TRON: Legacy

Talk about anything here that isn't related to the other topics.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

TRON: Legacy

Post by Cuban-Pete »

The trailers look awesome:

1:

2:

3:

Watch on 1080p fullscreen! :D
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Re: TRON: Legacy

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Ha, TRON runs on SolarOS... :)

sanity check. haha
solarOS.jpg
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Lucky for him it didn't need a password. I wonder why he tries the username backdoor.

I won a ticket to Tron Night, so I saw a 23 minute screening in 3D. It looks interesting. I have no memory of the first movie.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:Lucky for him it didn't need a password. I wonder why he tries the username backdoor.

I won a ticket to Tron Night, so I saw a 23 minute screening in 3D. It looks interesting. I have no memory of the first movie.
Me neither, I think almost nobody on these forums has seen the first movie. :)
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I was born in 1985 but saw the first one on TV, at least two times, about 10 years apart. There's an amazing amount of technical jargon and references woven seamlessly into the naming of characters, objects and locations. Has a slight feel of The Wizard of Oz to it - adventurous trek through a fantasy world to see a wise central character and destroy a tyrant.

The Matrix seems quite clumsy and obvious by comparison. That's kinda the point of The Matrix, though - you can understand it without reading every book O'Reilly have published.

My favourite TRON: Legacy poster is the first one I saw, via e-mail from a colleague:
(It gets added to a pair of other promotional posters to great one large scene.)

There's a TRON: Legacy microsite, done in Flash of course. The visuals certainly seem refined - hopefully they haven't skimped on the plot and the acting.

I'm not going to delve into anything about it beyond this. I plan to see it at a cinema with a friend, or with my family or both at different times in different cinemas.

The proliferation of bright, narrow, neon borders with unnecessary 45­­° kinks reminds so strongly of the late 1990's...but it's such high resolution and the lighting is so radiant. Here's to a successful reinvention of a classic...or so I hope!
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Yeah, it's always wait and see if it will be a good movie or a disaster.

What I also like is that Daft Punk is doing music, I couldn't think of any better combo.

Tron: Legacy Daft Punk "Derezzed" Music Video Trailer Official (HD):
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

I'm also curious to see if it delivers what it promised. If i remember right it was almost a year ago when it was announced.

And it would be great to watch it on my 3d monitor. There are still so few movies available.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

I'm a fan of retro films and I saw the first Tron, but I didn't like it much. In fact most films about computers piss me off because the script writers seem to forget that not all of their future audience is computer-illiterate and not all of them are dazzled by something as simple as saying "kernel" and "di-rec-to-ry", by characters scrolling across the screen after doing "ls -l" or "dir", or believing that actors see world events by watching meaningless crap fall down the screen. Computer-based films could be so much more interesting if they actually hired an eight year old kid to watch it and point out obvious idiocies. There is one computer-based film I mostly liked - WarGames from 1983. See it.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

The original TRON went pretty deep with the terms, analogies and metaphors for the mainframes servers of that time.

I've seen WarGames a couple of times on TV during the last 15 years. It was OK...didn't strike me as being BEST EVAR HAXX0R flick, though.

Did you see the film Hackers, with Angelina Jolie as a co-star, from...1990's? The characters were kinda annoying but very much of that era. Seemed cool to me when I was 14 and had written code for a few years. Was nostalgic to see it again, a decade later.

Spooks, a UK drama about MI-6 operatives, sometimes has plausible cyber-attacks and counter-attacks portrayed well. Lots of over-designed GUIs, but occasionally, there's a gem.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

Of course I've seen Hackers, it's a cult film, although also way too detached from reality to be thoroughly enjoyable. That's why I like WarGames - apart for the tic-tac-toe thing, the things the kid shows his girlfriend, presumably to get her wet, are all valid phreaking techniques.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Warning: spoilers alert!

I saw TRON: Legacy 3D and blogged a little about the experience. It mostly didn't seem to be in 3D but the bits that were really made up for it.

It struck me as more of a spectacle and action type thing than the original, which was an adventure quest sorta thing. A few bits were rather slow and/or awkward, in hindsight. But I went in determined to avoid nit-picking and enjoyed it because it is a good experience.

Won't go on my list of modern classics...but that list has pretty much 0 items now we're a whole decade into this century. Inception had a cerebral aspect that I haven't seen the original TRON; was kinda hoping TRON: Legacy would really go for it but it feels a bit dumbed down.

The game sequences have the slightest sense of FnF about them but, again, didn't realise that while I was in the cinema. The backdrops and lighting are impressive. Especially if you're used to working with 256x256x6 car-sizes cubes. ;)

The scenes change a lot, a bit like Terminator 2. But they always feel coherent and the suspension of disbelief it creates, given the chance, really drew me in. Continuity is fine and there's a sense of progress and increasing drama as it progresses.

(EDIT) Have seen it again, in 3D. Didn't think it would stand watching twice but it totally did! Really appreciated the spectacle and noticed a touch more depth to the script. Would recommend this to any sci-fi fan.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I also watched it now and I really enjoy it. There is some nice action in it, it looks really nice and the idea about a digital world/DNA and that stuff is pretty interesting. The music is also good and fits well with scenes. Perhaps some minor things, the face of the young flynn looks decent, but still fake when he talks and distracted me. Something about the lightbikes. They appear from "nowhere" (just a little stick) is awesome, but if that was the case I would carry like 10 or more of them also for lightplanes or something, but none of the characters did, only one had an extra with him. Perhaps they are expensive in that world... :)

...and of course, physics is complete bullcrap in that world, but who cares. :mrgreen:
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

In the movie the 'gate' stays open for 1ms (in our time) and in the machine that is 8 hours.

I sometimes think about this and wonder if we spend one year on earth, how long that would be in the machine. What would be a way to calculate that? Or is it simple that 1 year here is 28800k year there??? :shock: :shock:

My proof (if you can speak dutch):
proof.jpg
proof.jpg (34.09 KiB) Viewed 19541 times
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

The timings don't add up at all within the movie. It's a movie, not a technical documentary, so I let them get away with that.

They are total bunkum and the stated rate isn't even the same throughout the story. It's given in vague terms which are different by orders of magnitude. Of course, the hardware running the system should double every year and a half but even that didn't seem to account for the differences, from what I recall.

Most obviously, consider how the father has aged at the same rate we would have done outside the system. And yet time progresses at a faster rate - many orders of magnitude faster, if we take the portal timing as canonical.

Of course, this is because he's an actor. This is a movie. And it's that number of years since he starred in the original movie.

These aren't the important things about the experience of watching it, imho. So I forgive them.