fully equipped gta2

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

fully equipped gta2

Post by elypter »

besides all versions of gta2 it includes several tools, gamehunter and all maps(including preview images) that i could find.
If a map is missing or outdated please tell me.

http://elypter.net84.net/gta2.tk/packs.html#onlinep
The folder can be used directly after extracting. No installation required.

Don't take this as official or complete, its rather a try.

please give me some feedback. because of the big variety and amount of files errors are inevitable.

Edit:
logically, when having version incompatibilities, the one on the forum or the creators site is the most up to date ;)
Last edited by elypter on 31 Oct 2010, 21:37, edited 5 times in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: fully equipped gta2

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks, but I can't open it. Something goes wrong with downloading. It says its 53MB, but I get 13-15MB or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it's not my fault, all other stuff downloads correctly.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i test the download. if its not working ill upload it somewhere else.
Edit:
I tested it and it works but i uploaded a mirror:
http://giantgta.elypter.square7.net/complete_pack.7z (offline)
it should be available in some minutes
Last edited by elypter on 23 Jul 2010, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Can you upload a list of the files? You can make a list by running cmd.exe and typing:

dir "c:\yourgta2folder" /s/a/og/b > c:\filelist.txt

I can see the need for having all maps in one easy download but it can be hard to keep it up to date and some map authors might not want their maps included.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

originally i wanted to use a php script to generate the package but none of the freehosters that i know(and still exist) allow cli which would be required to use 7zip. The other option is a *.zip archive. But most hosters have a size limit for edited files. this way updating would be relatively easy.
the other thing: If an author doesn't want his map being included i take it out. It's just such a big effort to contact every author in advance, especially those whose maps havn't been updated for years. Assuming that most authors don't have a problem with that i hope that we can run a reclamation based attempt.
Attachments
manual_comp_files.zip
generated with directory opus
(58.68 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

OK, I'm noticing quite a few recent projects have forgotten basic rules of the community.

1. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK.

You must get for permission BEFORE you distribute anybody else's work. If a level gets updated, there are 20+ places where old versions of it still exist! Only the author can decide if that's OK for their level.

Usually, you should just provide a link to the most widely used version. We already have the !maps page by Sektor. And this forum acts as a hub to find new or WIP levels.

Please think this stuff through.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

I do not want to steal anybodies work. With such a big map pack it should be self-explanatory that i do not claim having made them myself.
One the one hand i just wanted to make the start for newcomers as easy as possible. And include maps that only not played because nobody has it.
On the other hand i made this because not every map is available on the the big map pages and many not the gtamp maps page.

The main problem of communities is that all the work that has been done is scattered over forums and webpages and hard to find. These maps are made to be played on. The main reason for a map not being played is that most people don't have it.

My opinion:
-distributing maps with removing author information/ not mentioning it where it is possible : bad
-distributing maps where the author is strictly against it : bad
-modifying a maps and releasing it under your name : really bad
-modifying a map and releasing it without explicit permission : really not polite. maybe acceptable if the author isn't reachable anymore and if his name is put everywhere where the new author puts his name(including a description who has done what)
-just packaging to save newcomers the work of downloading every file individually : don't see a problem

About "up-to-dateness":
my attempt is not to create another bunch of outdated material. Originally i wanted to use a php script that could generate the whole package automatically out of various sources but i did not find a suitable freehoster. Maybe i could run it on my desktop ... and i have also other ideas achieving that.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

I have now asked everyone and let them a lot of time to answer. But as expected many did not.
Before i proceed i want to ask everybody if you know another way to contact those who were unreachable.
here is the thread: http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=211
yur sa'nok ngeyä