.sty file editing

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

.sty file editing

Post by Lantyz »

I recently decided to try something new and started messing around with the .sty files using Delfi's Sty Tool. After some messing around I figured out the basics of replacing textures, but unsurprisingly the palettes cause me some troubles.
Importing a new texture for a car and adding a new palette for it goes fine, but I can add only so much palettes. How do I create a palette that can be used for more cars, like the default cars? This would be even more crucial to be able to change a lot of tiles.

Car modding used to be quite popular back in the days, but nevertheless it's hard to find anything on the subject. I thought Gouranga.com and its forums had some information and topics about .sty editing, but sadly, the mother of the GTA community seems to have passed away recently.
Are there any tutorials left, or is there someone with some knowledge willing to share it?
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Re: .sty file editing

Post by Razor »

I have the same problem :I think that .pal conerter in delfi editor is lame. Also I tried to convert .pal in another software but it didnt much too.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I always click "Cancel" to the box which Sty Tool displays. Dunno if that helps you.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lantyz »

No, I think I figured that out.
"Yes" means you want Sty Tool to create a new palette: in the next window you're able to select the palette you want to replace. Sty Tool will then create a palette on its own, using the colors of the bmp.
"No" means you want to use one of the palettes already in the palclut: in the next window you're able to select one of the available palettes.
"Cancel" means you want to use the palette already used by the texture.

The problem is that there is no option to create a palette for multiple textures, or to convert textures to the original palettes. This probably has to be done manually using a graphics program, but I have no idea how.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

I always wondered how Pyro did that the bus Remap is different than the brown :)

Any Ideas?
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lantyz »

That's easy. The Bus already has several remaps, but only the brown remap is used for buses that appear at bus stops. Pyro simply checked the box "should this car appear on roads" in the car editor of Sty Tool. If you want even more remaps, you can add numbers to the list in the tab "remaps" in the car editor. A list of available colors can be found here, although not all colors will work with all cars.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

that is nice but then bus stops wont work :)
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lantyz »

The bus stops work, but only the brown buses will stop to pick up passengers.

New problem: I thought that you can use an original palette if you create a texture using only the colors in that palette. But when I export a tile, change it using only colors already used by the tile, and import it, its colors are still all messed up if I use the original palette. What gives?

EDIT: it gets even weirder. If I export a vehicle and import the exact same image without touching the palette, the colors end up scrambled as well.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lantyz »

Never mind, I figured it out. Exporting the palettes with STYed and importing them into a graphics editor which can handle palettes (like Paint Shop Pro) does the trick. It's actually quite simple.

Screen of the GTA1 Beast GTS in GTA2, complete with remaps and deltas:
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

everything is here: http://earth.solardns.com/~gouranga/azz ... a2:editing :) today i found it too
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lantyz »

Ah, good to see the content of GTAzz isn't lost. : -) Thanks for sharing that link.

By the way, and completely offtopic, is that "The Rock" in your avatar? : -P
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

:arrow: yes :P