Seriously, we do this for fun and doesn't need to be a chore to ensure that a readme/credits have links that work correctly linking to files or programs used until the end of time. Nowadays a quick Google search will usually pick stuff like this up anyway for those who want more information. An example like this is fine.
BenMillard wrote:So the question is: how thorough/relaxed can credit be and still be considered fair? Fair for the people who want/deserve credit and fair for those who have to to do all the boring admin.
Credits should just be that - short,to the point and relevant, and not a freakin' disseration :P If someone asks to be included then I don't see why not, and in this case and topic (pretty much most of this topic actually) just add TM to credits and be done with it so we can prevent World War III breaking out! Significant testers or programs are good to mention, but one game only play testers can just be categorised as "General Testers" or something.

Dismissed!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Creating this topic would have taken more "creative time" than it would to credit people who ask. None of us can use lack of time as an excuse to avoid giving credit because there is is evidence of everyone here wasting time.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

T.M. wrote:Your mindset in short:
1) If i have to credit someone, i have to credit everyone.
2) Because crediting everyone would take forever, i cant credit you, TM. :ugeek:
Wrong again. Please stop spamming everyone with this nonsense. I've been patient but it's making a fool of you.

Sektor, I haven't spent much time in this thread. Which is a shame, as it could have saved a lot of effort for everyone over the next few years. (Tool makers wouldn't have to spam every modder who used their tool; modders wouldn't have to audit all the tools they use per-level and publish it in 3 places.)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Wrong again. Please stop spamming everyone with this nonsense. I've been patient but it's making a fool of you.
You can keep trolling me, or you can just admit being a dick. Which one you choose?
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Not sure how many times I have to repeat myself, but credit what is relevant like I do if you want, and if someone specifically wants to be added then just add them and be done with it.

Again, something like Google will help people find stuff if links are out of date.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Heh:
BenMillard wrote:But when using TM's Epic GTA2 Map Editor (which requires credit upon every use, apparently)
This is not what i said. Keep trolling me sir!

I asked you to put my tool link in your website, ONLY in your website! but you keep making crazy stories about that you should put links to Readme.txt and credit my tools every place you use them.

Looks like you are in a corner where you cant get out any other way than just trolling the hell out and making me look fool by talking shit about me to everyone, because you got nothing else on me, nothing.

I hate to repeat my self as much as Pyro, but i'll say it again: u mad.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

T.M. wrote:I asked you to put my tool link in your website, ONLY in your website!
That's not what your PMs to me said. (Or should that say PMS?)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:That's not what your PMs to me said.
Thats exactly what my PM (note, one PM) said to you.

Sektor can go check it for you if you dont see things correctly at the moment with all your LSD and other drugs what ever you are smoking.
BenMillard wrote:(Or should that say PMS?)
oh yes umad. :D
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Seriously, is this ever going to end? I'm pretty confident the main points have been (somehow) talked about.

T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

It wont end until Ben has owned me;

Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Pyro wrote: Image
I would expect this from elypter, but not from you ಠ_ಠ
You just lost the game.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

so, you expect me to?

:P
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

^ I'd not.

Please don't transform this into a pony thread, please keep the good old stupid arguing running. No more ponies.
You just lost the game.