Gameplay issues that need fixing

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Gameplay issues that need fixing

Post by Lantyz »

BenMillard wrote:(EDIT) Maybe a "to-do list" of widely agreed, undesirable gameplay glitches would be useful? Actually fixing them is the target, with double-jump and flamer crash at the top.
I wrote down several bugs and exploits some time ago, so we might as well go from there. It's an indiscriminating list of things I suspect are not planned by DMA, so a lot of them are probably difficult or even impossible to fix. I'm also aware of the fact that some of these issues may be controversial to some, but lets quarrel over what actually needs to be fixed later. Note that this list is a collection: a lot of issues are phrased by others.
  • Weapon issues:
    • A rocket fired while leaving your car always goes south.
    • Punching a player who tries to steal your car instantly kills him/her.
    • Giving cars weapons directly will always give them the standard amount of ammo, which is particularly awkward in the case of 50 (instant) vehicle bombs.
    • Not all armed NPCs will drop their weapon after being killed.
    • You can't place more than 99 oil slicks in a level; the oldest will disappear when you drop more.
    • A mine will disappear without an explosion if a wreck is pushed over it.
    • Tank gun doesn't fire continuously when holding down fire key like the normal rocket launcher does.
    • Double damage does not effect fist, rocket launcher, grenades or molotov cocktails (and maybe more?)
    • You'll get a wanted level when cops see you while holding down the attack key to throw a molotov cocktail or grenade, instead of when you actually throw it.
    • Using the flamethrower while entering a car crashes the game.
    • Some weapons have a long reload time before you can fire them the first time. For example, the rocket launcher sometimes takes 2x reload time, even when given from script continuously.)
  • RC car issues:
    • Getting your remote control car destroyed in multiplayer is considered as getting killed, essentially making it impossible to leave your RC car without sacrificing a frag.
    • Player arrows still point to players with an RC car in stead of said RC car.
    • Miniature RC cars can run peds over, but not shoot them with vehicle machine guns. Vice versa would be more logical.
    • Cops behave strange near RC cars controlled by players with a wanted level.
  • Bugs involving falling down:
    • Getting thrown of a 2+ block height by an explosion won't kill you.
    • Falling in a certain way makes players invulnerable.
    • Falling onto peds makes you jump instead of pushing peds away.
    • Players get stuck underneath the level after falling of an edge backwards, and then walking forwards while falling before hitting the opposite wall.
  • Slope issues:
    • Cars bounce of diagonal walls.
    • Diagonal walls can't be transparent.
    • 'Half' block faces in slopes of two or eight blocks can't have a tile.
    • You can walk on top of a complete diagonal block, in stead of only the solid part.
    • You can't walk or drive up a cornered slope.
    • Sloped surfaces don't cause "snap", that is, your car won't align with sloped roads.
    • Skidmarks don't show up on slopes.
    • Trains are invisible on slopes.
    • Traffic won't spawn on slopes.
    • Walls after slopes won't stop you if the block after the slope is set to air or is empty.
    • Players sometimes appear on top of roof tiles above a slope.
  • Sound issues:
    • When you pick up an object, sometimes the wrong sound plays or a sound plays with the wrong pitch.
    • An "ambient" sound may play along with the pick-up sound when you pick something up.
  • Gang issues:
    • Gang members only use their first weapon on multiplayer.
    • The respect-o-meter appears on top of the names and scores of multiplayer-opponents.
  • Map design issues:
    • Players can get stuck under a level (notoriously in an open garage in Residential and on a bridge in Hidden Surprise), often leaving suicide as the only option for a player.
    • It is impossible to use the invisibility pick-up near Alma Mater State Prison in Residential.
    • The multipliers and extra live power-ups in Residential are useless in multiplayer.
  • Cosmetic issues:
    • Miniature cars retain regular sized mounted guns (Tank, Armed Land Roamer, Fire Truck), gang logo's and other gizmo's.
    • Cars still have a shadow in mid-air.
    • Transparent ('flat') surfaces, particularly often transparent slopes sometimes suddenly show up as black.
    • The 'damaged roof' delta of cars is unused.
  • Misc issues:
    • High frag counts can cause the wrong player to get the frag, suicides when it should be a frag, impossible to be hit by rockets and other weird glitches.
    • Getting out of a car when driving into the water may result in more than one suicide at once.
    • If your jump is interrupted, a new jump starts automatically after the interruption ends
    • Instant gang members won't get in declared cars.
    • CHARs never go on a train.
    • CHARs have trouble passing DOORs.
    • Dummy drivers still stop for invisible players.
    • Health and armor of peds can't be manipulated by script.
    • A wreck placed ingame with a script will crash the game when it explodes.
    • Getting hit prevents you from jumping.
    • Players are invulnerable while being pushed by an explosion.
    • Peds interacting with objects such as footballs gives strange results.
See also: Collection of gta scripting and map weirdness
Last edited by Lantyz on 09 Oct 2012, 17:07, edited 11 times in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Gameplay issues that need fixing

Post by Cuban-Pete »

When getting out of a car when driving into the water can get you stuck and steal all lives... :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

These are part of the gameplay and are not unfair either. They give the game a bit more tactical depth and should thus not be removed:
  • Invulnerability* doesn't protect players from falling to their deaths, drowning or the electrogun.
  • A rocket fired while leaving your car always goes south.
  • Punching a player who tries to steal your car instantly kills him/her.
  • Getting thrown of a 2+ block height by an explosion won't kill you.
  • When getting out of a car when driving into the water can get you stuck and steal all lives -> thats important for the epic fragroll, so please keep it.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Haha, why would you need more than 99 oil slicks?
Punching a player who tries to steal your car instantly kills him/her.
Are there girls in the game? :shock:
I kinda like this one a lot. It prevents people from stealing your car.

These two look to me to be the most important ones to get fixed:

# Using the flamethrower while entering a car crashes the game.
# Dummy drivers still stop for invisible players.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

Cuban-Pete wrote:# Dummy drivers still stop for invisible players.
i know a way to make dummy drivers never stop for players ;)
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

My additions, corrections and votes:
  • Please add the double-jump bug near the top of that list.
  • Make all weapons "locked and loaded" the moment you get them. (Rocket launcher sometimes takes 2x reload time before it shoots the first rocket, even when given from script continuously.)
  • Holding down Ctrl (shoot button) should make Tank shoot continuously. (Same way Rocket Launcher does.)
  • Suggest you rewrite "Getting thrown of a 2+ block height by an explosion won't kill you." to say "Players are invulnerable while being pushed by an explosion - up to and including weapons going straight through them and Electro not "locking on". (It's a much bigger effect than you are currently saying.)
  • Falling is buggy in many ways.
  • Please add: "Falling in a certain way makes players invulnerable."
  • Falling onto peds makes you jump. Would be nicer if they were pushed away by you, like when you are running.
  • Some weapons are boosted by Fast Reload and/or Double Damage, others are not. (Probably best that way, though?)
Invulnerability* does protect you from high falls. Get the one in Face Off and jump from any roof near the Electro Gun. Or get the one in Tiny Town and jump from towers near Flamethrower.

The most widely agreed and annoying bugs should go to the top. Only the 100% agreed bugs should be fixed, imho.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

BenMillard wrote: Invulnerability* does protect you from high falls. Get the one in Face Off and jump from any roof near the Electro Gun. Or get the one in Tiny Town and jump from towers near Flamethrower.
Indeed, but in the PSX version if you fall from Z-level 5 or 6 you will still die. And, in the PC version, if you fall above a car from Z-level 5+ while invulnerable, you will still die, IIRC it also happens if you fall above a ped
You just lost the game.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

When you pickup an object, sometimes the wrong sound plays or a sound plays with the wrong pitch.
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

And an "ambient" sound may also play along with the pickup sound when you pick something up

example: youre driving around and a driver says "Asshole!" and right after that you pick up a rocket launcher, you wont hear only the dude saying "Rocker Launcher!", but you'll hear:

"(asshole!)Rocket Launcher!"
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Gustavob wrote:And, in the PC version, if you fall above a car from Z-level 5+ while invulnerable, you will still die.
Hmm, a good place to test that is the Hospital tower in the East of MultiSlayer city. There's an Invulnerability right at the top. Thought you just jumped when falling onto cars from up there.

We shouldn't worry about the Playstation version, at least in this thread.

(EDIT) Invulnerability* also doesn't protect against:
  • Being inside a car which gets destroyed. (You could be thrown out of the car. Same effect as when a car blows up, once you've gotten into it and nearly closed the door.)
  • Being inside a car which drowns. (The car could drive on water. Or it could throw you out before it has sunk.)
  • Drowning in water. (You should be able to walk on water, until it runs out.)
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

I think I should merge/make this my to do list. I.e. so people say "ooh do this" and I prioritise the first post. etc etc.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

RC carbombs count as a suicide when you detonate them. Their damage should be separate from the player who is controlling them, as the player remains alive even when the RC car is destroyed.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

If the damage was separate could you still detect when an RC car had died and force the suicide? I think you could, just want confirmation...
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but, I'll put it here also...

NPC's will never get on a train even if they are following you (they usually get 'stuck' outside the train doors and usually electrocuted). Even trying to force a check of if a player is in a car, saving that to a counter and forcing NPC's to enter the car will not work.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

BenMillard wrote:RC carbombs count as a suicide when you detonate them.
Already on the list.
Pyro wrote:NPC's will never get on a train even if they are following you
Added. This also reminds me that I once had some trouble with getting a CHAR get through a DOOR with the closing_type set to "ONE_CHAR_ON_FOOT".
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Lantyz wrote: Added. This also reminds me that I once had some trouble with getting a CHAR get through a DOOR with the closing_type set to "ONE_CHAR_ON_FOOT".
I think doors can only be entered by the ped who opened them?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Perhaps we should make the list shorter or special list that is most urgent so that it doesn't look so aggressive.

What about this "urgent list":

1) Using the flamethrower while entering a car crashes the game.
2) Dummy drivers stop for invisible players.
A rocket fired while leaving your car always goes south.
Haha, that is just the special rocket iron that is magnetically always north en therefore gets pulled to the south. It is part of the gta2 universe. Just as the sun also always shines on the same side of the world. :geek:
Gustavob
Immortal
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Sloped surfaces don't cause "snap", that is, your car won't align with sloped roads.
You just lost the game.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

• Traffic does not spawn on sloped roads.
  • Trains are invisible when they move along slopes. (GTA1 has many sloped railways which work.)
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Haha if you guys think this list is "aggressive" you should see my list ;-)

No the main problem is not the size of the list, it's the lack of size of my free time.