Useful programs and websites

Talk about anything here that isn't related to the other topics.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Useful programs and websites

Post by Pyro »

Hey, just thought I'd start a topic like this where we can share some useful programs and websites (apart from the most obvious like YouTube, Google etc which we all know). If you can include the link and a small description that'd be great, maybe I can add them to this post too for a nice collection. 8-)

So, I'll start off with some of my favourites:

Programs
  • Firefox - My favourite browser, infinitely superior to Internet Explorer and supports nice add-ons.
    • Adblock Plus - The most essential add-on for Firefox that blocks nearly every advert you see. Can't use Firefox without it!
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - A useful program that removes adware, malware, cookies and temporary files from your browser(s) and can 'immunise' certain files to prevent browser hi-jacking.
  • AVG Anti-Virus - Anti-virus software, had no real problems with it and only ever had one false positive.
  • Little Registry Cleaner - A handy registry cleaning tool for Windows (32 and 64-bit versions) and is free to use (GNU Public License).
  • PeerBlock - A handy program that will block various IP's 'talking' to your computer. Essential if you use torrent software!
  • µTorrent - A lightweight, easy to use torrent client. Handy to use PeerBlock too at the same time.
Websites
  • 10 Minute Mail - A great website to get a free, disposable e-mail that lasts 10 minutes if you don't want to give your real address away for something. Can renew the timer too if you need to.
  • Listen to YouTube - A useful website to download stuff from YouTube into mp3 format.
  • SourceForge - Great website with a lot of free/open-source software, bound to find something on there that is useful like the above Little Registry Cleaner.
More to come later hopefully!
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Useful programs and websites

Post by elypter »

Pyro wrote: [*]Listen to YouTube - A useful website to download stuff from YouTube into mp3 format.
i prefer http://www.share-tube.eu
lets you choose format and last time i used it it was really fast
and most importantly it downloads stuff that is blocked in my country
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Firefox plugins:
- Stylish - edit annoying stuff out of websites.
- DownloadHelper - download youtube, and any other flash videos from almost any website.

Programs:
- KidKeyLock - lock keys/mouse.
- Dropbox - backup data / share between computers easily.
- Avast! - antivirus that doesnt crash/freeze your computer (yet).
- TrueCrypt - hardcore file privacy.
- f.lux - use computer at night without eyes bleeding.
- mp3DirectCut - cut mp3's without losing quality.
- The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator - add new char symbols for your keys.
Pyro wrote:Spybot Search & Destroy - A useful program that removes adware, malware, cookies and temporary files from your browser(s) and can 'immunise' certain files to prevent browser hi-jacking.
I stopped using Spybot long time ago... Why? it was some sort of trojan or smthing. cant remember exactly but it was hard to even remove it. I suffered enough from it that im not taking it back. Ever.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

ulrtamon,widcomm bluetooth stack,glovepie,notepad++,dopus,processxp,process monitor,dtools,paint.net,putty,wamp,mcp,vlc,virtual box,speedfan,square7.ch,Beyond Compare/winmerge,wireshark,imgburn,droppix recorder,corel draw,super,trillian....

min.us,imgur.com,vectormagic.com,youtuberepeat.com,hidemyass.com/youtube-proxy/,google reverse image search,archive.org....

dont have access to my bookmarks so thats it for now
Last edited by elypter on 25 Aug 2012, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

CCleaner is very useful. Cleans the temporary files from a lot of programs. Can also clean the register.

VirtualBox, to run an Ubuntu virtual machine to put all the dirty stuff on and don't get infected on the real machine.

Foobar2000, simple and clean mp3 player.

Than I got a whole bunch of image editing programs, like Inkscape (vector), GIMP (bitmap), Blender (3D), mypaint (painting, duh) and Google Sketchup (3D and pre-design).
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."