Top Gun: Fire At Will using DOS Box

Talk about anything here that isn't related to the other topics.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Top Gun: Fire At Will using DOS Box

Post by BenMillard »

Finally, an adequate solution to get the only flying game I like to work on my PC! This comes after much wishful thinking. I finally got my research head together just the night before last.

It ran nicely back in the day, on my P100 with 16MB RAM with a joystick. That machine no longer exists. On this machine in the emulator I can run it with way higher graphics but flying with the keyboard gets quite glitchy.

Anyone else remember this game? This weekend I'll be retrieving my joystick from Hampshire and reuniting it with my PC to see how well it works.

The gameplay is a bit like GTA. Lots of action but not all the time. You have missions and objectives but ultimately you decide the tactics and your skill wins the day. Big landscapes but lacking real detail. Crazy radio stations are replaced by cheeky radio chatter, although that sadly isn't working for me at the moment.

(EDIT) Partial success! Gameplay and most sound effects work great with my old 2-button, 2-axis joystick on maximum for most graphical settings. Dialogue is still never played. Maybe needs some MIDI setup.