Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:I recorded the video again with better coordinates and infinite water:
Epic! Second video is better. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:I hijacked the Epic GTA2 Map Editor 3D camera and took it for a ride with the GTA2 engine [remote] :)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! AVVVesome with triple-u! (new letter invented just for this) :o :o :o
Sektor wrote:Is it possible to start Epic GTA2 Map Editor with most of the windows turned off and camera set to a specific view? If there's no setting for it then it would be great if you could add it. I don't know if I've said it before but your editor is amazing, so many features, so much work and it runs really fast.
Yes you should be able to make it render just the map, and even turn it into fullscreen mode if i remember correctly. I think you can define camera starting coordinates in settings.cfg if i remember correctly. I think you're amazing ;)

Edit: looks like xpos and ypos is missing from settings.cfg, i can add them immediately if it still compiles after few years :D
Sektor wrote:We'll have to talk about the best way our apps can communicate or how I should fix my code so you can actually use it.
What would be best way in your opinion? I dont know almost anything about app2app communications. I havent looked at the code yet, what seems to be the problem? How would you want to use it?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Looks like some of the windows on the editor cannot be hidden from settings.cfg, i will try to add those settings ASAP!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Welcome back, where have you been? I thought you would have viewed this weeks ago :)

I think it's just left menu and the script preview that I can't hide in settings.cfg. camera.dat saves my 3D view but I have to manually load it, so a settings.cfg option to load camera.dat on launch would be good.

Can you add rocket and bullet object?

All these would be good too but I think I will have trouble syncing the electrogun.

ROCKET
BULLET
PISTOL_BULLET
FLAMING_BULLET
TASER_BULLET
SHOT
WATER_BULLET
FIRE

I want to sync all the objects, peds, vehicles. At the moment, I have to find the memory address for each one in your editor but that's tedious and those addresses could change when you update/recompile the editor. I could turn gta2xyz into a DLL that you could load and read all the object coordinates from. I'm really new at C++ and I didn't even use classes or multiple files in my code, so I'll have to rewrite it.

I've never used proper app2app communication with sockets or DDE or whatever. A cheat way is to create a hidden textbox and use WM_GETTEXT but that's really dodgy and not very fast.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

DDE is awful. The keyword you're after is IPC :D JSON-RPC over sockets has worked reasonably well for me in the past- there are heaps of libraries available. It might not be the best choice for local interaction but it's definitely simple.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:Welcome back, where have you been? I thought you would have viewed this weeks ago :)
Oh yeah sorry took around 2 weeks! :shock: I guess i have just been outside of the internet too long!
Sektor wrote:I think it's just left menu and the script preview that I can't hide in settings.cfg. camera.dat saves my 3D view but I have to manually load it, so a settings.cfg option to load camera.dat on launch would be good.
Heh, i already forgot such file existed, camera.dat i mean. :D I guess i could make a setting for loading that file
Sektor wrote:Can you add rocket and bullet object?
Hmm... i think i was working on those before but never released... sure i can, my time is just very limited atm.

I also worked on sounds, not sure if they work on the release version.
Sektor wrote: All these would be good too but I think I will have trouble syncing the electrogun.

ROCKET
BULLET
PISTOL_BULLET
FLAMING_BULLET
TASER_BULLET
SHOT
WATER_BULLET
FIRE

I want to sync all the objects, peds, vehicles. At the moment, I have to find the memory address for each one in your editor but that's tedious and those addresses could change when you update/recompile the editor. I could turn gta2xyz into a DLL that you could load and read all the object coordinates from. I'm really new at C++ and I didn't even use classes or multiple files in my code, so I'll have to rewrite it.
Indeed memory addresses wouldnt be very good idea. How would you control those objects in my editor? Because i cant just spawn one bullet there which you control. And how would it disappear?
Sektor wrote:I've never used proper app2app communication with sockets or DDE or whatever. A cheat way is to create a hidden textbox and use WM_GETTEXT but that's really dodgy and not very fast.
Textbox, funny hack idea :D might just work!

Could someone find out the best way and brief me about it, so i can quickly do these things next time i got some time?
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Actually quickest/easiest way is probably Windows Messages. You're not transferring much data, they're fast, and you already have to deal with them. TM just defines WM_PLAYER1XY = WM_USER+1, WM_PLAYER1ZA = WM_USER+2, then pass in X/Y/Z/A as wParam and lParam. Define a message or probably a pair for each object type and bam.

eejit edit:
You can pass pointers to windows messages... so TM could receive WM_UPDATEOBJECTPOS (WM_USER+1), wParam=objTypeEnum, lParam = pointer to data for that objtype. Just use sendmessage, and TM has to copy the data when he receives it- SendMessage messages occur in the thread of the calling process (Sektor's code in this case, so his pointer is valid).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

since playing gta2 on linux works well i was curious whether it would be possible to do modding on linux too. i tried all important tools and it turns out that only the miss2 compiler(mayor problem but that might change with b$heps compiler) and your editor have problems. it crashes when the main window starts trying to display something(after "loading" is displayed). its not super important because the linux gta2 modding scene is probably rather small ;) but i thought you might be interested.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Might be related to omnitude.net going offline soon as Vike informed me a while ago. Noticed some stuff isnt there anymore. You may send the crashlog via PM if that helps.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I still get asked to update the coordinate sync tool but I've been waiting on T.M. to update his editor. Any hope?
WATCH_DOGS 2
Ped
Ped

Post by WATCH_DOGS 2 »

Sektor wrote: 11 Jan 2016, 12:21 I hijacked the Epic GTA2 Map Editor 3D camera and took it for a ride with the GTA2 engine
Knock-knock! Hello from the last third of 2021!

Sektor, I'd like to thank you for your experiment "back in the day" (and T.M. for the map editor)! Tried this trick out a couple of hours ago. Looks really cool!

I think this is the only place on earth for asking my question (unsuccessful googling proved that). Do you happen to know, if it's possible to do this camera sync in a little opposite way? I mean, can we have a first/third person camera in GTA II game itself? Maybe it's more related to tweaking the game, rather than Epic GTA2 Map Editor, but still...

Here is an example. A guy called Dark_Timur did this for GTA: Chinatown Wars (although this game is "much more 3D" and has a different environment, meaning PPSSPP + ArtMoney) 5 years ago:
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It's beyond my skill level. If you did just change the camera angle in GTA2, I'm sure it would be poorly optimised and very buggy.

If anyone can do it, it's the https://github.com/h0x91b/gta2-resurection team. Join their discord and ask: https://discord.com/invite/dUCcccp
Pizzadox
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Pizzadox

Post by Pizzadox »

WATCH_DOGS 2 wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 21:10
Sektor wrote: 11 Jan 2016, 12:21 I hijacked the Epic GTA2 Map Editor 3D camera and took it for a ride with the GTA2 engine
Knock-knock! Hello from the last third of 2021!

Sektor, I'd like to thank you for your experiment "back in the day" (and T.M. for the map editor)! Tried this trick out a couple of hours ago. Looks really cool!

I think this is the only place on earth for asking my question (unsuccessful googling proved that). Do you happen to know, if it's possible to do this camera sync in a little opposite way? I mean, can we have a first/third person camera in GTA II game itself? Maybe it's more related to tweaking the game, rather than Epic GTA2 Map Editor, but still...

Here is an example. A guy called Dark_Timur did this for GTA: Chinatown Wars (although this game is "much more 3D" and has a different environment, meaning PPSSPP + ArtMoney) 5 years ago:
its not a good idea at all.. just basic logic, cars in gta 2 are flat 2D, it would look like crap
i bang hoes
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sorry, been AFK so long... send PM to get my facebook to talk to me.

Its great to see here people are inspired of my work! That is what i want... to inspire.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I have been thinking to do javascript version of this editor, would be cool. Anyone yet done it?
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

IMHO maybe you should first finish this one (win32) and then make JS.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
Pizzadox
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Pizzadox

Post by Pizzadox »

T.M. wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 00:02 I have been thinking to do javascript version of this editor, would be cool. Anyone yet done it?
nah, you done enough already haha
but really tho
i bang hoes