Hi folks!

Discussion about the website and the forum goes here.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Hi folks!

Post by Pyro »

Hi all! :D

Somehow managed to stumble my way into here through a link off GTA Forums and nice to see some familiar faces (and new ones!) who are still interested in GTA2! For those who can't/don't remember who I am, I am the person who wrote the original GTA2 scripting help file and tutorials (most of it found here) and generally made maps and scripts a good few years back (some notable ones included SanAn Scramble and Tanks in Miami) as well as being the first person to make trains fully work in custom maps and make use of the SWAT team remap on characters. Fun days!

Since we all know how the official GTA2 map editor doesn't like working properly in anything other than Windows 98 with 16-bit colour that is the biggest reason why I dropped off in the GTA2 modding scene (plus other things like working, going to college and university and all that jazz!). But, when I first saw B-$heps map editor re-make on the GTA Forums that roused my interest again, and then finally coming here and seeing TradeMark's progress with a map editor re-make as well, I might have a good reason to try doing it again! After looking back at some of my old work I realised how awful some of them were and others I'd love to go back to and re-do! :lol:

I'll have to get some of my old stuff back on to my new PC and start fiddling with it again, although I've forgotten most of it now :oops: So I'll have to look through my old MIS files and try remembering it over time! Should be fun!

Anyway, enough waffle by me... good to see you all again! :)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Re: Hi folks!

Post by Razor »

Hi, good to see you :)
Yay, living legend
Could you tell me what happend with mp4 amd mp5 maps? I always wondered why they were not included
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

mp4 and mp5 maps? I'm not sure what you mean :| It has been quite a while so you've stumped me by your question already! :o
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

in data folder we have 3 additional multiplayer maps:
hidden supriese- GMPFile = MP2-comp.gmp;
tinny town - GMPFile = MP1-comp.gmp;
Face Off - GMPFile = MP5-comp.gmp );

i suppose there were MP4-comp.gmp, and MP3-comp.gmp maps :)
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Interesting! Never actually noticed after all these years! My guess is scrapped maps (not enough time to make them? Made them and they turned out to be rubbish?). And before I forget, need to download the lite-version of GTA2 (no music) and mess about! Might finally have an excuse to try out Sektors Game Hunter ;)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

http://gtamp.com/gta2 here you are :)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Hi and welcome. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Hi, good to see youre alive Pyro :P and welcome
You just lost the game.
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Hey, hi there, Pyro! Sure has been a while!
Razor wrote:Could you tell me what happend with mp4 amd mp5 maps? I always wondered why they were not included
Someone (I think it was Delfi) asked the same thing directly to some DMA devs at their old forums (offline now, mirror at Web Archive). They answered they made a bunch of multiplayer maps, but that only a few of them were chosen for the final game. Same goes for the bonus maps "lorne1e", "lorne1m" and "lorne1h".
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

is it possible to relase them? :D If they are not done we can finish them :D
Lantyz
Psycho
Psycho
GH nick: Lantyz

Post by Lantyz »

Don't ask me; ask Rockstar. I doubt they're still around, though, even back then they didn't mentioned how the levels looked or what happened to them. And even if they are still around, I don't think the Rockstar Games we know today would release them.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Hi Pyro, good to see you are still interested in GTA. I still refer to your tutorial from time to time.

It seems like Razor thought Pyro worked for DMA Design since he posted that he wrote the original scripting tutorial but Pyro didn't write the GTA2 Scripting.doc, he is just dedicated a fan/modder who wrote some unofficial tutorials and made many maps/scripts.

Footy Fever
Deathstruction Derby
Breakout
Hyrolite
Light Headed
SanAn Scramble

There were also some singleplayer maps. I still have GTA Invasion and OBT. I will put them on the site soon but I might make 1 player MMP files for them and use the GXTFile = obt.gxt feature supported by Vike's v11.3 GTA2.exe. It's better than overwriting e.gxt and test1.seq.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Hi Sektor thanks for the welcome! :)

It is good to see some of my old work is out and about (thanks for actually keeping most of it!). I should really get my old stuff together and release them (maps, scripts, everything) to the masses. I have a lot of unfinished stuff lying about and half complete scripts with testing stuff in it (probably more than I released!) and general fluff that might not make much sense, but if anyone wants it let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up (most of it is on an old IDE hard drive somewhere, and the motherboard I have makes it a pain in the ass to connect it!).

8-)

Edit - What's up with my title being 'Ped'? Who would I have to preach to maybe get it changed? ;)
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Your title will change when you make more posts but if you want something custom, just ask. List of current ranks are in this topic.
Pyro wrote:I have a lot of unfinished stuff lying about and half complete scripts with testing stuff in it (probably more than I released!) and general fluff that might not make much sense
I can relate to that. I have the same, it's a mess. Release as much as you can, especially the .mis files for the maps that you already released. The .mis files can now be used to make screenshots of the maps that show the weapon locations (thanks to Trademark's map viewer).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Pyro, yay! I go by my real name (Ben Millard) rather than "Cerbera" these days. Also, a few of those tutorials are my work - you're credited at the bottom of all the ones you supplied me with, though.

I thought I made a really really really basic website for you some years ago? Ah here we go...hmm...looks like Elxxy pulled the plug on it? Looks like my local version has gone as well, probably on my backup drive.

Using this forum to release your work would actually be perfect. Other modders can discuss the techniques you use. PLEASE PLEASE include your .mis files! Most of your levels didn't have them when I tried them a couple of years back, IIRC. That oil rig one looked interesting but it seemed to need 4 players to run. (I walked around it using minimal multiplayer script, could be turned into a cool arena like Unreal Tournament. Man, can you believe that was, like, 10 years ago?!)

It seems the G! Forums are pretty much done with GTA modding and GTA Forums is too big and full of newbies. To start with, I was very sceptical about Sektor's decision to make his own forum. But it has turned out very well; it fills a niche and provides a really useful knowledge exchange for the veteran modders and frequent players.

My day job keeps me totally snowed under all through the week and some local work does a bit of my weekend, too. Add in the grown-up errands I know foray into and not much is left for GTA! All the same, I maintain all my released GTA2 levels to date. There's even a couple you might not have seen, yet!

Anyway, great to see you are back -- even if it's just popping by. 8-)