GTA Maps Site (NEW)

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Dont_have_yet

GTA Maps Site (NEW)

Post by Shazdeh »

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, I didn't have access to the internet.
Now, I'm working on the GTAMaps site, it's almost done, and I need some questions to be answered.
Does the site need a news section? or it's just shows the map?
How does the list maps page look like? We discuss the general layout in the previous topic but not the internal content. What I mean is, what informations does the user see in the list maps page? A tiny screenshot with a title or maybe name of author? What is the general size of screenshot?
Anything else? Something I missed?
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Re: GTA Maps Site (NEW)

Post by Razor »

Does the site need a news section? or it's just shows the map?
i think recent map would be prefect instead of news selection.
How does the list maps page look like? We discuss the general layout in the previous topic but not the internal content. What I mean is, what informations does the user see in the list maps page? A tiny screenshot with a title or maybe name of author? What is the general size of screenshot?
i think list should have:

1. mapname
2. author
3. short description
4. thumbinal
5. size
6. rating (if there is any rating system)
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

...all of which is already provided on Sektor's GTA2 !maps page.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

Ok. Will there be any discussion thing for individual maps? I think you are familiar with WordPress comment system. Shall the site use it?

This is what I came up for listing map page. It's not completely done, but are you ok with the layout?

In the current settings, the image in the left should be 100*100. Is that ok?
And, that sidebar over the right. Should I remove it? If not, what to put in there?
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Ideas for categories were discussed at length a few months back.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

I don't remember that, but it has categories. And you can filter them down. And for the search, there you can search in specific categories too.

What I wanna know is that does the index page shows all the information or users should click to go in individual pages to see them. Like download link, screenshots...
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

HINT: Use the "Search" feature to find answers.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

Ben, I have no idea what you're talking about. You mean the categories? It's implemented. Done. Are you saying to use search to find the answer of how the site should be? That hasn't been discussed before. And, if you do not tell me how the site is supposed to be, how do I gonna build it?

You can see the screenshot above. The site is almost done, users can send maps, you can define screenshots for it, advanced search is available, there is RSS feed for maps, and...
So, I'm ready to rock. Could you please install a fresh WordPress (3.0) on your server and give me admin access to upload the theme?
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

But who said we want the maps page to look like that? I think that design looks terrible, good for underaged girls and choirboys.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

I have a really bad feeling that I'm not welcome here. Have I done something wrong?
OK. Seems to me I am wasting my time. I'll delete the files and forget everything.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

I'm sure you're welcome, its just that you seem to be forcing a maps page style on us that as far as I know you never consulted with anyone, and I don't like it, it looks pansy and bloated. I'm not saying I like the way it currently looks, but I don't like the suggested 'improvement' either.
Shazdeh
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Shazdeh »

No, I'm not forcing anything. layout has been approved here: http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136 and I opened this topic to ask how the map listing page should be.
So, if the current design doesn't look good, how should it be? I'm open to any suggestion!
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

Ah, we had a misunderstanding, when you say "gta2 maps site" I thought you meant the gtamp one, not a new one.

The GTA2 Maps logo is very nice, but I would eliminate the big chunk of wasted screen space beneath it (the large image). Keep things compact and simple. Huge headers are good for stupid clients, stupid bosses and other such laymen. GTA2 map makers and downloaders do not need to be "impressed" that way, and it will just force us to have to scroll down past it every single time. Not only is it unnecessary, but it's also ugly :]

I would also reduce padding in the menu buttons, they seem out of proportion.

What will you put on the "Home" page? What will the majority of your website visitors do there? If they will come to download maps, then the main page should not be some general intro, but the page for downloading maps.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

my suggestion: leave the home page as it is(in the picture above) but do not make it the default site. make the map page the default site instead.
Maybe make that image a bit more subtle and put it somehow in the background
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

I don't know how you planed to manage the information about each map but i suggest to consider to read and write information to the .mmp file.
It is being discussed as standard for storing information about maps here:
http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=188

Even if you don't want to use it on your site it would be nice to share your thoughts if you have an idea what to add or to change concerning this standard.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

The ultra-compact layout of !maps is great when a game is about to start and you need to get a level fast in order to join in.