Greedy Car Thieves

Talk about any other games here
chomzee
Ped
Ped

Greedy Car Thieves

Post by chomzee »

Welcome everybody,

I would like to introduce you to a game that is currently being developed, but a playable beta version is available already. We would like to invite you to tests and ask you to share your opinions with us. At the moment there is only a multi-player version available (it's the one that gives most fun after all!), yet in the final version there will most probably be included a single-player campaign.

WWW: http://gct-game.net/

We're waiting for you!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: A new game inspired by GTA2

Post by Sektor »

Linked on: http://gtamp.com

You've clearly put a lot of effort into this. Great job!

Can you make a mode with GTA2 style controls (no mouse aiming)? The GTA2 rotational movement makes combat very different to most games and it's a big part of why I like it.

The car handling is weird, very slippery.
Characters have slow walk and fast walk animations but no run animation.
The graphics and sounds are good enough for me but I need the handling/controls to be like GTA1/GTA2 for me to really like it.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Hey that works pretty nice. I like the fact that I directly joined a game online - no problems.

My small quick crits:

- remove the streetlights or make them break-able, now they slow down the driving a lot.
- map is a little dark
- car driving is not so smooth.
- some graphics looks not so nice, but that is just personal.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

I've seen lots of GTA2 inspired games, but GCT is definitely one of the most promising. Great job so far!

Car handling indeed needs more work. It's nice to have cars with a little more mass than those in GTA2, but it's hard to control them while turning or braking. Since the cars are 3D, you might considering tilting the camera ever so slightly like in GTA Chinatown Wars to give them more depth. The cars themselves look great and -most importantly- there's a good variety. Maybe it could use some more large vehicles like trucks etc, but I'm sure you'll get to details like that later. Also, bonus points for including a Citroen 2CV!

I noticed some weapons end up in the same slot. I haven't tried or compared all weapons yet, but don't get tempted to make to much of them. This is a fast game, so it's better to have a few well-balanced weapons, than a large arsenal players have to choose from. Like Sektor, I'm not sure about the mouse aiming. Aiming like this is a lot easier than using the arrow keys, with the risk of becoming to easy. At the other hand, aiming molotovs with the mouse works a lot better than holding the ctrl key. Walking in the direction of the cursor feels awkward - even more so because I'm used to drive with the arrow keys, which means I have to switch between the keyboard and mouse when I get in or out of a car.

The streetlight-issue Pete adressed was probably the first thing I ran into (quite literally), so please consider making them unsolid or breakable. And speaking of light, I really like the lighting, just make sure shadows don't get to dark to see what's going on in there.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Re: Greedy Car Thieves

Post by Salamander »

Very impressive! I'll be testing this in Gentoo x86_64 soon. Currently using and testing Nouveau + Gallium which does not support OpenGL yet.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

I had time to test it, here are some things you can improve:

1- Dynamic range. In night mode the lights are very pretty, but you need to increase ambient, because it's no fun when you can't see half the map. My screen is adjusted well, in fact I use a hardware calibrator, so the problem definitely isn't on my end. In day mode the light is equally wonderful

2- Control.
2a- If you want to stick with the keyboard-and-mouse control, then we need to be able to control the character without moving our left hand from the keyboard. Currently we need to do that to hit enter to leave/enter a car. I would also like to be able to control the character using the arrow keys (or any other alternative such as W S A D) while using the mouse for aiming.
2b- I would prefer a keyboard-only control, not only because that's the way it is in GTA2, but also because of the skill such control requires and helps create. If someone had told me I could run around in GTA2 and then to snipe another player at the edge of the screen using a rocket launcher (none in your game?) while turning around, I wouldn't have believed him. Now I don't need to believe it, because I can do it. I don't think a keyboard-and-mouse control can get anywhere near that. I suggest you let the player choose how he wants to be able to control his character, whether keyboard-only, or keyboard-and-mouse, adjustable in your options panel. If you do implement this, remember to disable weapon shot spread - weapons should be 100% accurate (99% at least, just to keep the graphics from being identical) for keyboard-only mode, otherwise the skill I wrote about above won't apply.

3- The game should not hog all key strokes - it should allow one to use alt+tab and other keyboard shortcuts (kde, gnome, windows, etc, plenty of different possible keyboard shortcuts there!)

4- Clipping. Too many things are solid. While realistic, they make car chaces no fun, or even walking.

5- Weapon boundaries. Although there's a large blue light around weapons, we need to go right across the middle of them to pick them up. It would be nicer if just going over the blue light was enough to pick a weapon up.

6- Our character seems to only be able to walk. No running = no fun (eh, DMA?)

7- Cars are anemic. The game would be more fun if reversing didn't take so long.

8- Car auto-alignment with the road doesn't always work well. It seems that when I drive fast the game tries to align my car with the road, but it often fails and only aligns me partly, I still drive off the road at a small angle. e.g. If the alignment would require a 20° turn, the game seems to align me 18° and I'm still left driving off the road at 2°.
chomzee
Ped
Ped

Post by chomzee »

Thanks for your feedback! We will surely follow some of your advices and fix stuff in further versions.
chomzee
Ped
Ped

Post by chomzee »

We've just released a new version. The game is getting better and better. There's been a lot of changes and improvements. Check it out at http://gct-game.net/

See you in game!
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

the new gui looks great. nice round corners and clear icons. sound is also better. driving car is also better because the street lights can be hit over, still the handling is strange in comparison to gta2.

nice work! :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Good to see updates. Please add GTA2 style controls.

Posted on main site: http://gtamp.com/2011/05/17/greedy-car-thieves-update/
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

GCT used to have GTA2-type controls, and then it got changed to mouse control. The bad move in that wasn't the change itself, it was that the user wasn't given any choice in how he wants to control his character. If you give power to the gamer through preferences then you're doing The Right Thing, otherwise you'll always be making either one or the other group unhappy.
djrizzz
Ped
Ped
GH nick: gk nicki

Post by djrizzz »

The car handling is weird, very slippery.
Characters have slow walk and fast walk animations but no run animation.
remo